Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

So, is it good for the hobby?

With todays run up on the Jeter/Bush/Mantle card I was wondering when the dust settles was it good for the hobby?

They have a saying that any advertising is good advertising. And what happened today is beyond anything that I have ever seen.

In a related story the coin world is also going through a similar hype but nothing compares to the jeter run up today. there a 1.00 washington coin is being sold in ridiculous amonuts as well with some fetching 100's of dollars as well.

So is it good for the hobby or what?

Steve
Good for you.

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I think it is never good for a hobby to have a frenzy around something that fetches perhaps hundreds of dollars at a point in time and then becomes a dollar card later.

Although many remember the "fun" of the Bill Ripken error -- there are likely many more on the outskirts of the hobby whose only rememberance of the time was the irrational exuberance accompanied by hundreds of dollars down the drain.

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    I think it is great for the hobby. Let's not take ourselves too seriously here. These are trading cards and the whole point should be to have fun and enjoy ourselves. Is spending $100.00 on a Jeter card that much worse than the annual frenzy that takes place on rookie cards of players who will never amount to anything? Remember names like Greg Jefferies, Kal Daniels, Sam Horn, Phil Plantier, Brien Taylor and the tons and tons of rookies who fall like shooting stars when their careers don't meet expectations. At least with the Jeter card you are getting two hall of famers and a the president.

Worst case scenario, this is a gimmick by Topps for some cheap advertising. So what?
  • I'm not sure that the hobby will be affected in the long run. The people buying this card for outrageous amounts can't possibly be collectors. I would guess that most of them are chasing quick $$$. I can't imagine a true collector that has been around for any time would spend this kind of money for a card that is so readily available. Not to mention a younger collector simply does not have the $ to throw that kind of money at this card. Once everyone realizes there is nothing special about this card as far as numbers go, the price will drop to where it should be.

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

Yes the buyers may be from the 'outside' but the sellers are those that know better.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes the buyers may be from the 'outside' but the sellers are those that know better.

Steve >>

Nothin like turning off new collectors

just had an article on the news where the card is up to 200$
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it is never good for a hobby to have a frenzy around something that fetches perhaps hundreds of dollars at a point in time and then becomes a dollar card later.

Although many remember the "fun" of the Bill Ripken error -- there are likely many more on the outskirts of the hobby whose only rememberance of the time was the irrational exuberance accompanied by hundreds of dollars down the drain. >>

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it in the future.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    If the frenzy lasts for a few weeks, there is no real damage
    to the hobby. If the frenzy dies while the first group of buyers
    are still holding, there will be some damage.

Today's buyers actually think the card is scarce/rare. If those
    buyers have time to flip the cards, the next batch will take
    their lumps like the speculators they are; no damage there.

I really will be surprised if some sense of reason does not
    filter in within the next day or two.

FLASH: My neighbor just pulled two more from a WalMart
    box that only had 9-packs left in it. That store is now sold-out.

A fun card to own, but not scarce/rare.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    its bad for the hobby for the following reason; any new people whom this story brought into the card hobby is definately going to get stung. i think these people who buy these at the ridiculous prices which the card is bringing, i.e anything over a couple bucks, is going to be turned off for good i would think.

edited to add-- the sellers should not be using the term "rare" in their auctions as these are very common cards.

the power of a news story is amazing.
  • Maybe they aren't baseball card collectors, maybe they are all crazed George W fans!!!!!!

Gotta admit it's pretty cool.

Not $200 cool, but cool nonetheless.

Peace

Doug
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
    How is this different than the rookie prospecting that is synomous with the hobby? 99% of those cards are virtually worthless or worth much less in the long run.
    "How is this different than the rookie prospecting that is synomous with the hobby?
    99% of those cards are virtually worthless or worth much less in the long run."

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

1% of those cards will end up having some good value, someday.

100% of the Jeter/Mantle/Bush cards will be worthless, again, soon.

Regardless, people are wasting $100.00 on a one shot card vs. those who waste thousands on worthless rookie cards. I am not condoning either, but who cares if people want to waste THEIR money. More power to those who take advantage the current market.
    Looks like the frenzy has already run its course.

If newbies got burned today, we prolly won't see them
    around anymore.

Hopefully, the buyers will be able to laugh it off.

Lots of NPBs gonna be filed next week.
    I agree with you there. I would be surprised if a lot of these sellers get their money. I think we can agree, that the card did what it was intended to do. It served as a great marketing tool for 2007 Topps.
    "It served as a great marketing tool for 2007 Topps. "

//////////////////////////////////////////////

I NEVER would have bought the packs, if I had not seen the
    "news" story.

• << <i>Regardless, people are wasting $100.00 on a one shot card vs. those who waste thousands on worthless rookie cards. I am not condoning either, but who cares if people want to waste THEIR money. More power to those who take advantage the current market. >>

There are several hundred of this card on EBAY, why these buyers think this card is rare is beyond me. But if they feel the need to spend crazy-money on this card, then so be it. Let the buyer beware...
    This is so funny it is sad.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes the buyers may be from the 'outside' but the sellers are those that know better.

Steve >>

Do we know that for sure, or could it be outsiders just trying to cash in??
    We know nothing for sure, however it is safe to say that those buying this card for moon money have no clue. At best they could buy a box and get one that way. At worst they can buy one for 400.00 at auction while 49.99 examples are on at the same time in BIN format.

Steve

It is good for the hobby in that it draws attention to it. Is the attention good or bad? only time will tell.

Good for you.

• << <i>We know nothing for sure, however it is safe to say that those buying this card for moon money have no clue. At best they could buy a box and get one that way. At worst they can buy one for 400.00 at auction while 49.99 examples are on at the same time in BIN format.

Steve

One has to wonder what these people are thinking... a search of 2007 Topps baseball Jeter reveals over 2,700 auctions currently on Ebay. How rare can this card possibly be with over 2,000 cards for sale, only a week or 2 after the issue's been released?
    Wonder how many of those $25.00 or $49.99 BIN buyers are relisting the card in search of the $100+ riches....
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I'm saying is trite Steve but...

This stuff happens from time to time...

No one put a gun to the heads of the buyers.

"The Hobby is greater than the sum of its collective parts."

mike
    Mike
    Mike I agree.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike I agree.

Steve >>

Steve

Now that the prices on ebay are settling - what the heck are those people gonna think?

I mean - the card is plentiful!!!!

Wow.

But, I will give ya another example - back a few years ago - when Andy Pettite joined the Astros - 2004, I believe, his Topps Heritage card pictured him in an Astros uni.

A very enterprising person - put it up on ebay - First card in Astros.... - he sold it for 20 bucks! That's like what? A 50 cent card?

That's the American way!
    mike
    Mike
    Now that the prices on ebay are settling - what the heck are those people gonna think?

Many will be in denial. My wife had a customer come in the bank today and he mentioned he bought one. 270.00, thinks he will put his kids thru college. what a dope.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • UPDATE....the card is closing in auctions under $45.00 consistently............that was fun watching........

possiblly the shillers went nuts yesterday...what else explains $300.00 and up for this $2 card....

deja vu from last year...everyone running to stores buying topps boxes, cleaning out the shelves.....

Topps has this free advertising/craze creating thing down pat...cant wait to next year.....

Its good for the hobby because just as many people bought and ripped topps packs, as there were people who bought the card on ebay....these are fathers who will give the commons to the kids, thus creating future collectors.....better than leaving the boxes on the shelves getting dusty.....
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I always have mixed feelings about these types of thing. On one hand I think some poor unknowing sap is buying a card he thinks is going to be worth more someday and is going to lose most of his money on this. On the other, I think, as Stone said, no one put a gun to his head and if these people are not willing to do a little research then maybe they deserve what they get??
  • As long as the eBay sellers were not fraudulent in their auction presentation, they have no control over how high the idiots were willing to bid.
  • " Remember names like Greg Jefferies, Kal Daniels, Sam Horn, Phil Plantier, Brien Taylor and the tons and tons of rookies who fall like shooting stars when their careers don't meet expectations. "

I do, fondly. I could buy wax boxes for $18 lol rip em, make sets, sort rookies.. eat some delicious topps gum image those were the days! I sold nearly every Gregg Jefferies RC for $8-10 and i had dozens of them. same thing with Sam Horn, Plantier etc. they went like hotcakes to Red Sox faithful with stars in their eyes!

Sell while the names and the players are hot. take your money and move on. Hard lessons learned. I'm happy to report that I dont have a single Sam Horn, Brien Taylor or Phil Plantier left lol. I DO have a gregg jefferies, signed that I obtained after watching a PawSox minor league game. He hadnt been called up yet and the hype was enormous. He was waiting for a cab, chatted him up. he was a pretty nice kid.