Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I am really starting to like Canadian pure nickel coinage.

The dimes, quarters and halves especially. Still have reasonable prices on BU's and proof-likes are affordable as well. Plus their days in circulation are numbered.

Comments

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    The added plus is that there are so many out there demand won't outstrip supply any time soon. I've begun collections of US trade dollars, 20 cent pieces, and other coins only to be priced out of the market. Canadian nickel coinage (except for a few rare dates) won't present too much of a budget challenge for me. image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am really starting to like Canadian pure nickel coinage.

Strange how we can say things like that around here and not have everyone roll their eyes at "the dork". image

Edited to say that I also like the series.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since Canadian nickel coinage is magnetic, I still can't help but wonder if it would be possible to get a powerful magnet, a rope, and a small boat, and drag lakes, rivers, swimming holes, and beaches for coins?

Sorry- a mostly off-topic tangent, there, albeit on the same subject.

The treasure hunter in me has always wondered about whether folks do that or not.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to do it as a kid but usually just brought up junk. There was lots
    of boat and fishing stuff. Some things were too big to bring up and then
    it could be difficult to get the magnet off.

I'm sure it would work better in Canada. Maybe under the Niagra Falls. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Probabaly would work best on the beaches on the Canadian side of Lake Huron, Erie and Ontario. Ontario near Toronto would probably produce the most coins, I would think. You'd get old nickel and the new nickel plated steel ones as well.