Home U.S. Coin Forum

All things being equal...

Hi, just wanted the general consensus out there. Say you have a long running series, like Lincoln cents, and you have to choose between an earlier date (pre 1935) in MS65 or MS66, or a later date (1955-1970) in MS67 or MS68, with both coins being essentially equal in value per the retail guide. The later date in that condition is more scarce per the pop reports. Neither is considered a "key date." Aside from filling a hole in the registry set, would you be inclined to go with the earlier date or the later date, and why? Thanks.

Comments

• I'd choose the earlier date, cause I'm trying to complete a red lincoln set, and I don't really care what they grade as long as its at least an ms63rd (I already have all the memorials in red)
    I like cheese, notes, and coins. In that order.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Personally, it does not matter. Within one MS66 grade you can get such a wide range of luster and toning that I would take the one that looks best. Most likely an early lightly toned MS66 or the newer one with impressive luster in 68.
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi, just wanted the general consensus out there. Say you have a long running series, like Lincoln cents, and you have to choose between an earlier date (pre 1935) in MS65 or MS66, or a later date (1955-1970) in MS67 or MS68, with both coins being essentially equal in value per the retail guide. The later date in that condition is more scarce per the pop reports. Neither is considered a "key date." Aside from filling a hole in the registry set, would you be inclined to go with the earlier date or the later date, and why? Thanks. >>

Depends on a few factors.

Did I want each coin in the "best grade affordable" or just all nice coins above a certain grade? If the former I might be tempted by the nicer semi-modern. If the latter, I'd probably go for the early date.

• << <i>All things being equal... >>

I'd go with the earlier date..Mintage figures do it for me also..
    ......Larry........image

• << <i>

<< <i>All things being equal... >>

Buy the coin with the best eye appeal.
  • I think that's the question, go with the coin with better eye appeal and grade, or the earlier date that's not as nice of a coin but may be more "desired" due to the fact that it's an older coin. I tend to go with the earlier coins myself, but have reconsidered this strategy lately. I was buying 1920's Lincolns in gem state but for the first time bought an MS67RD coin, a 1939-D. Very nice, although not particularly rare. I haven't ventured into the Memorial Cents but there are some nice ones out there that can be had in high grades without breaking the bank. I'm not filling a set, just buying what catches my eye and I think is a fair price and good investment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file