Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Can anyone tell me about this set of medals from Portugal?

I have no clue as to what these are or why they were issued, the largest one is about the size of a Silver Dollar:

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    King Carlos I was assassinated Feb. 1, 1908, along with his eldest son and heir, Luiz Filipe, so the medals may be a memorial of his reign, which began in 1889. The insert with the medals says "Commemorative medals, kings of Portugal series, 5 silver miniatures of .917 fineness."
  • Options
    These are a set of private issued medals (by "Topázio", a jeweller in Porto - or "Oporto"), based on the 1898 India obverses (although there wasn't 100 and 50 reis on that series) and on the 1000 Reis Carlos I circulation coin on the reverse.
    If i'm not mistaken, they were struck in the 50's and sold for a few years as souvenirs. Valuewise, they worth melt without certificate and velvet "holder", with those they may worth a little more but the final price mainly depends on the buyer interest. There's also a gold issue of the "crown" sized medal but it's rare nowadays.

...and newsman already posted the historic background and translation...

Jose

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Cool, thanks guys!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The medals themselves certainly look like something from the first decade of the 20th century, but the printed card looks awfully new and appears to be from a much later time?

Ah, yes. I see Jose's post, now. That cursive-style script at the bottom looks much more like something from the 1950s.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Here is a set recently sold on ebay. A 73mm version sold for ~$100 several months ago.