Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Would this card crossover to PSA as an 8? Opinions appreciated, Thanks

The centering is the main issue as I see it, which is lilely why it was sent to SCG in the first place . . . I hope I did the link right . . .
http://cgi.ebay.com/1976-Topps-PETE-ROSE-240-Reds-SGC-88_W0QQitemZ110075832234QQihZ001QQcategoryZ57996QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Text

Comments

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I think it will, IMO.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't send it in as slabbed. You gotta crack it out, otherwise you're defeating yourself right at the git go.
    If you don't know how, ask and I'll tell you how I crack slabs. Looks like a PSA 8 to me.
  • 8 and agree with cracking it out. centering is fine for a PSA 8, well within guidelines.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • looks like it should...BUT..watch out how nice the card really is!! You'd hate to get a 9 OC back!!
  • <<<<<<<looks like it should...BUT..watch out how nice the card really is!! You'd hate to get a 9 OC back!! >>>>>>>>>>

Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Good day,
    Speaking of cracking, I have Non Sport Beckett that I want to break out and send to PSA. I started to try and get it out and was amazed at how well it is glued. Short of breaking out the Oxy/Acy do you have any tips.
    Thanks
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I do not think it would cross or get an 8 if sent in raw. The centering is a tad off IMO.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice card but I see it being too off-centered as well
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How I crack my cards out...not for the faint of heart, but very effective.

Use a vise, any vise will do...place the slabbed card in a vertical position with protection like pieces of shim or other wood to "sandwich" the slab at the bottom, but not much more than an inch or so to protect the bottom of the card. Apply pressure with the vise till it snugs about one, but not more than two inches of the card in the vise. Do NOT over tighten the vise, but apply enough pressure to secure the card within the vise. You should not be able to move the card easily from side to side.

Get a chisel, a sharp one that has a beveled edge. Get a hammer and place the chisel at one edge of the top of the card inside the tiny groove that is the mating point of both sides of the slab. DO NOT use the chisel in the middle of the slab. Gently tap the chisel downward until you achieve separation of that edge of the slab, you will hear or feel a slight cracking sound as separation begins. Do not overdo it!! Apply just enough tapping to force the edge to separate. Now do the same on the other side. NEVER, NEVER chisel in the middle!! The edge halfs of the slab act as a guide for the chisel to preclude you from jabbing the card. If you go for the middle, you could damage the card.

The beveled edge of the chisel will allow for protection and preclude the chisel from damaging the card and will actually allow for a continued separation.

You only need go about half way or so down each edge of the card. Now carefully remove the card from the vise. You should be able to complete the task by gently pulling the slab halfs apart. Once one half is off, simply allow the card to fall into the palm of your hand...DO NOT reach for the card, you may damage the corners. Once you have the raw card in your palm, you should have a card saver nearby. With your free hand take your index finger and thumb, gently hold the card as you pinch open the card saver. Insert one corner gently and slide the card into the holder. Only use the finger print parts of your finger and thumb to touch the card, no finger nails, or you will mark the card and nuke your rating.

At this point you should be ok as you gently work the card into the holder.

Works for me!!

GL

• it's almost exactly 70-30 but that is using a screen caliper, not 100% accurate. So, it qualifies as an 8, but too close to call without the card. if it's a 9, you're in trouble, though, per 5stat's comment.
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• I had a 1972 Football common come back as a PSA 8 ST. I cracked it, rubbed the wax stain off the front and sent it back in... as you might guess, it came back a PSA 9 OC. So now you're hoping that the card isn't a 9, an unusual position to be in! Good luck!
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good day,
    Speaking of cracking, I have Non Sport Beckett that I want to break out and send to PSA. I started to try and get it out and was amazed at how well it is glued. Short of breaking out the Oxy/Acy do you have any tips.
    Thanks
    Neil >>

The way that I get BGS cards out is to just take a hammer and hit the edges of the holder, front and back. Pieces of plastic will be flying everywhere so I cover it with a small towel first. Once the edges are gone, it comes apart easily.