Home Sports Talk
Options

Oilers Fans...

How you feeling today after the trade??

Comments

• Options
    I'm not an Oilers fan, but as a Canadian it's sad to see Captain Canada head south of the border. But, he wanted a chance to win, and it just wasn't happening in Edmonton.
    Jay
  • Options
    Smyth didnt request the trade, and was never expecting to be traded. In Edmonton, they are very upset. But, if you look at it... the Oilers wont make the playoffs. Trade Smyth as a rental player, then resign him in the summer. And, you get 2 prospects and a draft pick. Overall... its a good trade.. if they can resign him. If they cant, then at least they got something out of it.
  • Options
    Actually Euphoria they offered Smythe in the 25 million range (I don't know how many years--heard this on one of the trade deadline shows yesterday afternoon). I'm sure it ate Smythe up inside, but how long can you stay and continue to not win, and not even have a chance to win? (although they did make the finals last year). It would be great to see him back in Edmonton, but I don't think it will happen.
    Jay
  • Options
    Smyth's ticket out of town was punched when the sides couldn't bridge what sources say was a US$300,000 a season financial gap on a five-year deal. It's believed the Oilers offered $5.4 million a season while Meehan was asking for $5.7 million.

So they couldnt hammer a deal.. so get something while you can. Personally.. i dont care for smyth on the ice, off the ice he is a class act. Is he worth $5.7 million to another team.. i dont think so. But, never know. I could see him back in an oilers uniform... or better yet.. in a Flames uniform...lol

Smyth had no idea of the deal.. and deffinately was crushed when he found out.

''This is not what my family and I had in store,'' said Smyth, who met with the media at the Edmonton International Airport. ''This city is like home to me and my family. We've been here for 12 years. I never thought I'd come to this day.''
  • Options
    I agree with you--nearly 6 million for a 30 goal scorer--sure he's got all kinds of heart, but not at that price. He's been around alot longer, and I like him alot better, but when Darcy Tucker only gets 3 million per there is no way Smyth should get double.
    Jay