Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Will Ron Santo finally get the nod tomorrow?

The Veterans Committee have their vote results released tomorrow. Will Santo finally get in?
EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

Comments

• BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>The Veterans Committee have their vote results released tomorrow. Will Santo finally get in? >>

God I hope so. I cannot BELIEVE this farce has gone on for this long. PUT RON SANTO IN THE FREAKING HALL OF FAME!!!!
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    true dat, i have a couple nice '69's that i would prolly get graded if he got the nod!

VIVA capitalism

julen
    RIP GURU
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully.

This Braves fan who loves justice will be pulling for him image
  • Ron Santo belongs in the HOF. Isn't he in bad health also? Put the man in the hall during his lifetime.
    My Topps Heritage site.
  • Not to rain on the Cub parade here, but what makes Santo a HOFer?

His career stats are quite similar to Chili Davis - also a good player, but not HOF material. Don't get me wrong - I grew up liking Santo, Banks, Williams, etc. But it seems like he was one of those really good players that isn't quite up to HOF standards.

Convince me otherwise...
    << image >>
  • Gotta go with Mucky on this. Santo's numbers aren't much better than such 'greats' as Bobby Bonilla, Dale Murphy, or even Gary Gaetti!!! He may be a hometown hero for Cubby-town, but he's just another Willie Horton.....
  • I don't think he should get in.
  • Though I think Santo is one of the best ambassadors for the game, and was a popular and steady everyday player, he is Ken Boyer without an MVP and a ring.....
  • Once he hit his prime, Santo was the best 3rd Baseman in the NL for about a 9 year stretch and put up some fine all around numbers. Better numbers than Brooks Robingson over the same time frame. No one ever argues that Brooks didn't deserve to be in the Hall, why the knock on Santo then? Sure no championships, but none for Banks, Carew, Kiner and many others in the Hall.

Santo is under rated and under appreciated. Do you think he was a worse player than say Bill Mazeroski? I know he played second base, but they played in the same era, and I don't see how Maz is a HOF'er and Santo is on the outside looking in. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
  • Here is some info from baseball reference. They have Santo scored at an 88 for HOF worthiness with 100 being the threshold.

Below are the similar batters with Santo....not one is in the HOF...and not one will ever make it. Makes you wonder why a guy like Santo gets the backing for induction when players like Jim Rice and Andre Dawson are on the outside looking in.

Dale Murphy (875)
    Ken Boyer (875)
    Gary Gaetti (875)
    Bobby Bonilla (868)
    Brian Downing (866)
    Graig Nettles (861)
    Ruben Sierra (860)
    Chili Davis (856)
    Luis Gonzalez (855)
    Robin Ventura (854)
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    short answer -- no.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Brooks Robinson not deserving??? 16 straight Gold Gloves??? Heck, Ozzie Smith only had 13. Yeah, the glove goes a loooong way. Probably the main reason Johnny Bench is in....unless you consider doing countless idiotic commercials and owning restaurants HOF-worthy.

of course if you ask me, Alan Trammell and Lou Whitaker deserve to be side by side in the Hall for turning the most Double Plays together in history, aside from their heroics at the bat.......guess we always fight for our yocals, eh?
  • Couple of points.

I think the annoncement is today (2PM) not tommorrow.

I think it is very difficult to compare players from different era . Would you compare the prices of 1960 home with that of a home in 2007 ?

All I know is that he was the 2nd best third baseman in his playing days. I think he nned to be judged against the palyers of his time.

I hope he makes it, but my guess is that no one is elected this year.

I also think Gil Hodges belongs in the HOF.

• jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    i am sorry i dont think he makes it again. he has had how many chances. even in weak years he didnt make it. but if he was such a sure hofer he would have been in by now.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's

• << <i>I also think Gil Hodges belongs in the HOF. >>

Yikes...

• I think it is very difficult to compare players from different era .

While this may be true on some levels, I would say all the players that compared with/to Santo are within the same era. Mid 60's to late 80's....not much happened during those years i.e. Dead Ball era or 'Roids era
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    What about Marvin Miller. It's *shocking* that PLAYERS don't vote Marvin Miller into the Hall of Fame. Hell, it wouldn't be out of line for every player to tithe 5% of their salary to the man.
  • "Santo's numbers aren't much better than such 'greats' as Bobby Bonilla, Dale Murphy, or even Gary Gaetti"

jeez someone else dissing Dale Murphy. This guy was a force for many years, he was a 2 time MVP, 7 time all star; damn right he was a "great"

Ron Santo was a heck of a ball player too! 9 time all star, 5 gold gloves.
    Baseball Reference for Ron Santo
  • Dale Murphy...i know he was. always wondered what happened to him. as soon as his face graced the glorious 1988 Donruss box, that pretty muched marked the end of his greatness. averaged about .235 the next 6 seasons, and the Braves dumped him just before they got good.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd put Dale Murphy in before Ron Santo
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Will Ron Santo finally get the nod tomorrow

Only if there coming out with a limited addition bobblehead
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi

• << <i>

<< <i>I also think Gil Hodges belongs in the HOF. >>

Yikes... >>

I also think Goldman Sachs is a good stock. It is down 10 today. Yikes
  • estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    I just read the biographies/stats of the nominees for the Veterans Committe here.

My takeway was that Gil Hodges and Joe Torre should be locks, with Ron Santo right behind them.

I also see strong cases for Jim Kaat, Carl Mays and Ken Boyer (pretty similar to Santo at a depleted stats position).

Tony Oliva just didn't stay healthy enough with his knees, and it cut his production way down. Not sure why Dick Allen only played 15 seaons, but he was also on HOF pace with a very solid 10-year string.

It's hard to argue who is on the veterans committe, but I'm wondering now who should be on it and isn't?

Edited to add: I think it should be a bigger factor when you have the ability to move from a player to a manager and win a WS like Hodges did once and Torre has done 4 times.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    Incredibly, Santo got the shaft yet again. They should just do away with the veteran's committee at this point. Doesn't look like those idiots will ever elect anyone. Santo came closest. He needed 62 votes and got 57. Bill Mazeroski is in and Santo is repeatedly left out in the cold. What a farce.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Why do managers get relegated to the Veterans comittee? I just went to the HOF website, and Managers have to get in via the Veterans committee. Football coaches, front office guys, and commissioners get elected exactly the same way as players. Anybody know why the discrepancy? IT would seem to me that this would make it harder for managers to get in. How often do you hear casual fans talk about who should get in through the Veterans Committee? When a guy gets support from the press it helps his chances whether it should or not. It obviously shouldn't, but that's a topic for another day. Managers do not get the benefit of this going right to the Veterans committee. There are guys that went in right after they retired and still got in through the veterans committe like Tommy Lasorda and Sparky Anderson. If anybody knows why they do it this way I would be curious to know. Joe Torre being on the ballot is what prompted me to look into this. Just to be clear I do not like the Yankees though.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Bill Mazeroski is in and Santo is repeatedly left out in the cold. What a farce. >>

The fact that they let Mazeroski in is what started the whole re-organization of the Veterans Committee. Maz doesn't belong any more than Don Larsen or Roger Maris, but that doesn't mean that they should water it down further with the likes of Hodges, Santo, etc.
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Incredibly, Santo got the shaft yet again. They should just do away with the veteran's committee at this point. Doesn't look like those idiots will ever elect anyone. Santo came closest. He needed 62 votes and got 57. Bill Mazeroski is in and Santo is repeatedly left out in the cold. What a farce. >>

image They're a complete waste of their own, and everyone else's time and energy! imageimageimage

Steve
  • Did anyone get in?
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The fact that they let Mazeroski in is what started the whole re-organization of the Veterans Committee. >>

I'm well aware of this. My point is that it was just horrendous timing for Santo. I wish he had slid in before they decided to go from being very liberal to completely exclusionary with the VC.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭

<< <i>Did anyone get in? >>

Nobody got in

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Ron Santo in HOF -- guy played when the pitching was much tougher, 10 or 12 teams in the league and was a perennial All-Star at 3rd Base. Problem was, the Cubs couldn't get it done from 69-73 when they fielded some nice line-ups. That team had some of the worst luck I've ever seen. I'm not from Chi-town, but I think Santo deserves a spot. Murphy too. IMHO.