Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Finally figured out how to post pictures . . . check out my ROSE basic set!

I still need that 1976 Topps card . . . there is a PSA-9 that went on ebay today that I will go after hard![ I am proud of this set as there all the cards are recent graded examples even though some start with "0". No holograms on the back of any of these jewels. . .L=Rose Basic Set]http://www.psacard.com/set_registry/display_cards.chtml?rsetid=65192&alltime=no&rank=8&tied=0&requesttimeout=9999[/L]

Comments

• Options
    Very nice set. Congrats!
    kev

keeping my ears open for oddball cards of Rose from the 60's and 70's.
  • Options
    excellent (RC)!
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    very nice cards. however i still am amazed at how pete rose fans will ignore his downfall. your introduction to your registry mentions that he played hard and he didn't take steroids. then you mention so he gambled and served his time. SO HE GAMBLED???. He just didn't buy a lottery ticket. He broke the cardinal rule of sports.

Your comment of looking over this issue is like saying a guy who is sleeping with his neighbors wife for many years and says "SO I LOOKED AT ANOTHER WOMAN".

How many years did it take him to admit that he bet on baseball and only because he was trying to make a few bucks in a book. When you say he served his time, he served his time for tax evasion to the U.S. government. That has zero to do with betting on baseball.

Every clubhouse has the rule clearly posted about gambling while you are an employee of the team. It is clearly prohibited. There is no gray area in this matter.

Just because the game is tainted with steroid users today does not lessen Rose's actions one bit. He is getting what he deserved. I don't care if he never bet against the Reds. You could trot out your closer in a situation which is wrong in the long run for your team just to win that night.

Rose played the game hard, like you want your kids to play it. In the end he was a great player with a bad hair cut from the wrong side of the tracks who had a demon that he couldn't control and it will cost him his shot at the Hall-of-Fame.
  • Options
    OK . . . I'm still not going to give you my registry set, and I always liked his hair cut in his playing days.
  • Options
    too early for rose thrashing, theczar. rose is a HOFer in my mind and probably a lot of others on this forum. I wish I could have led the perfect life like you and a lot of other "holier-than-thou" rose bashers.

Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    Good luck on the 1976 Rose card. I see you already had to out bid Korthjc. All I can say is he has deep pockets and if he really wants something will over pay for it.
    I'm number 10 on the basic set and I don't think I'll be going much higher than 9 after seeing your grades and your pics. Very nice set.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Nice set. Thanks for posting the link!
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    crave,
    your reply was quite amusing. send some money to the ACLU. you probably were one of his supporters with egg on his face for 10+ years defending him against the dowd report. then his book made those backers look foolish.

we are all sinners but not all of us are whining about not getting into the HOF. most of us don't set up tables down the road from the main ceremony in cooperstown each july for autographs. in addition not all of us have major league talent and blew our chance for immortality by screwing up and not taking responsibility.

i am guessing that you are part of the new culture that has taken over our society which believes no one is responsible for their actions, if you screw up you are a victim of something that happened in your past (or you ancestors past). rose screwed up and failed to take responsibility. his own team mates have distanced themselves from him. if were a man he would have stepped up and said in 1989 what he wrote in his book years later.

he should never skate on this one and thankfully he is behind shoeless joe in the HOF line and that line isn't moving.

let me ask you this. how would you like it if everyone playing or managing major league baseball was betting on games?

i will await for you answer.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    This is not a criticism, but something with your scanner made all the Rose cards look like Chrome or Chrome Refractor variations. Kinda cool actually.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<<< am guessing that you are part of the new culture that has taken over our society which believes no one is responsible for their actions, if you screw up you are a victim of something that happened in your past (or you ancestors past). rose screwed up and failed to take responsibility. >>>

to the contrary, theczar, I am all for taking responsibilty for one's actions. Obviously you woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Jumping all over this guy for being a Pete Rose fan is ridiculous. You seem to feel like you have some kind of moral mandate to demonize this icon of baseball. I am not willing to tolerate injustice, inequity or inequality and this is how I see it with respect to how one of the greatest baseball players in history has been treated. I guess you have the inside scoop on Rose betting on baseball games? Do us all a favor and disregard those jury duty notices so people can have a fair trial. Just to refresh your memory....

"Recently, I have reread the May 9, 1989 investigative findings of John Dowd in "the matter of Peter Edward Rose," a report requested by the respected baseball commissioner, Bart Giamatti. Dowd held a high career position in my administration, and his credentials are impeccable. I find the testimony (mostly from convicted felons) about Pete Rose's betting on sports events to be convincing and disheartening, but evidence about specifically betting on baseball is less than compelling.

There is substantial indication that Commissioner Giamatti also had some reasonable doubts. When the commissioner announced their mutual understanding that Rose would be banished from the game, there was no finding that he had bet on baseball. However, in answer to a reporter's question, Giamatti expressed his opinion that Rose had committed this crucial act. Although admitting the other charges, Rose has vigorously denied this allegation."

And let me add another interesting tidbit.....

"Cobb was walking down the street when a man supposedly jumped him with a knife. Cobb, who pulled out a gun, couldn't make it fire, so the man slit him up the back with his knife. The man then fled into a dead-end alley where Cobb beat him to death with the gun (Stump 10,11). "I used that gun sight to rip and slash and tear him for about ten minutes until he had no face left. Left him there, not breathing, in his own blood," Cobb once said (Stump 11). Cobb was also accused of fixing a Detroit-Cleveland game back on September 25, 1919. Cobb, Tris Speaker, Hubert "Dutch" Leonard and Joe Wood wagered $5,500 on the game because they knew the outcome. The man who gave the money to a bookie implicated the four. Later, Leonard came out about the fixing as payback for Cobb cutting him from Detroit and for Speaker not claiming him off waivers. Cobb and Speaker were suspended which was eventually lifted with their acquittal (Stump 370-372). As a person can plainly see, Tyrus Raymond Cobb was much worse than Pete Rose but ironically was the very first man to enter the Hall of Fame."

Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Nice set. I am a Rose fan, and have a 100% basic set.

no need to respond to czars comments - which came out of nowhere and had nothing to do with the purpose of this thread.

Congrats on almost completing the set!
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    great looking set-great job!!!
    i really enjoyed going through the pictures
    thanks
    fred
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is not a criticism, but something with your scanner made all the Rose cards look like Chrome or Chrome Refractor variations. Kinda cool actually. >>

That happens to me when I scan at 1200+ dpi and then have to shrink the pics to get them to meet size requirements.