Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I'M A MORON! I'M STUPID! I'M IGNORANT! I'M AN IDIOT!

I just bought a box of 2006 Bowman Originals for $400! That box was the biggest bunch of crap I've ever seen. You get two autos per pack. You get six packs for a total of 12 autos. I look at the checklist and it is pretty impressive. Well, take a look at the junk I got!

Troy Patten, Conor Jackson, Sean West, Nick Swisher, Joel Guzman, Matt Maloney, Lastings Milledge, Brandon Phillips, Merkin Valdez, Jason Kubel, Wily Mo Pena, and Mike freakin' Lamb!!!

There is nothing in that whole box that will bring over $10.

I've never done anything like that before. Just bought it on a hunch. Never again! Lesson learned the hard way.

Can anyone else think of any adjectives to describe me besides the ones in my title?

P.S. I did however, buy a 2007 Topps Jumbo Box and got 2 Jeter's (one regular and one red). I just put them on Ebay to try to recoupe some of my money that I just flushed down the toilet. And of course, those Jeter cards have already seen their best days. Looks like I am one day too late. Yesterday, they were going for $200 - $300. Now, around $100 for the regular. I put mine on Ebay as one lot and featured it. I bet I don't get $100 out of both of them.

YES, I'M IN A SOUR MOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! image

Shane

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>YES, I'M IN A SOUR MOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

Cheer up Shane.

At least ya got your health?

Mike
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Cheer up Shane.

image >>

Physical health - yes. (Which I am thankful for)

Mental health - I'm not so sure!

Shane

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    We've all been there. I recently ripped an 84 Topps FB box and got no Elway or Marino, and no cards came back as 10s. That's about the same result as yours. It sucks, but no need to dwell on it.

Looking at the results on ebay, it seems nearly impossible for you to get your money's worth out of the box. Did a store owner talk you into buying it or something? Boxes have been selling in the $200 range on ebay.

Lee
  • Options
    You just wait and see - that Lastings Milledge card is going to be HOT! image

Expensive lesson for sure... Hope brighter days are ahead for you.
    << image >>
  • Options

<< <i>We've all been there. I recently ripped an 84 Topps FB box and got no Elway or Marino, and no cards came back as 10s. That's about the same result as yours. It sucks, but no need to dwell on it.

Looking at the results on ebay, it seems nearly impossible for you to get your money's worth out of the box. Did a store owner talk you into buying it or something? Boxes have been selling in the $200 range on ebay.

Lee >>

What - $200 on Ebay??????? Now, I'm going to crawl into a hole and stay there. No, he didn't talk me into it. I just did it.

Shane

• Options
    Now, I'm really sick. DACARDWORLD has them for $217. image

Shane

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Who was on the checklist that would have been the big pulls?

I wonder if companies load packs with lesser autos and save the bigger autos to spread thin? Seems like a bad strategy, as word of mouth travels fast.
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    wow - I can't even tell what sport you're talking about from the players names.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Sorry. I shouldn't have said that.

Think about it this way- in the grand scheme of things, what's a few hundred dollars? Not really a life-altering amount of money.

Lee
  • Options
    You can get some really nice ones - Pujols, Alex Gordon, Alex Rodriguez, Bonds, Chien Ming Wang, David Wright, Vlad Guerrero. I thought, "12 autos, surely I will get a good one because the checklist isn't that long.

Shane

• Options
    Shane

On the serious note - I hear ya.

I can't even count all the crap like that over the last 25 years!

Does anyone remember last year when I bought 4 83T vending boxes from BBCEx - the first 2 boxes had EVERY card OC!!!!

The next two I got exchanged and they were better but...

I still have a box of 91T Stadium Club - paid 135$ - now? 10?

A box of 89F Bkb - can't remember but way, way more than it goes today.

I still have boxes of 92F Ultra from Sam's at 45$ per - now? 10?

92T Stadium Club - 58$ per - now? 10?

I've never bought high end stuff like 400$ - I'm sorry for your auto pulls.

I've got the kiss of death with Heritage - if it weren't for the immense generosity of Highend - I would probably NEVER have a HOF auto!

Good luck on your next pickup.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

You forgot Jackass ...

When I buy moden stuff, which is fairly often,
    I do so because I like the cards and enjoy ripping and putting sets together.

If I happen to pull something that I can recoup some dough with off of eBay,
    then that's just an added bonus. Buying new cards with the expectation of making money really isn't logical ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options

<< <i>You forgot Jackass ...

When I buy moden stuff, which is fairly often,
    I do so because I like the cards and enjoy ripping and putting sets together.

If I happen to pull something that I can recoup some dough with off of eBay,
    then that's just an added bonus. Buying new cards with the expectation of making money really isn't logical ... >>

Amen to that, Bro!

Shane

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Can anyone else think of any adjectives to describe me besides the ones in my title?

Tu es muy tonto! image

Just kidding. We have all made mistakes in card purchases. Don't beat yourself up. Just do more home work next time! Good luck.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Hi everybody, my name is Julen and I am a fool w/ money to spend on cardboard. I paid $2900 for a case of 1980 topps rack packs on Leland's auction 2 years ago...

Spent another $1100 on psa grades for ~250 cards, of which yount psa 10 was only memorable card. EVERY Henderson was bunk, not a SINGLE nolan ryan and i only spent ~$4000 to fund this POS.

Yikes, i just glurped in my mouth while typing and reminiscing!

julen

RIP GURU
  • Options
    POGS anyone?

Mike
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>and Mike freakin' Lamb!!! >>

Hey now, he's due for a breakout season any day now image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

<< <i>POGS anyone?

image >>

I was in middle school when that stuff peaked. I never understood it and I suppose I'm glad for that now.
    Travis
  • Options
    It's like gambling we pay for the chance.imageimage
    hi to all

Collecting Jordan graded cards,
    Jordan #d cards,

Wanted: Bill Quackenbush cards
  • Options
    I think you might have had better luck with $400 in scratch tickets or at a slot machine. ugh. the modern card market is such crap.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>and Mike freakin' Lamb!!! >>

Hey now, he's due for a breakout season any day now image >>

Just used it for emphasis. I thought that might get a raise out of ya!

By the way, I went to the thesaurus. Not only am I a moron, stupid, ignorant, and an idiot, but I am also brainless, dazed, deficient, dense, dim, dodo, doltish, dopy, dotterel, dull, dumb, foolish, futile, gullible, half-baked, half-witted, idiotic, ill-advised, imbecilic, insane, indiscreet, insensate, irrelevant, irresponsible, laughable, loser, ludicrous, meaningless, mindless, naive, nonsensical, obtuse, pointless, puerile, rash, senseless, short-sighted, simple, simple-minded, slow, sluggish, stolid, stupefied, thick, thickheaded, trivial, unintelligent, unthinking, and witless.

I think that pretty much covers it.

Shane

• Options
    Hide that Willie Mo Pena away.

When he learns how to control his swing he'll be scary!

Dare I say David Ortiz scary!

JMO, Bob C.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'M A MORON! I'M STUPID! I'M IGNORANT! I'M AN IDIOT! >>

You may be moron but at least your a moron with a nice new riding mower image

Maybe you can go cut the local college football field for free ala Forrest Gump image
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just bought a box of 2006 Bowman Originals for $400! That box was the biggest bunch of crap I've ever seen. You get two autos per pack. You get six packs for a total of 12 autos. I look at the checklist and it is pretty impressive. Well, take a look at the junk I got!

Troy Patten, Conor Jackson, Sean West, Nick Swisher, Joel Guzman, Matt Maloney, Lastings Milledge, Brandon Phillips, Merkin Valdez, Jason Kubel, Wily Mo Pena, and Mike freakin' Lamb!!!

There is nothing in that whole box that will bring over $10.

I've never done anything like that before. Just bought it on a hunch. Never again! Lesson learned the hard way.

P.S. I did however, buy a 2007 Topps Jumbo Box and got 2 Jeter's (one regular and one red). I just put them on Ebay to try to recoupe some of my money that I just flushed down the toilet. And of course, those Jeter cards have already seen their best days. Looks like I am one day too late. Yesterday, they were going for $200 - $300. Now, around $100 for the regular. I put mine on Ebay as one lot and featured it. I bet I don't get $100 out of both of them.

YES, I'M IN A SOUR MOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! image >>

400 bucks ???? Are you kidding me??? For starters, Add 2 zeros to that my freind and keep going, and you'll get an idea of what I flushed. You are way ahead, count your blessings!!!! chaz
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those guys mentioned are like Hall of Famers to the garbage I usually get - I don't spend that much though. Topps usually sucks me in each year for about $50 - $100. My contribution for killing a few trees.
  • Options
    hey...I'm near Boston....you've got a home for the Wily Mo IF you decide to sell...
  • Options
    Shane, too bad.....but you still have the ONLY GAME-USED SIGNED PUJOLS BATTING GLOVES....so thats a plus!
  • Options

<< <i>Shane, too bad.....but you still have the ONLY GAME-USED SIGNED PUJOLS BATTING GLOVES....so thats a plus! >>

You've got that right! image

Shane

• Options

<< <i>I think you might have had better luck with $400 in scratch tickets or at a slot machine. ugh. the modern card market is such crap. >>

Boba

That's the whole issue with the early 90s - for a short while the hobby turned into a giant "futures" machine.

People were buying cases upon cases of 90 Donruss!!!

The hobby is still feeling a little of that era but it's getting better.

There's nothing wrong with viewing monetary value in one's collection - as long as it is secondary to the joy of learing and collecting IMO.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    frankhardy, I feel your pain - the same story you just described happens to me on almost a weekly basis, yet I never learn. Sometimes, I do hit that great pull (probably why I keep doing it), but most often its a crapshoot. Most recently, I bought two boxes of Triple Threads Football (4 packs total) for almost $400, and each pack is supposed to have one "hit". The total of my 4 "hits" brought me $70 on Ebay.
  • Options
    Shane

One thing from one of the older collectors...

There's always been the "feel" of a gamble when buying packs.

I walk into the candy store - plunk down my allowance of 25 cents.

Buy 5 packs...

Nobody on 78th avenue in Kew Garden Hills, Queens is gonna get excited about pulling a Gene Green!!!

If ya know what I mean.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>You can get some really nice ones - Pujols, Alex Gordon, Alex Rodriguez, Bonds, Chien Ming Wang, David Wright, Vlad Guerrero. I thought, "12 autos, surely I will get a good one because the checklist isn't that long. >>

How much are the "key cards" selling for on eBay? I can't imagine much more than $400?
  • Options
    Wang sold for $631. Gordon sold for $404. Ryan Howard sold for $356. Pujols sold for $280.

Shane

• Options
    So buy the next Pujols with your Jeter '07 Topps money and chalk the box up to bad luck! things tend to 'even out' in the end, so I'll bet your next box (or PSA sub or...) will be a good surprise.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Think positive. It's very possible Mike Lamb may discover Human Growth Hormone.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    Geez, you could get both the 1976 and 1977 Topps sets (or just the 1974) for that much! I don't blame you for being in a sour mood at all. All the more reason I don't go beyond 1995. But surely you got something good at least?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i>

Cheer up Shane.

image >>

But stone, he would've had his health anyway. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i>Geez, you could get both the 1976 and 1977 Topps sets (or just the 1974) for that much! I don't blame you for being in a sour mood at all. All the more reason I don't go beyond 1995. But surely you got something good at least? >>

Estil, if you ever get into 1993 Refractors, please, look me up!!

• Options
    I commiserate with you. I once spent $25 dollars on a pack of 4 cards. The pack guaranteed an auto. I did it for the gambling sensation that Charles Barkley fully describes in his most recent interview with Jimmy Kimmel. I opened it up and i got a kent hrbek auto. It's like masturbating to a Sears catalog....something besides your brain tells you at the moment it's a good idea..but after that *sensation* goes away after the *climax*, you sit there with a wet kleen...errr, ripped foil....and wonder what the hell were you thinking.

At that point, i vowed never to buy an expensive modern pack or box simply for the chase of profit.

or to subscribe to any sears catalogs...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Geez, you could get both the 1976 and 1977 Topps sets (or just the 1974) for that much! I don't blame you for being in a sour mood at all. All the more reason I don't go beyond 1995. But surely you got something good at least? >>

Estil, if you ever get into 1993 Refractors, please, look me up!!

image >>

I'm gonna have to make a LOT more than $7.05 an hour to even THINK about doing 1993 refractors. And I want all the 1960s and 1970s Topps sets first. image
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    why are they bothering kent hrbek? better yet, why are they bothering US with kent hrbek???? i'd say his time is spent nowadays deep-frying cod steaks, pitching lawn jarts and pumping his fists to Loverboy records......put a pen in his hand???? damn this hobby is getting random and desperate!!!