Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Must read Liteside post

Counterfeit detection

A very interesting post that I believe we darksiders would benefit from.
Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
My Ebay

Comments

• Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    Nice collection of facts and would certainly help a newbie. Thanks for pointing it out.

Do any of you guys knowingly buy a counterfeit just to fill in that hole or a coin which you like but is way beyond your budget?
  • Options

<< <i>Do any of you guys knowingly buy a counterfeit just to fill in that hole or a coin which you like but is way beyond your budget? >>

Not for those purposes, but when I find a high grade counterfeit at a low enough price I add it to my black box for comparison purposes and to aid me in detection. As a collector of 19th-early 20th Century Japanese silver, there are tons of counterfeits from China trying to get in my pockets. image
    Roy

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's scary is that counterfeiters are getting much better. They are starting to use dies, instead of moulds. For example, I recently acquired a copy of a Carolus III 8 Reales, which was struck in sterling silver. At first glance it looked tooled, but when I examined the damage closer, I realized that the tooling was on the die itself. That lead me to believe that it might have been a soft-metal, or dental plaster die. What also gave it away is that there was no design overlap on the edge. The way the authentic bust 8 reales were edged, the only time when there wouldn't be a pair (or two, or 3) of overlaps is when the coin popped out of the edger and wasn't put back in, allowing for a break in edge design in 2 places.

Give it 10 more years and even the experts wouldn't be able to distinguish the fakes from the real coins, except with a metal composition analysis, or specific gravity.

Scary....
  • Options
    That was a good post - well put together, too.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do any of you guys knowingly buy a counterfeit just to fill in that hole or a coin which you like but is way beyond your budget? >>

The only one I have intentionally purchased was for a minor collection of Cars on coins and I picked up a counterfeit China car to add to it. The collection is not significant enough to waste big bucks on.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link, I would have missed it otherwise.

• Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Interesting post. -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions