Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Venting about card show dealers....

OK, so I take a few hours out of my busy day to go to a local area mall show with 20 tables or so. As I'm going from table to table, these are the highlights:

- One guy has shoebox after shoebox full of Orioles (I'm in Baltimore) cards in individual 4-screw cases, with a sign "All Orioles- .50". Now here you have roughly 1000 cards, all commons, that you're selling for .50 each. You think so highly of them, that you decide to put them in holders that cost around .50? Where exactly is your profit center here, and why are commons taking up roughly 80% of your table?

- Table after table of VG and EX cards marked like "Book- $80, Sale- $65". Wow, that is quite a sale. I've been looking for a place where I could buy 70s cards in rough shape for close to Beckett's high price. Is it still 1990?

- I ask to see a '68 Clemente that's marked $75, and upon close inspection, it has four bad but not terrible corners, and a small crease. The guy tells me "that one's in great shape, I could go down to $65 on it". Thanks, but I'll pass.

- When you have a box full of cards on your table with such gems as a 2001 Chrome Doug Flutie refractor marked at $15, it might be time to update your prices.

- When exactly did Nascar collectibles and Role Playing Game (e.g. Magic the Gathering) dealers begin to outnumber sportscard dealers at card shows?

Needless to say, I didn't buy anything. It was table after table of overpriced crap. The people that spend their weekend setting up for these shows amaze me. They're so completely out of touch with what's going on in the hobby, and just do these shows with blinders on. Why do you think you've had the same 30 cards in your main showcase for the last 5 years? It's really depressing.

Lee

Comments

• Options
    i hear ya!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So true...however, the buyers these dealers are trying to attract aren't the well informed buyers like yourself, but the "casual" fan who believes that a well worn Clemente is worth 80% of "book" price. I mean, there are many people out there with boxloads of late 80s stuff who think they're sitting on a gold mine, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Oh, I dunno. maybe he got the cases for free? They fell off the truck.

Steve

Edited to add: Sounds like a great show. ;-0
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> It was table after table of overpriced crap >>

Lee

Just out of curiosity - did ya ask any of them if they buy/sell on ebay?

I'm wondering just how far they're living under that rock?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    I ask to see a '68 Clemente that's marked $75, and upon close inspection, it has four bad but not terrible corners, and a small crease. The guy tells me "that one's in great shape, I could go down to $65 on it". Thanks, but I'll pass.

When he learns how to press out the crease, stretch the card, and fix the corners he'll graduate on to ebay powerseller status. image

Seriously, if they want a market for off-grade vintage and modern commons, they should get out of the malls and get on shop at home. Oh wait - that would require a personality. Nevermind.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    stone,
    I generally don't ask them much about their business because I don't want to let them in on the fact that I know what's going on. Also, I'm getting tired of hearing how "The internet and card grading are ruining the hobby, blah blah blah......".

Lee
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    I live in Baltimore and rarely attend any of the "local " charity events. I think there is the presumption of stupity , that drives these bozo's. In times past , I would be asked why do you need a loupe ? If it mint its mint. "Who are you going to believe , Me or your own eyes "

I have a favorite saying , about society in general , that normally applies to the values and PC thoughts that we are asked to believe without questioning , " Nonsence is nonsence , even to GOD ". I know some of these people need money or maybe a job , but " Garbage is Garbage even to GOD ".

I left a thread earlier and was looking for someone to go to the BIG Reading show this up coming week end. If interested please get back to me.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    calaban,
    You couldn't be more right about the presumption of stupidity, which to be honest isn't all that untrue in our area. That's the only reasonable explanation of why people will buy Melvin Mora autographed plaques for $100.

Wish I could make it to the show next weekend, but I won't be able to break free.

Lee