Baseball card sells for $2.3 million

GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
WOW!! This is rivaling coins!! COOLimage

Comments

• Options
    And another has some fun:

Esteemed audience
    Jeter Topps card has Mantle, Bush in background

NEW YORK (AP) -- As President Bush smiled and waved from the stands and Mickey Mantle looked on from the dugout, Derek Jeter swung his bat. Talk about pressure.

The game never happened, though. It was just someone's idea of a visual gag -- pulled off in a recent Topps baseball card through digital manipulation.

"Somewhere in between the final proofing and its printing, someone at our company -- and we won't name names -- thought it would be funny to put in Bush and Mantle," said Clay Luraschi, a spokesman for Topps in Tuesday's edition of the Daily News.

The president's image is superimposed on the picture, while whoever played the trick took some time blending Mantle into the background of Jeter's card, No. 40 in the set.

Luraschi said that the gag was discovered during proofing of the card, but that it was already in the set. "We couldn't do anything but laugh," he said.

It's not the first card to have silly errors or odd prints, said T.S. O'Connell, the editor of Sports Collector's Digest. "For collectors, there's a real giggle factor for something like this," he said.

The Jeter card could join other famed oddball cards, like the 1969 Topps of Aurelio Rodriguez. That card featured a photo of a bat boy instead of the infielder.

Another collector said the joke would raise the price of the card, which currently goes for $2 on eBay.

Jeter told the News said he didn't know anything about the card. A White House spokesman declined to comment.

Luraschi said he doesn't know whether the card would be corrected in the future.

A picture of the card and more text.
    GO AHEAD! I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO RATE ME A 1!
  • Options
    In the main forum both these topics have their own threads going
  • Options

<< <i>In the main forum both these topics have their own threads going >>

I'm a coinee and only post here to annoy those who dislike NASCAR. image
  • Options
    I see...NASCAR fan, eh?
  • Options

<< <i>I see...NASCAR fan, eh? >>

Yep... Canadian, eh?
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    NASCAR sucks...
  • Options

<< <i>NASCAR sucks... >>

AND

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard rumors there's gonna be a Mini-Cooper race car circuit happening soon.
  • Options

<< <i>I've heard rumors there's gonna be a Mini-Cooper race car circuit happening soon. >>

It's already here!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I've heard rumors there's gonna be a Mini-Cooper race car circuit happening soon. >>

It's already here! >>

Almost unbelievable. LOL

Wonder if our banned buddy Axtell has an entry? image
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

It's already here! >>

Almost unbelievable. LOL

Wonder if our banned buddy Axtell has an entry? image >>

I found one of the judges:

DISCLAIMER

This is a completely random picture I found of some guy, who probably bats for the other team (not that there's anything wrong with that), with man boobs, and posing in front of a mini-cooper. If the above person actually is a current/former member of this forum, it's a complete coincidence. Since said person has waived their rights to privacy by posting this picture without any restrictions, the author of this post takes no responsibility of what happens to said picture.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    And there's even another one in the parking stall behind his man boobs. Musta been a convention.
    Travis
  • Options
    Perhaps some claims of him really being a her are true image

Hypothetically speaking, of course...........
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

It's already here! >>

Almost unbelievable. LOL

DISCLAIMER

This is a completely random picture I found of some guy, who probably bats for the other team (not that there's anything wrong with that), with man boobs, and posing in front of a mini-cooper. If the above person actually is a current/former member of this forum, it's a complete coincidence. Since said person has waived their rights to privacy by posting this picture without any restrictions, the author of this post takes no responsibility of what happens to said picture. >>

That pic is just plain funny! LOL

-
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

It's already here! >>

Almost unbelievable. LOL

DISCLAIMER

This is a completely random picture I found of some guy, who probably bats for the other team (not that there's anything wrong with that), with man boobs, and posing in front of a mini-cooper. If the above person actually is a current/former member of this forum, it's a complete coincidence. Since said person has waived their rights to privacy by posting this picture without any restrictions, the author of this post takes no responsibility of what happens to said picture. >>

That pic is just plain funny! LOL

- >>

Heck - a LOL isn't good enough.

imageimageimageimageimage

-
  • Options
    Yea I will throw another LOL out there as well, and I never really butted heads with him either....image
  • Options
    And what helps make the pic funny is he seems so proud of it - like it's a brand new Corvette or something. If I owned a Mini-Cooper, I would only drive it on moonless nights down dark streets so as to try as best as possible not to be seen in it! image
  • Options
    Kinda like a "moped" fun to drive as long as your buddies dont see you ( you know what I mean imageimage ) image
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    is that really axtell? her left titty is bigger than her right..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

It's already here! >>

Almost unbelievable. LOL

>>

This guy with the man boobs is Axtell??? Holy crap! What an embarrassing picture.
  • Options
    I cannot say with 100% accuracy that it is nor is not. It may not be but then again, it may..

All I know is that it's some dude, with man boobs, proudly standing in front of his mini-cooper.

PS - I'm also positive that picture was not taken by a crappy camera phone image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah....nevermind...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Nah....nevermind... >>

But it was the anti-axtell thought that counted. image