Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What would be the impact on prices and grade premiums if all holders were like this?

In the post the other day about the new Presidential Dollars, our own CoinKing noted that (and I quote):

<< <i>The coin and grade information (and First Day of Issue -- if applicable) goes on the reverse, just as it does with the special inserts we did for the 50 States Quarters Flag series.

image >>

I believe that if the numerical grades were on the back of all holders, there would be a profound impact on buying behavior, and collectors would be far less willing to pay significant premiums for an additional grading point or two.

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't agree. Now, if they left the grade off completely I might! image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those holders look like they are intended for the general public, not serious collectors. The Registry folks won't care where the grade is listed.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Some collectors might not emphasize the number more than the coin if the grade wasn't as prominent. On the other hand, I don't think it would matter to the registry folks.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    That is some mighty fine lookin' plastic. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those holders look like they are intended for the general public, not serious collectors.

Will "serious collectors" have an interest in these coins?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Some collectors might not emphasize the number more than the coin if the grade wasn't as prominent. On the other hand, I don't think it would matter to the registry folks. >>

some of us registry folks really appreciate the coins in our sets.
  • Options
    Here's a new style that I saw on ebay today:

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Those holders look like they are intended for the general public, not serious collectors.

Will "serious collectors" have an interest in these coins? >>

I think they could, especially since it looks like they could be very hard to find above MS-65.

Though I suspect most serious collectors would buy a lot of rolls and make their own rather than pay a thousand bucks for a 67 or 68.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In the post the other day about the new Presidential Dollars, our own CoinKing noted that (and I quote):

<< <i>The coin and grade information (and First Day of Issue -- if applicable) goes on the reverse, just as it does with the special inserts we did for the 50 States Quarters Flag series.

image >>

I believe that if the numerical grades were on the back of all holders, there would be a profound impact on buying behavior, and collectors would be far less willing to pay significant premiums for an additional grading point or two. >>

I disagree. I think people would start looking at the reverse first, and dealers start would start displaying the coins with the reverse side up to make it easier for perspective buyers to see what they really care yo see.

I like TDN's idea of no grade on the holder. I even like the idea of the TPG grading the coin and giving it a serial number. The submitter of the coin can decide whether to make this available on the TPG's website (like cert # look-up works now) or keep it private.
  • Options
    I don't really care about these coins, but I'm sure I'll want at least one of each Prez for my type set.

That being said, I want them all in standard one sided blue labels, NOT these front and back artsy things, just so they display uniformly with all of my other type coins.

...the same reason I cross perfectly good NGC coins...

Rex
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Those holders look like they are intended for the general public, not serious collectors.

Will "serious collectors" have an interest in these coins? >>

I doubt that the series will do well with serious collectors. The coins are so poorly designed that many will probably just ignore them. I think of them as being in a league with Chuck-E-Cheese tokens.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>I disagree. I think people would start looking at the reverse first, and dealers start would start displaying the coins with the reverse side up to make it easier for perspective buyers to see what they really care to see. >>

If you believe - as I do - that the majority of today's buyers (note I didn't say collectors) want to see the numerical grade, how can you explain PCGS's decision to put the numerical grade on the reverse?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I disagree. I think people would start looking at the reverse first, and dealers start would start displaying the coins with the reverse side up to make it easier for perspective buyers to see what they really care to see. >>

If you believe - as I do - that the majority of today's buyers (note I didn't say collectors) want to see the numerical grade, how can you explain PCGS's decision to put the numerical grade on the reverse? >>

They are marketing and selling these as trinkets, not numismatic delicacies.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe this is true and history would support that thought. The first NGC holder, which is the black core holder, had the coin grade on the reverse and the NGC logo on the obverse. It was a failure and I think one reason was that folks complained that they wanted the details of the coin on the obverse.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Call me a radical or a heretic or whatever..... So far as I am concerned, they can leave the grade off the slab... But authenticate, certify, & slab the coins, no body-bags...... Just list whatever is wrong with it.... pitting, cleaning, filing, whizzing, rim nicks, repaired, etc.....

I have quite a few RARE dates that would fit this description..... I don't care how they grade, I just like to know that they are authentic...... ANACS suits my needs because of that, and I get a grade too......

This way they also get some protection from the environment....
  • Options

<< <i>I don't believe this is true and history would support that thought. >>

You don't believe what is true?
  • Options
    He doesn't believe thie is true.

<< <i>I believe that if the numerical grades were on the back of all holders, there would be a profound impact on buying behavior, and collectors would be far less willing to pay significant premiums for an additional grading point or two. >>

As he said the first NGC holder had the grade and serial number on the back and the collecting community rejected it. They wanted the grade information on the obverse.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He doesn't believe thie is true.

<< <i>I believe that if the numerical grades were on the back of all holders, there would be a profound impact on buying behavior, and collectors would be far less willing to pay significant premiums for an additional grading point or two. >>

As he said the first NGC holder had the grade and serial number on the back and the collecting community rejected it. They wanted the grade information on the obverse. >>

But doesn't that 2nd quote actually support the original statement? The collecting community originally rejected that holder - in other words they didn't want to spend as much for coins that were in it.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    True collectors would rather have the #'s on the reverse, I believe.

Registry collectors are clearly more # sensitive, so they wouldn't be as happy with the #'s on the back.

The general public wouldn't care, IMHO, but it is more attractive with the #'s on the reverse.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd think that Serious Collectors™ would prefer the number on the back. After all, collecting is about the coin and its historical significance, not about a number on a piece of plastic, right?
  • Options
    I love the idea of no grade holders too....or maybe just verifing that it is real.......

AL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file