Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Any chance at an 8 for this Mays?

Guys,

I'm thinking of sending this <back> to PSA .... any chance it gets an 8? My main concern is the t/b centering. Corners look 8-worthy in my book.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Tom

- Building these sets:
------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+

Comments

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful card! One of my very favorite Mays cards. (along with the 64 Standup and the 70 Kellogg's, among others)
  • Options
    centering should not be an issue for an 8. looks like you ave a shot here.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has a chance at an 8 - more likely a 7 in my opinion.

You stated the corners look "8-worthy" so I'll presume there's no ding in the bottom left corner which from the scan looks like there could be, which would knock it down to a 6.

In any event a very nice card.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has a chance at an 8 - more likely a 7 in my opinion.

You stated the corners look "8-worthy" so I'll presume there's no ding in the bottom left corner which from the scan looks like there could be, which would knock it down to a 6.

In any event a very nice card. >>

You say "sending it back" so it's obviously a 7 already - I'd keep it there.
  • Options
    AJW-

Thanks! I simply LOVE the 60 Topps set, especially the all star and World Series cards.

Stevek-

Yes, it currently resides in a PSA 7 slab.

I bought it in an SGC 84 (7 NM) slab, cracked it an sent to PSA and got a 7 there.

The corner on the lower left isn't razor sharp, but there's no ding either (from my perspective).

Hmmm... keep it as a 7 or go for the 8.

Here's a scan of the lower left corner.

-Tom
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    i think that lower corner will keep it from an 8.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>i think that lower corner will keep it from an 8. >>

Really? I've got quite a few 8's from this set --- there are definitely some with corners a lot worse than this one... it looks perfectly fine with the naked eye.... I can see in the scan it looks a bit more "dinged" than I initially thought.

...guess it might be time for me to invest in a 10x loupe.

-t
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom

I stink at this - but on a good day? I think it slides into 2nd...safe! PSA 8.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    The centering at the "worst" point is 75/25, which is outside the scope for an 8.

I've submitted cards with corners like that, and they've gotten 8s, so NP there.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I would say that if centering were the only problem it would be an 8. I would also say that if the corners were the only problem it would be an 8. With both of them together, I think it's a 7. It also has a little of the surface schmootz that's common on the 60s which PSA doesn't like. I think it's a pretty solid 7 with little chance of a bump (maybe 10%).

Lee
  • Options
    Thanks guys...

Lee --- you might be right given there are two small issues (centering and less than razor corners).

If "10% chance" is accurate, it's probably not worth the $13 to re-sub.

hmmmmmmmmm

-t
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    This will help you even further: I am often wrong about stuff. Good luck whatever you decide. Very nice card regardless of the slab.

Lee
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    top left corner makes it a 7 in my book.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    7. The centering will get you just about every time. Don't resubmit. Nice card though.