Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Investment thought - good day for baseball cards?

So with the stock market being down 500 points today, and news breaking on the same day of a baseball card being sold for $2.35 million, it makes me wonder - will today give a big boost to the baseball card market?

I'm sure many high rollers will lose a good deal of $$$ in the stock market today, while at the same time may see the investment potential in high-end vintage baseball cards. (I'm ignoring the Jeter card phenomenon from today.) I see some new folks potentially testing the waters of our beloved hobby as a way to diversify investments.

I know vintage (pre-war) have held up very favorably compared to the Dow Jones in the past 10 years, while 1950s - present have not had quite the same success. I bet this will further increase the demand for high-end vintage material.

Can I get thoughts from folks on this?

Comments

• Options
    Doubt it will have any impact, market correction today just makes for a buying opportunity.

Don't think many people will stop investing in the market and join us idiots buying pieces of cardboard.

I certainly don't do it for investment purposes, it's just a hobby for me.

Peace

Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options
    a 400 point drop in the Dow isn't what it used to be.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Great day for interest rates!!! WOOO HOOOO
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Doubt it will have any impact, market correction today just makes for a buying opportunity.

I agree 100%.
  • Options
    Don't think panic has set in. this was a mild correction. I am glad I have my cards but I am not rushing out to change my asset allocation. 60% of people with 401Ks don't modify their allocations for 5 years and this correction was not enough to set off a baseball card bull market. In fact, the gretzky card everyone is talking about had a decent, not great return over the past few years. there would have been a lot better ways to spend that kind of money than buying a card. Of course, there's the intangibles of owning the most desirable card in the universe. For most of us anyway, that would have been enough of a ROI.

Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

"Don't think many people will stop investing in the market and join us idiots buying pieces of cardboard."

The comment above was brilliant. I laughed my ass off. Thanks!! chaz
  • Options

<< <i>a 400 point drop in the Dow isn't what it used to be. >>

NOW'S THE TIME TO BUY...BUY...BUY...image
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies