Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the guy asked for no qualifiers and it would've been a 10?image

This is a case where "Buy the card, not the holder" would have to come into play.
    Travis
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Sweet. Hard to find a card with 99/1 centering. Looks like a buy-back to me.

lee
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Photoshop out the OC? What does the cert # come up as?
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    The cert number comes up as Psa 8 NQ. If you stand on your head , spin around , then open up only one eye, it really looks like a nice card.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    not even close to PSA 8 centering guidelines. obvious mistake.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe the guy asked for no qualifiers and it would've been a 10?image

This is a case where "Buy the card, not the holder" would have to come into play. >>

I don't think so Travis.

If one asked NQ on this card?

Based on the centering which is no better than 85/15 - a guess - the best one would get with that centering is a 5. And if it turns out to be 90/10? Ya get a 3.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What could've happened?

Perhaps this cert# was part of the sub and somehow this card got the OC?

According to the PSA Certification Database, certification number 40356590 (Winfield cert# 40356595) is defined as the following:

ITEM INFORMATION
    Year: 1975
    Brand: TOPPS
    Player: JOHNNY BENCH
    Variety: N/A
    Grade: 9OC

It's possible that the guy got back a perfectly centered Bench with a 9OC?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    It's a mistake. I had a 1985 McGwire PSA 9 that looked like this, and I've seen a 1972 Clemente IA and a 1978 Carew that were obviously missing the qualifier. It's far more likely that it's a mechanical error than it is an example of negilgence in the grading room.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    Stone , I bet that is what happened and he sent back the Bench to be fixed and is trying to take advantage of this one.

if boggles my mind because all it does is make you look like an a$$ . he is probably going to get 30% of a psa 8 for the card yet he makes himself look like a dirtball and creates a lot of bad faith. I don't get it, I have seen this happen a few times and the seller usually comes up with some lame excuse when I contact them.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    good catch bob!

1- seller is victim of fraud from somebody else
    2- seller is fraudster
    3- psa made a _______ (can't say it b/c want to keep this account active)

which is it? i pick 3

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    That's an obvious mislabel. He's probably doing what many folks would do though. Sell it off as-is to some registry-gpa hound and resubmit the one that ended up with the OC qualifier knowing full well it shouldn't have. He gets less than 8 money for this one, but probably still better than 7 money and he'll resubmit the other and get full value for that one. What a deal!

Buy the card not the holder I suppose. Sharp looking card aside from the centering though.

• Options
    That's a beautiful card!

Kudos to PSA for a job well done!
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    That card would look great outside the holder - against a white background.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    DBH said it looks ok. PSA doesn't make mistakes!
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Before we jump to conclusions about how it might be a "mistake from PSA," and say how "absurd" their grading is, or how the certs might have gotten mixed up on the submission, we should keep in mind it's usually impossible to tell the truth grade of a card with just a picture and that scans can be VERY deceiving. The fact is, until someone sees the card in person and holds it in their hands, we don't know for sure how that card is centered. Until then, why is it so hard to just trust the TRAINED and CERTIFIED grading professionals at PSA with their expert opinion? image

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    DaBigHurt - now that's a new angle to the rhetoric..............congrats on keeping it fresh!
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    It looks like I've gone back in a time machine to the mid to late 90's and that card is a 92. Everyone should know what I mean.image
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    I never tire of DaBigHurt.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough