Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

cool NEWP........

Peruvian Sol with Guatemala counterstamp. Don't know too much about it, and i'm unsure whether NGC/PCGS would slab it with the counterstamp, but i found it too cool to pass up.
Anyone have info on these, and why they were counterstamped?

Comments

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    These are cool coins! I have a couple of them. Yes, NGC will slab them. I sent this one in and it came back MS64.

imageimage
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>These are cool coins! I have a couple of them. Yes, NGC will slab them. I sent this one in and it came back MS64.

imageimage >>

cool, thanks! I LOVE the look of yours, a super strong counterstamp strike! thanks for sharing
  • Options
    nice coins--I can see why you couldn;t pass them up!
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    I have a peruvian sol and a guatemalan peso... but I don't have a peruvian sol with a guatemalan counterstamp!

It's sorta like those old reeses peanut butter cup commercials...
  • Options
    Hey, get yourself a hammer and an anvil and you can fix your problem! image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's interesting how the counterstamp has a denomination on it, thus rendering the coin a double-denomination piece of sorts.

That MS64 with the sharp counterstrike is awesome, but I also like the olive toning on yours, Doogy.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe that some are listed in Krause - will need to confirm.

My thoughts on why are:

It was probably cheaper for the counterstamping authority to do the stamp then actually mint the coin. This allows them to use a foreign nation's coinage as coin of the realm.

Some countries used counterstamps to revalue previous issues. Brazil has many examples of this practice.

BTW: nice coins!
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know of a dealer who sells this coin?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>Anyone know of a dealer who sells this coin? >>

i may not be a dealer, but i play one on TV. for your finest Swiss coin, and a check for $47,567 it's yours Don!
    Seriously, i don't know of anyone that has any of these. I stumbled across mine on eprey; ironically enough, the Sol in the same condition as this one without the counterstamp went for twice the price. i'll take the counterstamped one at half the price please! image
  • Options
    These are listed in Krause under Guatemala, KM 216-227. There are several host coins from different countries. In my opinion these are priced stupidly cheap in Krause... $35 in XF? Sure, I'll buy 'em all day long.