Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Black Presidential Dollar

I saw searching through rolls of Washington dollars and found a black one. I got this coin out of a BU roll from a local bank. This coin is just like it came from the bank roll, trust me if I was trying to pull a scam I wouldnt be bothering with the experts at PCGS I would be on ebay. I'm just wondering if I can spend the money to get this coin graded without getting it body bagged, I know its from the bank roll and want to grade the coin. Please let me know if pcgs will grade it or body bad it?

Thank you for any feedback image

Comments

• Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    pic doesn't show
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    sTONERsTONER Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭
    no racial comments pleese,, pics only
    toner loner
  • Options
    I might have to make them smaller have them on a local server and they showed up on my end, thnks.
  • Options
    racial? Thats just the color the coin looks.
  • Options
    sTONERsTONER Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭
    im sorry, i thought you found a black president
    toner loner
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've recieved reports of these.

They are "sintered planchets"
    from being mis-annealed in the
    annealing process.

They have a black, but lusterous
    surface to them.

Same thing happens to other denominations,
    especially State Quarters and Nickels.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Sounds pretty cool.
  • Options
    A Senior Member replied already with some nice info. I might have to get this coin out on the next flight for California image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Just red x's.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    you need to upload your photos to something like photobucket.com for us to be able to see them

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    OK will do sorry for the problems
  • Options
    Want to see the dollar, anxious here
  • Options
    gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    well....
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    yep it worked. looks like what fred was talking about.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    I found one that looks just like that. Are they worth anymore than a dollar?
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of looks like what the 2000 Sacs looked like after being in circulation for a bit.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    I have one on the end of a roll from the mint. You can see it on all of lady liberty.
    Do they bring a premium
  • Options
    What I want to know is WHO THE HELL IS IN CHARGE OF THE FREAKIN' US MINT?????

The quality of these prez coins is an absolute freakin' joke. Edge lettering debacles, black coins. They must really have absolute ZERO quality control for circulation coins. One would think error coins from all denominations would be slipping thru the cracks with this sort of quality control. I have to wonder how soon the articles will be running in coin mags about the poor quality control coming out of the US Mint. Someone outta lose their job.
  • Options
    LouisCampLouisCamp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What I want to know is WHO THE HELL IS IN CHARGE OF THE FREAKIN' US MINT?????

The quality of these prez coins is an absolute freakin' joke. Edge lettering debacles, black coins. They must really have absolute ZERO quality control for circulation coins. One would think error coins from all denominations would be slipping thru the cracks with this sort of quality control. I have to wonder how soon the articles will be running in coin mags about the poor quality control coming out of the US Mint. Someone outta lose their job. >>

Well maybe the workers realized that nobody was going to use them anyway.....

Lou
    lchobbyco
    ANA Life-Member
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What I want to know is WHO THE HELL IS IN CHARGE OF THE FREAKIN' US MINT?????

The quality of these prez coins is an absolute freakin' joke. Edge lettering debacles, black coins. They must really have absolute ZERO quality control for circulation coins. One would think error coins from all denominations would be slipping thru the cracks with this sort of quality control. I have to wonder how soon the articles will be running in coin mags about the poor quality control coming out of the US Mint. Someone outta lose their job. >>

Not that I like the errors, but is it really a big deal? They still spend, don't they? Granted, it looks like we don't know how to mint coins to the rest of the world, but besides us collectors, who really cares?
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Amen, ellewood. It appears quality control is in the toilet and production protocol is a minor consideration. Granted that these are business strikes, but geez.....doesn't anyone at Mint have a sense of pride in his job?
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Nope
  • Options

The inmates are running the asylumimage
    Connecting a Windows PC to the Internet is like dressing in hundred-dollar bills and taking a walk in a bad neighborhood.
  • Options

<< <i>What I want to know is WHO THE HELL IS IN CHARGE OF THE FREAKIN' US MINT????? The quality of these prez coins is an absolute freakin' joke. Edge lettering debacles, black coins. They must really have absolute ZERO quality control for circulation coins. One would think error coins from all denominations would be slipping thru the cracks with this sort of quality control. I have to wonder how soon the articles will be running in coin mags about the poor quality control coming out of the US Mint. Someone outta lose their job. >>

Tell us about your accomplishments running multi-billion-dollar production facilities. And then add the challenge of reporting to govt burocracy...I think the mint's track record is pretty good.
  • Options
    Can't see it! I have a black Jefferson nickel and was wondering if it looked the same.
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha
  • Options
    imageCollector Of All U.S. Gold Coinage!
    Antique Soda Bottles And Antique Soda Related
    Advertising, and many other collectables!
    Life is too short, I might as well buy Gold while I'm still around!image
  • Options
    Tell us about your accomplishments running multi-billion-dollar production facilities. And then add the challenge of reporting to govt burocracy...I think the mint's track record is pretty good.

I never said a thing about the mint's track record, I simply stated that the Mint is royalling screwing up the Presidential Dollars and that the quality control SUCKS.

What the hell does THIS have to do with ME running a "multi-billion-dollar production facility? When was the last time you heard of circulation strike pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, halves and dollars being minted with so many errors and varieties in the first week of release? Never. A majority of these rejects should have never made it out of the mint's doors, correct????
  • Options
    Here are some photo bucket links I have just made.

Maybe those will work for you
  • Options
    Ellwood,
    You support my point in that this is unusual and the mint's track record is pretty good.

I don't criticise organizations unless I think I know how to do better.

Suppose every error that Ford made was put on ebay as a "FMC Error". How do you think they would look...and I wouldn't want anybody following me around with a video camera posting all my daily errors. The mint works in a fishbowl and generally the quality is good or else errors wouldn't be so expensive.

I do admit that with all the multitude of different offerings in the past few years, especially the quarters, there seem to be more errors than when they were just "sticking to the knitting" in the 40's thru 80s with just a few varieties of coinage. Indeed, startup is an error likely situation.

In the case of these dollars, there appears to be a glitch with the 2 step process. The number found so far is maybe high, maybe low. It also is not at all clear if it has been corrected yet. We don't know the story at all...but recall the story of the 55 ddo cent that became public years later...

As for the black dollars, I haven't seen one yet but Fred says it happens from time to time with lots of coins...

I just don't see enough evidence to declare the mint incompetent yet...

--Jerry
  • Options
    I've recently upgraded to VISTA and still havent got all the kinks worked out. I've had to write off my scanner for now and some other little things have quit working.
  • Options

Nice color.

<< <i>image

<< <i>

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What I want to know is WHO THE HELL IS IN CHARGE OF THE FREAKIN' US MINT????? The quality of these prez coins is an absolute freakin' joke. Edge lettering debacles, black coins. They must really have absolute ZERO quality control for circulation coins. One would think error coins from all denominations would be slipping thru the cracks with this sort of quality control. I have to wonder how soon the articles will be running in coin mags about the poor quality control coming out of the US Mint. Someone outta lose their job. >>

Tell us about your accomplishments running multi-billion-dollar production facilities. And then add the challenge of reporting to govt burocracy...I think the mint's track record is pretty good. >>

I knew that we could count on you, Jerry.
  • Options
    I see it now, I see it now... My black nickel is similiar.It's hard to see the lettering, but the coin looks uncirculated in hand.imageimage
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha
  • Options
    300,000,000 business strikes....I think they are doing a great job.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options

<< <i>I see it now, I see it now... My black nickel is similiar.It's hard to see the lettering, but the coin looks uncirculated in hand. >>

I remember finding numerous black 1954S nickels about 16 years ago. It was very common with some of the 1950's dates. I found entire rolls of them.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Tell us about your accomplishments running multi-billion-dollar production facilities. And then add the challenge of reporting to govt burocracy...I think the mint's track record is pretty good. >>

I knew that we could count on you, Jerry. >>

I try to be consistent.
  • Options
    I'm still wondering if this coin can be graded by pcgs or not. Would I just be waisting my money and get a no grade if I submitted it? And if I can submit it what service should I use? Just MINT ERRORS service or do I have to add that in addition to another service. I just dont want to wast any money submitting something I shouldnt have. Thanks...
  • Options

<< <i>They must really have absolute ZERO quality control for circulation coins. >>

Why do you say that? The judgement on quality control for circulation coins is "Are they identifiable? Why they work in the machines and hand to hand transactions? Can they be handled by the automated counting and rolling machines?" If they pass those questions then they pass quality control for circulation coins. What you are wanting is for coins struck for circulation coin quality to also pass collector coin quality control. That is unreasonable.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They must really have absolute ZERO quality control for circulation coins. >>

Why do you say that? The judgement on quality control for circulation coins is "Are they identifiable? Why they work in the machines and hand to hand transactions? Can they be handled by the automated counting and rolling machines?" If they pass those questions then they pass quality control for circulation coins. What you are wanting is for coins struck for circulation coin quality to also pass collector coin quality control. That is unreasonable. >>

Bingo...

Plus they did a bang up job on the 20th Ann ASE's Sets...

These errors have set the place for Prez Dollars into the future...

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've recieved reports of these.

They are "sintered planchets"
    from being mis-annealed in the
    annealing process.

They have a black, but lusterous
    surface to them.

Same thing happens to other denominations,
    especially State Quarters and Nickels. >>

Weren't there a whole lot of 1959-P nickels that came out of original rolls a nice, glossy black? SOme dealer used to promote them as "Black Beauty" errors? As I recall they were caused by improper (i.e., too long) annealing.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're right Tom -

They were called "Black Beauties"
    for the 1958 nd 1959 dated Jefferson
    Nickels like this.

They have also occured on State Quarters;
    mostly Mississippi and Illiniois !!

(I'll show you some at Charlotte or Central States)
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I've recieved reports of these. They are "sintered planchets" from being mis-annealed in the annealing process. They have a black, but lusterous surface to them. Same thing happens to other denominations, especially State Quarters and Nickels. >>

Weren't there a whole lot of 1959-P nickels that came out of original rolls a nice, glossy black? SOme dealer used to promote them as "Black Beauty" errors? As I recall they were caused by improper (i.e., too long) annealing. TD >>

I'd be interested to understand the annealing process used by the mint. Perhaps it could also be caused by oxygen intrusion. Annealing is likely performed in an inert environment. --Jerry
  • Options
    DrWhoDrWho Posts: 562 ✭✭

<< <i>The inmates are running the asylumimage >>

hum, this is an idea. maybe they outsourced production to prisons, so now the inmates make PresBucks, instead of license plates. looks like they're using the same planchet!
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    So, BrickLayer........ you want to send this to PCGS for a body bag?
    Why?
    You can save time a lot of goofing around by just flushing your money down a toilet. No fuss, no bother.

Ray

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file