Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hear that? That's the sound of me crying ...

Didn't even put in a bid because I didn't think it would end this low. 1933 Sport Kings Jack Dempsey PSA 7

The last PSA 7 sold for $601 just last month. Only one other guy in the Dempsey registry has a '33 SK higher than a 3. Tis a sad, sad day my friends. image

Let this be a lesson to one and all, always set a snipe no matter how slim the chances are you think you'll win.

Arthur

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    the winner is a buying account for red zone. it will come back around very soon under their name.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    That stinks Arthur!

Maybe the guy that won it had a really high bid like $700.00 or something.....yeah, yeah, thats the ticket.

Just tell yourself that and everything will be just fine image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look on the bright side Arthur. The winner may have put in $600+, there's no way to know for sure. This auction is another reason why I think the auction starting out at $1.00 with no reserve winds up bringing more than one where the bidding starts off at half book.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I don't think the card is a "7", Arthur. The one that sold last month is a solid 7; this one is shaky, at best. I would not be surprised to see this grade as a 6 or even a 5 if it was resub'd.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's too bad Arthur.

As some have said - he was lucky - ya never know what his "high" bid was - if he set a snipe, e.g.

You'll get'm next time!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭✭
    Shame Arthur. The Sport Kings set is one I've always wanted to build. I didn't even look for those this week. Good thing as I spent more than enough elsewhere already. Hopefully those prices stay around for a while and we can both pick one up.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    i would have to agree the higher closed card looks a lot nicer, but it could be the scan.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    what's going on with the nose and face of Dempsey? definitely not a high end card in my opinion
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that. That's a nice looking Dempsey.

I win less than 10% of the auctions I bid on - which is good because I don't spend much that way, and when I win it's for a nice price. image
    << image >>
  • Options
    Definitely looks like a 6 to me. I wouldn't feel too bad about missing out. I think it's overgraded.

Lee
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7's on some of those cards? Why can't I ever get a grader such as that? image
  • Options
    I agree, the 6 is easier on the eye but to be honest ... I would've taken the registry bump and then turned around and picked up a beautiful looking 2 in an ebay store that looks like a solid 7 (maybe an 8) but has a teeny surface wrinkle. I do consider myself a collector first (I continuously buy Dempsey cards even if I already have them in high grade) but to get a great registry score like that for nearly half the going rate would've been great. Oh well.

At least Departed won Best Picture image

Arthur
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Arthur >>

"I'm gonna go have a smoke right now. You want a smoke? You don't smoke, do ya, right? What are ya, one of those fitness freaks, huh? Go f&ck yourself."

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Arthur >>

"I'm gonna go have a smoke right now. You want a smoke? You don't smoke, do ya, right? What are ya, one of those fitness freaks, huh? Go f&ck yourself."

image >>

Arthur
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    That was a steal at a 7. Though, there is merit to buy the card not the grade, it still is a great price.
  • Options
    Arthur, here's some eye candy for you.... image

Tunney / Dempsey '32 CJs....
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6