Home PSA Set Registry Forum

With my 1956 Topps set done, the small pre-war set hunt has begun

Hi Guys, I have for thinking about working on a smaller pre-war set for some time now. I think that this is the best time for me since my 1956 Topps basic and master sets are complete. I haven't yet decided what I am doing with the 1956 Topps set but I have come up with three smaller pre-war sets that interest me. They are the 1921 Exhibits cards, 1936 R311 cards and 1936 R313 Glossy version cards. All three have that cool black and white look with great action shots and nice player content. My plan is to start all three in raw condition first and then start sending in the really nice ones for grading. I am only looking to ultimately do each of these sets in the PSA 3 or PSA 4 level so hopefully I can find raw cards at a reasonable price to meet this condition. I would think that I will buy the stars already graded when the time comes because they are more risky to get in raw and grade myself. If anyone has any advice, suggestions or even cards for sale - let me know. You can PM me or email me at nbdowney@msn.com - Thanks for your time, Neil

Comments

• What happened to your budding t201 collection?
  • Neil,
    In the world of low grade, pre-war vintage collectiing, always remember to keep the hunt about two things.
    The card and the fun.

Enjoy the images inside the borders and throw all the predispositions about the numbers on the flip aside.
    There's so much to learn about cards and baseball, "When the Grass Was Real".
    Good luck!
    RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • All good choices, relatively easy to find and affordable (for the most part). Some of these are worth considering buying graded when you can find them. They are not overly competitive and many are very reasonable, even HOFers. The photos are exceptional. The R313 has a couple of small subsets as you probably know (A and B). Here's a couple of examples. The Gold Medal Foods (aka Gold Medal Flour) is from the R313A issues earlier but considerd a subset. The 1921 Exhibits - good luck with Ruth! I also attached a '36 Goudey Premium and as you can see, very similar looking cards.

Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    You can really open up your options if you never define exactly "which war"...image

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • good one, Frank. Seems like every card ever made is theoretically pre-war. I guess they should change the designation to pre-world war.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Hi cravetopps, I looked at those cards too. I like them all! Nice scans. Good to hear from you Frank. Give me a call when you are feeling up to it. Neil