Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

$2 Million Wagner??

Could anyone confirm this.

This is too weird.

I was listening to NPR (National Public Radio) for the first time in my life. A friend of mine told me to listen for a certain commercial I am hoping to hear, but I digress

This is why this is so weird.

One of the first stories they brodcast was that a Wagner recently sold for $2,000,000. I thought I heard something along with it about SCP and that it would be displayed at Dodger Stadium.

Could someone please confirm this report I heard. I don;t think I have become dilusional in my old age

Rob

Comments

• Options
    I don't know who bought it, but it sold for 2.35 million...it was the same one Wayne Gretzky used to own.
  • Options
    no way, the PSA 8 sold??

Wow.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    longest it has been held with any one collector in the last 15 years.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Anyone know if Brian sold his other high end T-206's?

Is the southern California collector, John Branca?
    Buying 1957 Baseball PSA 8 or higher. Especially Checklists, and Contest Cards. Topps1957psa8set@aol.com
  • Options
    Ripken, thanks for posting the story. I just read it. Who is the SCP company? It is amazing to think of any card going for half that much........
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    (If you want peace, prepare for War).........Semper Fi
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone know if Brian sold his other high end T-206's?
    >>

Brian did not, nor is he planning to, sell his other T-206 Hall of Famers
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

<< <i> Who is the SCP company? >>

SportsCards Plus has been a fixture in the hobby for years -- although recently they seem to be associated quite frequently with Sotheby's on sales of baseball cards and memorabilia.

~ms
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, I just finished reading the other article in the first board. It nice to see how the card has changed. I was a little saddened by the postal worker who had to sell the card afer wininng it to pay the taxes.........that sucks
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    (If you want peace, prepare for War).........Semper Fi
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

They originally started out as Laguna Sportscards Plus. My 78 Topps Vending Baseball set that i bought from them in the early 90's are coming back 9's and 10's. Very happy with that deal so far.
  • Options
    I wonder if SCP will crossover this card over to another grading company like GAI and get a higher grade maybe... Or even the same grade it's got to be worth something to the grading card company's to try and get this card slabbed with thier name. I wonder if PSA is trying to keep this card in a PSA holder.
    Just a few of my thoughts. Paul
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder if SCP will crossover this card over to another grading company like GAI and get a higher grade maybe... Or even the same grade it's got to be worth something to the grading card company's to try and get this card slabbed with thier name. I wonder if PSA is trying to keep this card in a PSA holder.
    Just a few of my thoughts. Paul >>

Paul -- I would personally have to think that the number on the holder matters significantly less with this card than with most other examples. Although on "typical" cards, there can be huge valuation differentials between 7, 8 and 9 (and any half-grades in-between), I just don't see that being the case here. For all intents and purposes, this card has been known, for nearly the last 20 years, to be the highest-condition Wagner card in existence. The second closest example, Ireland's PSA 5, is a huge three grade points less than this Wagner 8. I don't think anyone has ever disputed that this is the finest conditioned Wagner known -- and, as such, it is more about the authentication and verification of the card being original and unaltered that reigns supreme.

~ms
  • Options
    MS,
    What if the PSA found out that GAI or SGC was to workout some kind of deal with SPC on reslabing the Wagner into thier holder. The grade of the card would probally stay the same, due to the fact that most would complaine that the card was unfairly regraded. But think of the status to the grading companies to be able to say THe most expensive card in the world has been trusted/incapulated in thier holder. I would think GAI or SGC would pay something to have this card crossedover to them. I would also expect PSA to kiss a little of SPC's ass to keep the Wagner in a PSA holder. It would be a slap in the face to PSA to lose the slabbing right to the Wagner card. Just as keeping the card in a PSA holder is a great marketing tool for PSA as to the trust of the industry to thier grading service and holders.
    Paul
  • Options
    I think you are overestimating ScP's role in the transaction.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    What advantage would the owners get from slabbing it with another company? Everyone would know it's the same card.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to meet the owner with the stones to crack that sucker out of the holder...
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    "Opps I dropped it on the floor. One ding shouldn't hurt it that bad."
    Buying 1957 Baseball PSA 8 or higher. Especially Checklists, and Contest Cards. Topps1957psa8set@aol.com
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    I have been reading a story on a different forum about the origin of this card. It is amazing.

Full story about T206 Wagner
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Well the fact that someone is going to publish a book regarding the history of the card will be interesting - but only if he names names and provides convincing evidence.

I don't need to read or hear any more "I heard from several impeccable sources whose identity I can't reveal that the card was once......."

The Book
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    It would be great to see the before and after trimming photos if they do exist. It does look like some people have a haters agenda on this card. I agree with Dude that if they won't name names and show a convincing lineage of deciet then it will be waste of time to us as collectors. The interesting question will be if they do provide convincing evidence will the price come down?
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>It would be great to see the before and after trimming photos if they do exist. It does look like some people have a haters agenda on this card. I agree with Dude that if they won't name names and show a convincing lineage of deciet then it will be waste of time to us as collectors. The interesting question will be if they do provide convincing evidence will the price come down? >>

Would definitely need something other than a "before" picture to confirm that it was actually the before picture of the Wagner in question. In my mind, that is the biggest hurdle. Wagner reprints are a dime a dozen -- how, in the era of Photoshop and thousands of reprints, will you 100% convince anybody that the supposed "before" picture is actually the same Wagner that is now in the PSA 8 holder?
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Well if the book was going to focus on the "fact" that it was cut out from a sheet then I hope there are some photos of the sheet before and after cutting. Some measurements of the card before and after the 2nd trim job. You would hope that some of this is also dated with letters or other more official documentation and these people give their names and are willing to swear to what they know in a court of law if it came to that. Also, the person on the other board claims the PSA 8 Plank was also cut from this same sheet. The ramifications if this if "proven" true would be profound. Again, trimming a card and cutting it from a sheet would in my mind be committing fraud if they were intentionly trying to mislead someone into believing the card came from a pack etc. I would suspect at those prices PSA would also be worried about being proven that they graded "maybe knowingly" a trimmed card as legit. It would also get press play and basically make a mockary of the whole graded card industry.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Has anyone read the book? I got it yesterday in the mail and plan to tackle it this weekend on the beach.
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I have not read the book, but I've read reviews at another site. The book does not contain before and after pictures, and based on the reviews I've read does not have any relevant first hand testimonials.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    I have not read the book but I understand it does not cast Bill Mastro in a good light.