Home Sports Talk
Options

Dale Murphy calls out Sosa, Bonds and McGwire

There's a more detailed story on ESPN.com, but it is an "insider" story and you have to pay to read it. Here's a short blurb:

Murph

Comments

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Wonder if this conclusion came to him recently or if he has been formulating it over some period of time.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Good for Dale. His position is BS. No Proof. Maybe he did something that enhanced his performance?? Regardless, no proof. He should just hang out. Perhaps he will be a Vet Comittee candidate, as a semi-star.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good for Dale. His position is BS. No Proof. Maybe he did something that enhanced his performance?? Regardless, no proof. He should just hang out. Perhaps he will be a Vet Comittee candidate, as a semi-star. >>

Very nicely said, and needless to say I agree with you.
  • Options
    If Dale Murphy had taken steroids he probably would have had 600 Homers when he retired. He was, and is a classy guy. Consumate professional and role model when he played. I would hardly make the statement that he was a semi-star based on what he did during his career. His teammate, Bob Horner, now he was a semi-star.

2 Time MVP (finished in the top 10 two other times)
    2 Time HR champ (finished 2nd three times)
    2 Time RBI Champ.
    30/30 hr/sb
    7 Time AllStar
    5 Gold Gloves.

• Options
    BobbFett72

I agree about Dale Murphy.

He was/is a very classy guy.

Isn't he of the mormon faith? That's NOT a judgement question tho!

Tony
    KalineFan
  • Options
    Yes, I believe he is a devout Mormon and tithed 10% of all his earnings to the church over his career.

I recall that he almost quit baseball when he was in the minors to do missionary work, but Ted Turner convinced him to stick it out.

Apparently Dale Murphy was/is Arods idol growing up. go figure.
  • Options
    He was a good player, not sure about great player...at times yes, but maybe not for a career. I think what is/has hurt his HOF chances is the fact he played on very bad teams.
  • Options
    Why can't Murph complain about the "roid boyz", everyone else does. One could argue* that by diminishing the value of the home run, Sosa, Bonds, McGwire et al. have keep Murph out of the hall, after all his 398 jacks looks tiny compared to Big Mac's.

*Please note I said One could argue, not that I would argue.
  • Options
    As I previously stated, he is a Vet Comittee candidate for consideration into the HOF. He is a semi-star in today's game and yesterday's game. He has solid stats, I like him, but why him versus other candidates in his class? Tony Oliva and Rico Carty???
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Most interesting (new) Bonds fact I have heard in the last year or so.
    Since his rookie year, age 20 or 21, his SHOE size has grown from size 10.5 to size 13.

I won't even bother to mention his caricature-ready skull.
    (Just think how big a caricature artist would have to draw his head if he wanted to match the normal dimensions of the ratio between human being/caricature!)
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !