Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Fun images from some '93 Stadium Club bbc's

About a month ago I bought a large hoard of late 1980s to mid 1990s stuff. It was from a co-worker's sons' collections which he just wanted to get rid of. I told him he wouldn't get much from any dealers and that I'd give him $60 for it all, which I figured was just the entertainment expense I'd get out of going through it. In addition to the main issues, there were quite a few oddball items that I'm having fun with, such as a large number of SI for Kids cards. Here are some shots of some '93 Stadium Club bbc's which I've never had the chance to enjoy before:

Will the Thrill stealing a base??!

Tony G. putting some Gs on his bat!

Just a fun action shot:

What an athlete Bo was!

Ouch! That just don't look natural!

I'll post more pics of fun stuff I find as I go through it over the next few months...

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Mike

The photos are incredible!

The quality of the pics back around 1992 for TSC, Fleer Ultra and UD were tremendous!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I always thought that Gwynn was humorously unfortunate. kinda looks like he swung too late right thru the pitch (referring to the baseball as part of the card design).......
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Will Clark must like to steal:

• Options
    Frowirth looks like his arm is broke. I bet he is very sore after a game

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    will clark rocks!

he and rafael palmeiro were an insanely powerful college combo. having graduate from Miss State Univ & sadly had to endure TOO many years of decadence in ALL their sports-offerings, i take pride in remembering their college years!

sniff sniff

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    It is amazing how the photography has changed over the last 10 years or so.

I was busting a box of 93 SP Football and there are some fantastic action shots in there. Even my 88T fb had a lot of nice action shots, though most of them were the "team" cards, the regular player cards are almost all portrait or at least non-action shots. I guess it was a sign of things to come. I always like the great action cards. The 71 T Munson, 76 T Johnny Bench (All the dust standing floating around him as he stands there, staring down an opponent, almost daring him to try and score). The 86 T Kevin Mitchell another action shot with a cloud of dust...

What is that...? Is that the theme song from Cats playing in my head.... "Memories...."

Ugh, better turn on itunes or that'll be stuck in my head all day. image

• Options

<< <i>Hi Mike

The quality of the pics back around 1992 for TSC, Fleer Ultra and UD were tremendous!

thanx for sharing
    mike >>

Hi, Mike! I told my coworker today that I've already gotten the $60 entertainment expense out of the collection! (It doesn't take long nowadays, does it?! ha!)

According to frankhardy's thread, you have some high quality stuff waiting to rip! Go ahead and do it!! image
  • Options

<< <i>I always thought that Gwynn was humorously unfortunate. kinda looks like he swung too late right thru the pitch (referring to the baseball as part of the card design)....... >>

Roaring, Ha! I thought I would be the only one to notice that design blending into the action -- fun stuff!
  • Options

<< <i>...I always like the great action cards. The 71 T Munson, 76 T Johnny Bench (All the dust standing floating around him as he stands there, staring down an opponent, almost daring him to try and score). The 86 T Kevin Mitchell another action shot with a cloud of dust... >>

I'm with you there, envoy. I grew to like the '71T Munson from posts on this forum and was able to purchase a PSA 5 version from a member here. I can't believe how much more I like it in person! Here's the card:

• Options

<< <i>Will Clark must like to steal:

image >>

Neat card! What year was that issued?? I sure don't recognize the design...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Will Clark must like to steal:

image >>

Neat card! What year was that issued?? I sure don't recognize the design... >>

Mike

Isn't that from like 95?

I just moved stuff - and when I moved to SA, I repacked that stuff back into 800 ct. boxes.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    That's 1997 Topps. Cards like these are what I have started to focus on collecting. I just about have everything sorted out and organized and hope to have everything scanned in this year and available for viewing on my geocities page. I have sorted out batters swinging, pitchers pitching, pitchers with bats, guys bunting, sliding into second and third, sliding into home, wierd stuff (guys blowing bubbles, on cordless phones,and other silliness), bad fashion and hair styles, and some other stuff. Plus a ton of horizontal cards, really cool stuff. The base Upper Deck and Donruss sets still have some good photography, but overall things have gone downhill pretty fast in the past five years.

• Options
    TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    That's a '97 Topps Will the Thrill!
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pics Mike.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>...I always like the great action cards. The 71 T Munson, 76 T Johnny Bench (All the dust standing floating around him as he stands there, staring down an opponent, almost daring him to try and score). The 86 T Kevin Mitchell another action shot with a cloud of dust... >>

I'm with you there, envoy. I grew to like the '71T Munson from posts on this forum and was able to purchase a PSA 5 version from a member here. I can't believe how much more I like it in person! Here's the card:

image >>

That's a pretty nice looking 5. My 5 wasn't anywhere near that nice. Is there a small surface wrinkle? Mine had no black on 2 of the corners and was centered much worse. I would definitely be happy with that card, it presents much better than a 5 IMHO.
  • Options

<< <i>That's a pretty nice looking 5. My 5 wasn't anywhere near that nice. Is there a small surface wrinkle? Mine had no black on 2 of the corners and was centered much worse. I would definitely be happy with that card, it presents much better than a 5 IMHO. >>

Yup, there's a 1/4" crease where I've placed the red arrows. You really have to look hard to find it. I love this card!

• Options

<< <i>Great pics Mike. >>

Thanks, Mike. BTW, what are you focusing on as of late?? Can you narrow it down to one or two things??!
  • Options

<< <i>That's a '97 Topps Will the Thrill! >>

That seems to be the popular consensus. Thanks! Unfortunately this hoard only runs from primarily 1989 through 1993...
  • Options

<< <i>...I...hope to have everything scanned in this year and available for viewing on my geocities page. >>

brumbach, you will be sharing a link to your site, right?! Hope so! Good luck with the project! image

My geocities site has been up since 1996 showing some genealogy info, but hasn't been updated in years...
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    Any unopened packs in this deal? I'm looking for all the different kinds of 1993 and 1994 Topps packs (other than the standard wax packs) and one pack each from all the Ultra years.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Yes that is 1997, which I did not collect until the last year or so, looking for graded stars. But for me that set has some of the most crips and clean action shots on any Topps set.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hi Mike

thanx for sharing
    mike >>

Hi, Mike! I told my coworker today that I've already gotten the $60 entertainment expense out of the collection! (It doesn't take long nowadays, does it?! ha!)

According to frankhardy's thread, you have some high quality stuff waiting to rip! Go ahead and do it!! image >>

Mike

Thankfully I do have some stuff that balances it - 76, 77, 79 BB wax, 79, 82, 84, 85 vending, 79 rack, 81 and 84 rack comes to mind.

And the answer is No - I've never been tempted to open it.

Some, now, not worth it, some when demand goes higher - and then I would guess it would be better to sell than open?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    BTW, the printing techniques adopted in the early 90s revolutionized the hobby.

The addition of full bleed cards (ink to edges), UV coating (I believe like a layer of clear coat to a car which gives the card that extra pop) and chrome technology was just too good to be true.

Baseball cards took on the beauty of more expensive post cards IMO.

I still like the more simple almost matte finished earlier cards but the photography just went thru the roof!

Also, there's nothing like the ole school litho look of the T3s and T206s.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>BTW, the printing techniques adopted in the early 90s revolutionized the hobby.

The addition of full bleed cards (ink to edges), UV coating (I believe like a layer of clear coat to a car which gives the card that extra pop) and chrome technology was just too good to be true.

Baseball cards took on the beauty of more expensive post cards IMO.

I still like the more simple almost matte finished earlier cards but the photography just went thru the roof!

Also, there's nothing like the ole school litho look of the T3s and T206s.
    mike >>

Good points, Mike. That's why I can't really knock someone's choice of vintage vs modern. There are "gems" available in both areas!

Man, it's great having your input on so many different subjects. Thank you, Doctor Mike!
  • Options

<< <i>Any unopened packs in this deal? I'm looking for all the different kinds of 1993 and 1994 Topps packs (other than the standard wax packs) and one pack each from all the Ultra years. >>

Sorry to report that there were no unopened packs, estil. A couple unopened factory sets (UpperDs), but no packs. I've got a couple in my personal collection, but not much for extras laying around. Wish I could've helped you out there!
  • Options

<< <i>Yes that is 1997, which I did not collect until the last year or so, looking for graded stars. But for me that set has some of the most crips and clean action shots on any Topps set. >>

All right, Topps! If I was going to try to fill in any of the gap post-1991 in my collection, it would probably be Topps sets...and the SPs -- I'm becoming attracted to them, too...

Thanks for filling in my knowledge gap -- which is plenty big, believe me!
  • Options
    JdurgJdurg Posts: 997
    Trust me, you can have a BLAST collecting modern Topps cards and all the varieties, even if it is just the base sets. I only collect the standard, regular issue Topps sets and the traded sets as well. I basically try and complete sets of things that I could technically get by buying a TON of packs. So parallels, inserts, etc. It's really neat seeing all the different versions of cards out there. All these threads about buying boxes and whatnot makes me wonder if I should also put together a collection of unopened packs from 1980 through today to complement my sets.

It is definitely fun knowing that you can put together a collection of sets for not a huge ton of money. I was ecstatic yesterday to pick up the Inaugural Parallels for the 1993 and 1998 Topps sets. I now wonder if I should open them up and put them in binders along with the regular and gold variations for those sets, or if I should just leave them sealed in their boxes. (I'll probably be leaving them sealed in the boxes and picking up another set later on if I want to put them in binders).

If you go through just 27 years worth of cards, there are literally hundreds of different sets you can pick up that all are intriguing and interesting. Plus, they don't have the "OH MY GOD THIS IS AN EXPENSIVE CARD" aura to them which can make it near impossible to ever display them or look at them without fear of ruining it.
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options

<< <i>...I only collect the standard, regular issue Topps sets and the traded sets as well. I basically try and complete sets of things that I could technically get by buying a TON of packs... >>

I've always been a set collector ('62-'68 and '81-'91 baseball) of the major brands. I just ran out of space storing it all -- especially when the number of set became so large. Narrowing your focus would definitley help.

Thanks for the wise words, jdurg!