Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

An extremely mixed bag result on my free submissions...........

1 60089053 1971 TOPPS 513 NOLAN RYAN N/A Not Holdered, Re-Colored
2 60089054 1958 TOPPS 90 SONNY JURGENSEN N/A 8
3 60089055 1961 TOPPS 476 JACKIE JENSEN MVP 7
4 60089056 1961 TOPPS 483 DON NEWCOMBE MVP 7
5 60089057 1968 TOPPS 200 ORLANDO CEPEDA N/A 9
6 60089058 1961 TOPPS 150 DON MAYNARD N/A 8

Date Received: 02/19/2007
Date of Grades Posted: 02/28/2007
Date Shipped: No Date Specified

The Ryan was a card shop purchase along with 5 or 6 other 71's. Hard to believe it's been recolored when the lower right corner had chipping on it; why would someone recolor the rest of the card but not the part with the most chipping?

The '61 Topps grades (Newcombe and Jensen) are nothing more than a massive screw-job. Period. These cards will get into 8 holders eventually.

Maynard was as expected. Super nice 8.

Jurgensen RC was a nice result; the card bordered on 7 and 8, so it's nice to get that one. I thought the Cepeda was an 8 with a shot at a 9, so good to see that one work out too. I'm still unhappy about those '61 grades though.

Stay classy,

Ron
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Ron

Sorry about the 61s - good luck if ya resub.

On the 71T Ryan - did ya angle the card in the light? Or check the edges? I have a 87D card that someone used magic marker - it bled into the edge and when angling - ya can see the difference in ink reflection. Of course if I had a black light...

How about posting the 7s when ya get them?

Superb Cepeda BTW!

I just sent my last minute annual sub - in fact, I didn't respond to my club request and my SMR on-line is gone - time to fork up!

Thanx for sharing
    mike

Mike
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Mike - thanks and although I've never posted scans here before I probably will post the 7's and let everyone judge for themselves. I'll take a look at the edges on the Ryan when it returns......

The Cepeda is great, I agree. I've been slowly upgrading this set over time and have actually wound up with a handful of 9's by accident. Marichal, Clemente AS, and the #1 League Leaders card are among the others.

Rom
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about the Ryan but otherwise, nice grades image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet Cepeda Ron!!! I know this is a stupid question but can you please tell me what "recolored" means? I know the black borders on the 71s are a bear so does this mean people try to color the chips with a marker or something? If thats the case why wouldnt it get graded with a MK qualifier? Or is that considered altering the card? I know its a rookie question, but I have not had a card come back that way, seen it here plenty of times though.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sweet Cepeda Ron!!! I know this is a stupid question but can you please tell me what "recolored" means? I know the black borders on the 71s are a bear so does this mean people try to color the chips with a marker or something? If thats the case why wouldnt it get graded with a MK qualifier? Or is that considered altering the card? I know its a rookie question, but I have not had a card come back that way, seen it here plenty of times though. >>

Bob

From the grade section of PSA:

N-3 Evidence of Recoloration - Where a card’s color has been artificially improved - no holder.

MK (Marks):
    Cards with writing, ink marks, pencil marks, etc. will be designated "MK."

Obviously PSA distinguishes "incidental" writing or marking with no intent to enhance the value of the card as opposed to "marking" intended to enhance the value of the card.

You got it right dude.
    Mike
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for confirming that Mike. Learn something new everyday on here. image