Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bobby Layne? Identification help needed Please!

Guys,
I obtained some original 35mm negatives recently and really paid up for one as I was certain it was Bobby Layne. It was in pretty rough shape, but with some restorations, it's actualkly really nice now...here's the problem...
For the purposes of identifiation:
1. Is this, indeed, Bobby Layne?
2. When did he wear #14? Chicago Bears? NY Bulldogs? Texas? Early in Detroit? High School (I'd REALLY have something then!)

Any help would be appreciated. I'm pretty sure I won't be accused of auction spamming on this one as it isn't even up for auction until I positively identify him and sort out the date.

Comments

• Options
    Definitely looks like Bobby Layne to me.
  • Options
    His 51 Bowman has him pictured in number 14....
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Looks like him, but according to the Texas U. website, he wore 22 back then.

51 Bowman:image
  • Options
    That football card is gorgeous! I love those Bowmans. Never collected 'em, but always dug 'em. This dates this negative as 1951, I would presume. The seller stated that it was early 50's stuff...apparently correct. Thanks guys!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That football card is gorgeous! I love those Bowmans. Never collected 'em, but always dug 'em. This dates this negative as 1951, I would presume. The seller stated that it was early 50's stuff...apparently correct. Thanks guys! >>

Those Bowmans are nice, but Layne looks like some kid playing airplane in his backyard!?
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    DGF- cool negative! I would love to hear about how you got started in this business and where you find negatives like this.
    very neat
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Its Bobby Layne, it sure aint Night Train Lane!

• Options
    Ahmanfan,
    Hello. I collected sportscards-mainly baseball-for close to 30 years. My favorite part of the cards was always the image quality and color balance/combination.
    When I started doing graded sets, I spent a great deal of energy collecting cards that were very strong in terms of surface. Quite frankly, I, as many have stated time and again, am too hard to please in most cases where cards are concerned.
    I am a former professional player and currently run a couple of baseball schools. I meet an awful lot of people who are involved on various levels of the sports as well as many talented photographers who are well connected. I learned a lot when building card sets about collecting dilligence and relationship building from my dear freinds, Frank Smith & Mike Castaldi. I simply apply those lessons when tracking down negatives. I buy some on eBay, but mainly I follow up on leads or create my own. For instance, I love the Pirates and Astros teams of the late 70's. I look up photo credits, see who's still alive, check obits and next of kin notices and dig through piles of boxes in basements and garages. Some original negatives and slides I have purchased have cost me upwards of $1,000 or more for ONE frame.
    Again, they're collectables for me--just like cards. I am every bit as passionate about these as I was about cards. I still do a card here and there, but my passion is now original film.
    I will say this, the photographers I've met are usually horrible people. Bitter, distrusting, nasty, ego-maniacal freaks who would rather take that Pedro Borbon slightly out of focus 35mm negative to their collective graves than share the image with a family member. They hold on to their work unlike anything I've ever seen. When you meet a good natured photographer they're disarming. It is a spectacular experience as the stories that accomany their work are priceless.
    Lastly, from the sales standpoint, the amount of people that will buy an 8x10 photograph and scan it and re-sell it and basically sell their integrity for $3 is unreal. I've learned a lot and learn more every day. I've made some good pals in the "new" hobby/business, but I still await the "Frank Smith" or "Mike Castaldi" of the photography world.
    I'll let you know when I find 'em. Until then, I'll keep plugging away and occasionally stub my toe!image
    Best,
    Phil