Home PSA Set Registry Forum

WOW! 2 guys wanted this bad

A sellers dream is having 2 buyers that REALLY REALLY want the same thing.

PSA 10 1976 Jack Lambert

Thought maybe 2k, but all I can say is WOW
Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

Comments

• theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    i had been watching that card. it had been at $1200 for awhile and i thought that was high. the smr is 425 for a so 10x for a 10 isn't outrageous--just expensive.
  • It makes me want to send in my sharp sample.....Real quick.
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    If I had his money, I'd burn mine.

Guy is amazing...the stuff he manages to find not to mention the money he spends. His collection is amazing. And currently, the best money can buy. Everytime I look, he's added another .1 between himself and MOSH.
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    "A sellers dream is having 2 buyers that REALLY REALLY want the same thing."

Amen! $4500 on a '70's football card is a sellers dream!
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm sure DSL needed that sale to stay in business. Lucky SOB's, lol. Good for them though, I am just jealous.
  • bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Anybody know what the population is for this card?
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    That's about $1k more than a Payton would bring. Ridiculous.

Lee
  • and it has a population of 3 10's. Wow doesn't describe that price...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    I'm amazed they'll take personal checks on an item like that. Even if they wait until the check 'clears,' I've known sellers who had checks bounce 30 days after they were cashed. Obviously, it's not an issue with this buyer, but if someone else had won the card...
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    Look at the right edge. It is overgraded. Buy the card and not the holder. This is where grading and population reports are just ridiculous. PSA will get alot of Lambert submissions in the coming months. 10's are very overrated.
  • gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    No one can ever give me crap for paying $4850 for the 1969 brock in 9 now!! Thats amazing. Guess I'll break out the 1976 Football.

• << <i>Guess I'll break out the 1976 Football. >>

I'm working on a 1972 Football set, I think you should break out some more of those!
  • gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Joe,
    If I had 72's I would!! Just 75 to 79
  • Amazing but not totally unexpected. Thats about triple the last sale, those HOF rookie cards are on fire.
    Jeremy
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The seller is freakin' PUMPED
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Another big winner is the second highest bidder. He should be glad he didn't pay his top bid for that item. Aesthetically, this isn't a great looking card - but that's only my opinion. The cut on the right side hurts the look of the card significantly and I'm not sure if those black marks on the edges are print marks or just chipping. There are 67 - 9's and two other 10's. I'm sure out of that group he can find one that looks better at a fraction of the cost.

<< <i>Amazing but not totally unexpected. Thats about triple the last sale, those HOF rookie cards are on fire. >>

No kidding! The prices realized for some of these, particularly with the entrance of fight4olddc (the current #1 finest HOF set) are unreal. I have lost out on cards that I bid well over SMR for but would have gotten 6 months ago for 70-80% of SMR. There are some, particularly the more modern issue and the higher pop cards that are still reasonable though.

This set is the most popular in the football registry. The prices are all going up, which is fine for me in one way since I have most of the cards I need. However, the ones I still need, I still need for a reason...they were expensive before and now they are even more so. I may have to bow out of some of my team sets just so I can focus funds on the HOF set before it gets too spendy.
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    This could be one of those cards we are laughing about years from now. I remember some of those first low pop 52 topps sold for crazy prices around 2000-2001 and never duplicated since then. This is an example of someone that has to build a set NOW and won't wait until the right card and price hit at the same time. This is a circumstance where modern collectors would be able to poke fun at the "vintage" collector. Even with how crappy Topps printing processes and cutting was in the day there is a ton of this material sitting around as it is just now worth opening. It was just 5 years ago 70's football was deemed unworthy of grading by most.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Guy is amazing...the stuff he manages to find not to mention the money he spends. His collection is amazing. And currently, the best money can buy. Everytime I look, he's added another .1 between himself and MOSH. >>

He definitely will throw money into high grade football rookies. He bought a PSA 9 Piccolo rookie from me a couple months ago.
    ...for about $1100 if I remember correctly?

He definitely has the money to throw around.

Wish I had that ability...
  • The real genius here is PSA. They create the set registry so people like these two guys can go nuts and over-pay for a card that only has a population of three. Then the winner can say he has the best set. Problem with all of this is now that this stupid price has been established wait until you see how many 1976 Lamberts come out of the woodwork. I am going to check mine out right now.
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    crazy money!

Loves me some shiny!
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    at those prices PSA7's and 8's look great to me. lets be real, even as PSA states these 7's and 8's are just below the 9-10 roll of the dice, until upclose under magnificaition inspection.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • rlankhaarrlankhaar Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Sure its crazy money...but is it really that surprising or amazing? When you're already spending a quarter of a million on a set, whats an extra 3K to you? I don't think you put a set together like this by focusing on getting a good deal on something. And when you have this kind of money, what are you going to do with it, buy another car to go with the 10 you already have?
    Always looking for 1996 Select Certified Football.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Everytime you win a card, you just overpaid for it,
    otherwise, if it were really worth that much, someone else would have bid as much as you.

That said, I've got a lot of cards that I overpaid for a couple of years ago that are worth much more today.

If dozens of people with semi-unlimited funds all wanted the same card,
    how the hell high would some of these end up going for? Boggles the mind ..

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Here is another card that 2 guys wanted real bad....

1951 Bowman PSA 8 Pesky
  • crazy $$ for a Pesky. Wow.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Here is another card that 2 guys wanted real bad....

1951 Bowman PSA 8 Pesky >>

Having a shill or two working the bids doesn't hurt either.
  • <<<Having a shill or two working the bids doesn't hurt either. >>>

no question in my mind that this practice is rampant on ebay and is by far, the biggest problem with an electronic auction system. There is virtualy no way to detect it if you're a sophisticated seller.

The only way to protect yourself is to avoid the bidding frenzy with a snipe or bid you're 100% happy with and not one you've been duped into believing is a competitive bidding war. Even then, your bid will be, in many cases, the result of a "shill or two".

Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i><<<Having a shill or two working the bids doesn't hurt either. >>>

no question in my mind that this practice is rampant on ebay and is by far, the biggest problem with an electronic auction system. There is virtualy no way to detect it if you're a sophisticated seller.

The only way to protect yourself is to avoid the bidding frenzy with a snipe or bid you're 100% happy with and not one you've been duped into believing is a competitive bidding war. Even then, your bid will be, in many cases, the result of a "shill or two". >>

I completely agree, although I bet the problem is smaller on Ebay than it is in other collectible auction houses.

Also, I should say that I don't know if this auction was shilled or not, and it was irresponsible of me to insinuate that I did know. It just seemed like the second and third highest bidders had placed a disproportionate number of bids in the past 30 days with this seller.
  • WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭

<< <i>Anybody know what the population is for this card? >>

CARD NO NAME VARIETY 1-2; 3-4; 5; 6; 7; 7Q; 8; 8Q; 9; 9Q; 10 TOTAL
    220 JACK LAMBERT 2; 6; 12; 28; 110; 2; 241; 10; 67; 3; 3 485

Yes, you read that correctly, there are 3 other '10's'