Home U.S. Coin Forum

Who here attended the 1985 ANA in Baltimore, when a bison carcass was put on display?

I was reading the QDB nickel book, and he mentioned the greatest of numismatic myths—that the animal on the buffalo nickel was modeled after Black Diamond of the Central Park Zoo—and the fact that this myth has been perpetuated through the numismatic ages.

It seems that this bison outlived his usefulness, and was auctioned off to a dealer in poultry and game for $700. Unfortunately, on December 17, 1915, the bison was slaughtered. His carcass weighed 1,550 pounds, and yielded about 750 pounds of dressed meat and a hide measuring 13 x 13 feet, that latter destined to become an automobile robe.

QDB then tells that Black Diamond’s head was later mounted and has been exhibited throughout the country, including at the 94th annual ANA summer convention in Baltimore in 1985.

Did any board members or dealers here attend this convention and experience this head? It seems a little odd to me, but I’ve seen stranger looking things on the bourse.
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did any board members or dealers here attend this convention and experience this head?

I remember it quite well! One of the dealers, a practical joker, moved BD's head to within a couple of feet of the buffet line. Within five minutes, the head was stripped to the skull like it had been attacked like a school of pirahnna. Not unusual for a coin dealer buffet, I might add.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    did QDB start any new myths about what animal the buffalo was modeled after??
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did any board members or dealers here attend this convention and experience this head?

I remember it quite well! One of the dealers, a practical joker, moved BD's head to within a couple of feet of the buffet line. Within five minutes, the head was stripped to the skull like it had been attacked like a school of pirahnna. Not unusual for a coin dealer buffet, I might add. >>

imageimageimage

I attended ANA in Baltimore in 1985 but I don't remember the bison's head. I do remember some of the coins I looked at, bought, and sold.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did any board members or dealers here attend this convention and experience this head?

I remember it quite well! One of the dealers, a practical joker, moved BD's head to within a couple of feet of the buffet line. Within five minutes, the head was stripped to the skull like it had been attacked like a school of pirahnna. Not unusual for a coin dealer buffet, I might add. >>

Was that PNG Night?????
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was there and I saw it. It was quite impressive.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• If I remember correctly, the head was owned by Bill Fivaz. There were pictures of it on the bourse printed in Coin World. the hide was made into a automobile robe, but I don't know what ever became of that. The meat was sold by a local butcher as Black Diamond steaks for I believe $2 a pound. (Sounds a little high.)

Supposedly when Fraser was sketching the bison he had to employ the help of the zookeeper to attract the animal and hold its attention. Otherwise it insisted on always facing the sculptor.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this thread makes me think BBQ would be a good lunch today
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder where the Bison's head was 9 years earlier, during the "Bison-tennial". imageimageimage

Sorry, I just had to do that. image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the Bass Sale I, Session I catalog, for lot 76, there seems to be some conflicting info with the QDB Book as far as using Black Diamond for the 1901 Note. This is from the catalog:

"76 $10 F-122. Legal Tender note. Series of 1901. Speelman-White. Serial: E49849536. Gem Uncirculated-66 (CGA) ........

....... In a curious numismatic coincidence, the same bison that was the model for the 1901 Legal Tender $10 note also served as the model for James Earle Fraser in 1912 when he created the "buffalo" nickel (first minted in 1913). By that time this ponderous quadruped had little time to live. A 1915 account noted:

"Black Diamond, the famous bison of the Central Park Zoological Garden, New York City, whose image adorns one side of the nickel, will be slain within a few days, but his massive head will be preserved and mounted. The animal has been the model for many sculptors and painters. Despite his fame, there were no bidders when he was put up at auction, but recently the bison was sold to a dealer in poultry and game for about $700. Black Diamond was born 19 years ago in the Zoological Garden and weighs something more than a ton. He is docile and considered a splendid specimen of his kind, but has outlived his usefulness."

Then, in December 1915, The Numismatist printed this, from "magnificence to meatballs," to paraphrase Frank Rowsome, Jr.:

"Black Diamond, the aged buffalo, whose likeness is printed on our $10 Legal Tender notes and is stamped on the last issue of five-cent pieces, was put to death in New York on November 17. He was about 20 years old and the largest bison in captivity. He had been an inmate of the Central Park corral for many years. Black Diamond's hide, which measured 13 by 13 feet, will be made into an automobile robe. The bison weighed 1,500 pounds, from which 750 pounds of dressed meat was obtained. The teeth were in a remarkable state of preservation. The head, which will be mounted, sold for a considerable amount of money. The bison was killed because of old age. He was sold in the surplus livestock auction last summer and was left at the park subject to the call of his purchaser.""

Yet QDB's book hints that Fraser did not use Black Diamond as his model for the nickel due to the horns not matching, suggesting if he did, Fraser was sloppy in his work. It is also mentioned that the model for the Note was a different Bison named Pablo, or according to a book referenced by QDB "Twisted Tales: Sifted Fact, Fantasy and Fiction from U.S. Coin History" by Robert R. Van Ryzin, the bison note image was created from a stuffed animal on display in the Smithsonian.

Interesting stuff to say the least. Has anyone read the "Twisted Tales" book? Looks like it can be found for about $10 or so.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I think the author of Twisted Tales is a member here, if I recall correctly.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file