Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Candy Lids in a Basic Set

Ok, I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I was a little confused to see the 1973 Topps Candy Lids make it in to the Pete Rose Basic set. Up until now, the only cards in the set were the standard issue topps, fleer, and donruss. I can see adding the sportflics or something like that but a candy lid, that I must say, doesn't come up that often. This seems to me to be a special issue card and shouldn't be included. But, PSA has confirmed via e-mail for me that they believe it belongs so I don't have much of an argument to get it removed; I was just wondering what the rest of the guys think. Should we just get rid of basic sets since there is too fine a line between what goes in a master set or a basic set?

Comments

• Options
    Candy lids? Wonder if they just made a mistake.
  • Options
    If so, it will be tough to complete the set since there has only been 4 graded.
  • Options
    Check out the Nolan Ryan basic and master sets for your answer.
    Collecting Nolan Ryan Master, 1968 Basic, and WHA, as well as unused and authentic tickets from 60s-70s rock concerts.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Candy Lids should DEFINITELY NOT be in a basic set. That's crazy talk.
  • Options
    Gail e-mailed me from PSA and told me that "If you check Beckett online the Topps Candy Lids are considered a main set". Pete is considered a modern player according to PSA rules, so that means the basic set needs to include all main set cards. I agree that Topps is definitely a main company, but it seems like Topps put out a special set and special sets aren't supposed to be included in a basic set. I don't know exactly what a candy lid came in so I'm not really sure how readily available these cards were. But if only a few have been graded, and I have only seen a few on eBay, I can't imagine theses would be considered a basic set addition.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    PSA seems to be increasingly inconsistent with their rules on main sets. It was exactly this sort of issue for which Master Sets were created.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Using that logic, then shoudln't the 1974 Topps Deckle Edge cards be part of a basic set? Regional release, limited production? Makes no sense to me.
    Collecting Nolan Ryan Master, 1968 Basic, and WHA, as well as unused and authentic tickets from 60s-70s rock concerts.
  • Options
    Right on. In the Al Oliver Basic Set, the following are included:

78 Burger King
    83 Drake's
    All of those crazy 70s Discs
    OPCs

BK were definitely regional. Each of the Discs is regional. Drake's? There was not one near me where I grew up. And are not O-Pee-Chees, especially from the 70s, from Canada? Texas is far from Canada, so maybe someone had stolen the O-Pee-Chee shipment on its way to Texas when I was growing up.
    I collect PSA graded 1980-81 Basketball.

Successful transactions with bouwob, lifeshouldbefun, SDSportsFan, Bkritz, tsalems1, kwtoz, johnny1976, Topps29, Calaban7, nascar20, bking, bedellsonics, Beck6, Dialj, Echocanyon, mdkuom, gosteelers, artimus.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Even though I have these items and more for the players master sets that I collect, I don't feel they belong in the basic sets. Why not put the Topps posters in? I remember colecting them. The coins and scratch offs were easy to collect too.

I don't think its the collectors that are asking to add these and all those discs(I have them all) to the basic sets. I feel that its just another way for PSA to make more money. The amount of candy lids being graded are not that much, largely because there is not that much of a market for it. If all of a sudden tese odd ball items are mandetory, well well well a new market. Another thing, most of those discs are considered to be Tall boys, which are normally more costly to grade. Again I feel its not us collectors that are asking for this change , I believe its PSA looking for expanded market opportunities.

If I didn't have these discs and odd-ball items, I would be crying because its not fair. I all ready have them . The basic sets thats others and my self collect will be by and large tilted in favor of those that already have them. We , as a collective group , need to hammer away at PSA and let the collectors set the collecting parameters , because its our money thats driving the hobby, not PSA's.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    I have already deleted my Griffey Sr sets because of the absurdity of the expansive Basic set. And abandoned an Al Oliver set before buying the 1st card.

There is no sense in even maintaining a Registry Set since I refuse to buy (let alone submit) the regional issues. From here on out, it will be strictly raw and strictly the cards I could have picked up at my local 7-11 when I was a youngster.

I am just one small potato, but the inclusion of those cards in the Basic Set has eliminated 25-50 possible submissions from me. And deteriorated the market for already graded cards.

Plus it eliminates any need for me to purchase a membership at all. Looking on the bright side, that decision saved me a couple hundred bucks!

Thanks PSA!

Mike

• Options
    Almost forgot....Drake's isn't actually a place. It is a competitor to Hostess. They make Ho Hos and the like if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    I agree complete. Disc are not basic cards, they are odd ball cards.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I have said it a million times, why don't they just have collector sets? Where you list what you have and it goes in chronological order and doesn't list a billion cards in a set to show I have 10? I guess the competition thing kind of goes away but they could just do it on card count to give out the awards? If it says Al Oliver on the flip its allowed.If you want to collect 22 teams cards for the Yaz set then go for it if not then don't?If you want to just do a Topps run then go for it at least it will be under a players name and not buried in a 1002 diffrent sets over in the collectors showcase.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

<< <i>From here on out, it will be strictly raw and strictly the cards I could have picked up at my local 7-11 when I was a youngster. >>

Does that mean you'll still collect the 7-11 Slurpee Discs? image
  • Options
    The Candy lids were just added to the Rose Master set as well. A quick check of the sets shows the #1 set owner just added that to his collection. I don't look at the other sets you all are talking about but I do take issue with the oddball cards in basic sets. I requested the Griffey Sr Set and am doing both the Basic and Master so I would have gotten all the oddball stuff anyway. But this doen't make sense. Looking at the Rose Basic, it has a nice line on Topps and then this Candy lids card. I also have an issue with cards in Basic sets that aren't included in Master Sets! I know some people are building one or the other or both but isn't there a checklist at PSA that says if it's in the Basic it's in the Master! I emailed set registries about it and was told that I had to submit a set addition request. Doesn't it make sense? Frustrating................

Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I got into the same argument w/ PSA over the inclusion of the Police cards in the basic set. The problem is that PSA blindly follows what Beckett labels as a "main set"...which is ridiculous. I also got into a similiar argument over whether the Kenner cards should be in the basic set - which PSA insists they should be allowed.

If this is the case, then just have one friggin set w/ all the cards in it. Otherwise, why bother w/ the hassle of fighting about it???

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    If PSA is going to blindly follow the online Beckett lists, they should just get rid of the basic sets. Beckett doesn't list "main set" cards separately, they just list the parallels and inserts separately. What is left should not be called "main set" cards. Oddball and regional issues should not be considered “main set” cards. The basic sets should only include the base cards of the regular issue sets issued by the major manufactures.

I already put together a list of all of these sets for all the baseball sets in the 1980s and 90s. The list was not hard to put together and it is pretty it was clear what sets should be included on the list. PSA should keep a list like this to standardize the basic sets. If there is another set that a collector thinks should be added to the list, all collectors should be polled.

The list would only be needed for sets issued before the year 2000. Beckett would actually be adequate for determining main set cards from 2000- present because oddball and regional sets are no longer (or rarely) issued.
  • Options
    Well, all of our complaining must have worked. I just looked and now the card is not included in the basic set. The world is right again.
  • Options
    Great. I just hope this happens to the Al Oliver Basic Set. And for other sets too.
    I collect PSA graded 1980-81 Basketball.

Successful transactions with bouwob, lifeshouldbefun, SDSportsFan, Bkritz, tsalems1, kwtoz, johnny1976, Topps29, Calaban7, nascar20, bking, bedellsonics, Beck6, Dialj, Echocanyon, mdkuom, gosteelers, artimus.
  • Options
    I wish they would remove the Denny's hologram & Metz Bakeries from the Andy van Slyke "BASIC" set.
  • Options
    Glad it worked for somebody. Here are some of the following cards that are included in some of the basic player sets I've been following:

Spanish Fournier Estrellas (regular cards & stickers)
    College issued cards
    European Upper Deck cards
    McDonald's cards
    Subset issues within a major set
    Converse
    Police issues
    Candy Company issues
    Bakery issues
    Discs

Will it ever end? I just checked out a few other sets and apparently there are some issues from last year (2006) that are weighted heavier than rookie cards from the late 80's and early 90's. This just gets more interesting and disgusting by the day. I find it interesting that PSA follows Beckett's guidelines. Are they not still their main competitor in the grading industry?

Maybe we should all chime in and try to get some order and standards set because it's getting much worse every time I browse every other day.