Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

My first Bulk Grading!?

I just received the run down on my first bulk grading. Pretty fast turnaround time (3 weeks 2 days). I sent in 101 Lincolns from 1934-1959. I looked closely under a loupe for blemishes, scratches, discolorations, and overall strike. In addition, I looked at the coin for overall eye appeal. I didn't get any 67's but I got 18 MS66's and 33 MS65's. Personally I am pleased and I am looking forward to seeing the shipment and trying to figure out what the differences are between the MS64s, 65s and 66s are? Can anyone tell me if this is good, bad or average for a bulk order? I'm still trying to figure this all out so if anyone has any ideas let me know!?

Thank you,
Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I would say that it's a good learning experience. Overall, it looks okay as far as a submission goes, but I would look closely at the 64's to avoid them in the future. Some dates in 66 are rare, but in that date range most are somewhat easy to come by.

Hope this helps
  • Options
    Thanks for the information. Most of the 66's are Philadelphia 50's and the 50-D so I'm pleased. Unfortunately no 1954 P in 66 thoughimage
    Best Regards,

Rob

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    Would you mind sharing the costs (or fee structure) for your bulk submission? Did you ask that they all be graded or specify a min grade?

If a min grade, did the costs per coin differ? i.e. $x for each that graded and $y for each that did not meet min.

I've tried a half dozen times to get thru to the bulk submission department - tired of hearing the recorded message.

Thanks,
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    There are minimum costs for grades and once you get into the higher grades the costs do go up.

In various type catagories, the grading cost ranges from two to five tiers. Depending on what grade was issue to the coin.

For example: Kennedy Half dollars have two tiers coins graded and encapsulated in MS66 or below will cost $10 each (1st tier) MS67 and above will cost $15 each (2nd tier) you must specify a minimum grade and if 60+% of your coins don't grade they will charge a fee of $2 for each coin that is returned ungraded plus the cost of grading the encapsulated coins at the given bulk rate for the type and grade.

If 60% or more of your coins are graded and encapsulated then you are not charged for the "no grades" on the coins that do not meet your minimum grading specifications just the coins that were graded and the return shipping. In addition, you must send in at least 100 coins and they must be of the same type such as Kennedy Halves or Ike Dollars (1 type 1 form).

Once all your coins have been graded the bulk department calls you and tells you what the cost of grading your bulk shipment was. Once you have paid in full they ship your coins.
    Best Regards,

Rob