Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1964 Topps Set Collectors...

Hey guys didn't see a post on the 64's so I thought I might start one. I started the set several months ago as a goal i want finish. I love the style and simplicity of this set. Right now I am sitting a 42 on the registry and hoping to fill in some gaps. Let me know what others interested in the set think. Maybe we can help each other collect.........................rob
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
(If you want peace, prepare for War).........Semper Fi

Comments

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    First set I put together by buying it in whole series as they came out from the Card Collectors Company in NY, rather than through packs
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Sweet, I just recently got the "fever" as I call it to put this set together. I am only at at little over 13% complete but I am loving it. It is a great way to take you mind off of work. Each card I get I cherish and share with my kids. I can see right now that I am going to need some kind of box to put all of the cards in. I have about 97 graded right now and plan on getting to about 35% by the end of the year................
  • Options
    rob,i have the following grade psa 7 no qualifiers to trade or sell:34,52,68,82,93,96,127,129,140,158,192,206,238,248,261,279,304,333,382,405,508.i,m working on '56 topps baseball graded among other things.
  • Options
    PM sent................thanks.............rob
  • Options
    Another PM sent.......................
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    When I started building PSA graded sets, this was one of the five that I chose to begin (57, 61, 63 and 64 were the others). Even though this set (like the others) was before my time, I consider this one of the best looking sets ever. I really love the classic design with bold colors on a white canvas. So simple yet so elegant. Some of the cards that happens to color coordinate the photo with the color of the text are some of the best looking cards ever. Plus I really, really love the league leaders, world series and combo cards. Since I don't have any left in my collection, I would love to see some images from this set posted here.
  • Options
    I agree. I will try to post some images. I finally got the #15 Card this evening of Versalles. It seems to be one of the tougher ones and moved my set up from 42 to 41st on the registry. I am simply addicted to this set. It helps to take the pains away from another deployment that seems coming to my unit pretty soon. I am trying to get a Mantle and have a PSA8 in my sights. I have been working with one of my buddies online (a great man, and collector) who is helping me build it.

I think my favorite card is the Robinson as I loved Frank Robinson. I still have gotten the card yet but its coming in the near future.
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

I am also working on this set and am around 70% complete in psa 7/8s. I bought a large lot a while back and ended up with a ton of doubles. I have attached the list and am willing to trade or sell. Let me know what you have or what you need. Thanks Rob for starting this thread...I love this year.

Jeff
    Email is jeff58@sbcglobal.net

Card Name Grade SMR
    8 Yaz Leaders 7 30
    11 Aaron Leaders 7 30
    23 Common 7 8
    28 Common 7 8
    28 Common 7 8
    34 Common 7 8
    35 Mathews 7 40
    37 Common 7 8
    38 Wynn 7 10
    72 Common 7 8
    76 Checklist 8 17
    81 All Star Vets 7 25
    87 Cardinals Team 7 12
    88 Common 7 8
    99 Common 7 8
    116 Oliva RC 7 20
    130 Common 7 8
    139 World Series Yanks 7 15
    142 Common 7 8
    152 Common 7 8
    156 Common 7 8
    166 Common 7 8
    171 Common 7 8
    173 Common 7 8
    181 Common 7 8
    183 Common 7 8
    189 Common 7 8
    193 Common 7 8
    195 Common 7 8
    195 Common 7 8
    197 Common 7 8
    205 Fox 7 25
    207 Common 7 8
    214 Common 7 8
    218 Common 7 8
    227 Common 8 17
    231 Common 8 17
    232 Lopez 7 10
    240 White 7 10
    243 Allen RC 7 35
    246 Mota 7 10
    249 Common 8 17
    257 Giants Team 7 12
    257 Giants Team 7 12
    264 Common 7 8
    273 Common 7 8
    279 Common 8 17
    288 Common 7 8
    289 Common 7 8
    291 Common 7 8
    306 Giant Gunners Mays 7 40
    314 Common 7 8
    320 Colavito 7 30
    333 Common 7 8
    333 Common 7 8
    338 Common 7 8
    339 Common 7 8
    367 Common 8 17
    367 Common 7 8
    369 Common 7 8
    370 Common 7 8
    378 Woodward RC 7 12
    383 Common 7 11
    391 Common 7 11
    392 Common 7 11
    396 Common 7 11
    399 Common 7 11
    405 Common 7 11
    405 Common 7 11
    413 Common 7 11
    440 Clemente 7 235
    451 Common 8 24
    483 Common 8 24
    485 Common 8 24
    494 Common 8 24
    510 Common 8 24
    551 Common 7 17
    564 Common 7 17
    573 Common 7 17
    577 Common 7 17
  • Options
    Jeff, awsome I may need some of these...............................rob
  • Options
    Rob (and other 64 fans),

To say the 64's are one of my favorites would be a real understatement. While the backs are nothing to go nuts about the fronts are truly classic with a clean look and great pictures/portraits. It was one of my first complete sets and I hope to finish my upgrading this summer. I actually completed the raw set in 64 while in college. Rob's posting really got me looking at my set and in the next week or two I will start a mission to get scans of my set posted. I am guessing it will take a few months. I have about two dozen 8's to upgrade to 9's and am working on a deal for some at this time. Then I will call it quits.

Statistically I realized that with the upgrades I will be adding that I: (1) have almost half of all the 10's ever graded for this set, (2) over 95% of my set is either MINT or GEM MINT, (3) virtually every star card is MINT, (4) over 95% of the cards are the highest grade available and (5) over 60 will be 1/1 with none higher.

Yes, I am bragging a bit, but with a point; as I mentioned above it is time to quit. I will make it a 65th birthday present to myself. By the fall I will be finished upgrading and will let this set go. At this time I do not know how... I will worry about that later. In the meantime I do have some duplicates that I will round up and add to this post next week should any be interested (mostly 8's and 9's).

Rob... I am also a retired Marine (served in the 60's/70's). My eBay id is VMFA_VET as I was a pilot with a Marine squadron; Semper Fi!

Dave C.

Link to my 64 set
  • Options
    Dave:

Great 64 set, along with all your others.

Truly one of the finest if not the finest sets on the Registry from the 60's.

Good luck on the upgrades.

Peace

Doug
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options
    Dave, first off Semper Fi, brother in arms. I can't wait to see some of your set. Let me know what you have in 8's and I will see what I can do. I am overly excited about this set and was hoping to get a ways through it before another deployment, but I am sure you have seen your share of deployments. In a foxhole, cards are the last thing on your mind but it sure is nice to think of them when your not............
  • Options
    Different war, different time (Nam) and I was several thousand feet above the holes... thank god. And Doug, always appreciate the kind words.
    Dave C.
  • Options
    Dave, Ive never seen a 10 in the 64 set up close, can you get a scan of one. I have seen some 9's that could pass as 8's or vice/versa but never caught a real good glimpse of a 10..............
  • Options
    Rob,

I have PM'd you with information. Also, below are a few of my favorite 10's.

Dave C.

Hummm, I seem to be having trouble getting them to appear (I just scanned them into my set on the registry so they do work).
  • Options
    I can see the images if I copy the image location and past the address into the browser. I'm not sure why they are not linking to you post but I noticed the addresses of the images in you post are different the addresses that I get when I go to you registry set. I linked the images with the correct addresses.

You have some amazing sets, but before you scan all of those cards please learn the scan the cards with a dark background. To do so, just leave the scanner lid up. The scans will look a lot better!
  • Options
    Alfiewt,

Thank you for help with the scans and advice; will do in the future.

Dave C.
  • Options

Dave,

If you should ever decide to break up your fabulous set please let me know.

I am a very distant #2 on the registry.

Thanks,
    Bill
  • Options
    Dave, thanks and I will get back to you on your awsome set. Bill, your set looks great as well. I am just hoping to someday make it to 15th and I would be happy.
  • Options
    Hey All:

Rob Ruth here.

I figured I would chime in on this set as well. But it will go toward possibly helping someone, maybe.

I have worked on the set for roughly 2years now give or take.

Presently, I have approx 70% of the set done in PSA 8 & 9. Looking at my spreadsheet 70 of the cards are PSA 9's

If by chance someone here might be starting out in the set and would like to finish off what I started, I would be open to discussing selling what I have together so far. I would only really be interested in selling it as a set, I am really not interested in breaking it up.

If nothing comes of it, I guess I will keep on goingto completion.

If anyone is interested, please feel free to drop me an email.

rruth@comcast.net

Thanks
    Rob Ruth
  • Options
    Rob, if by chance you do break it up let us know............rob
  • Options
    Broke a hi # vendor from this a couple of years ago and had the best ones graded. Did OK. Have a number of 8's available for trade from that series for other 8's from that year if anyone else has a pile.
    Bill,
    Will check my list a drop you a note soon.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    Fuzz, sweet, let us know what ya got..........
  • Options
    Any new highlights for 64 Collectors'? I seen quite a few go through ebay this weekend. No new updates here as I am saving for the big one (Mantle). Let us know.....................rob
  • Options
    have few cards in psa 8 that I would be interested in trading from this set (or possibly trading for cash) if anyone is interested. All came from a vendor I broke a few years ago.
    526, 529, 536, 537, 539, 543, 544, 548, 549, 552, 555, 556, 560, 561, 562, 566, 568.
    Need many lower series cards.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    PM sent........
  • Options
    Some nice 64's on the Bay tonight. Finally got the Kaline and Brooks Robinson in 7's. Noticed that a Maris PSA 7 ST brought a good price for a card with a qualifier.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Hey...I won a Kaline 7 tonight, too. I hope the guy didn't sell the same one to both of us!

• Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a great set to me. Thanks for sharing the scans Dave.
  • Options
    SOM, I picked mine up from dreamingofyesterday. A scan wasn't included but the description was good and the seller had great feedback. I emailed him and he gladly sent the scan. I was really proud of that card and the Brooks Robinson. Did you win any others?.....................rob
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I was just teasing you, Rob. We both won terrific cards!

Mine was auction 280092881306, one of Stephen Park's listings.

Nick
  • Options
    Nick, that's cool man. Im lovin this set. My deployment has been held off for a bit so I am trying to complete as much as possible. It hard buying cards in Iraq. Anyway, mrbud60 has some 64's on the bay right now. He ships fast and is a great seller. I have one of the 8's but I may put something up on the 7.
  • Options
    Anybody got card 2, 3, 4, 6 or 7 that they would sell?
  • Options
    Hi Rob...dont have those leaders cards in doubles but posted earlier in this thread with about 85 doubles I currently have. Let me know if you can use any before they go on the bay.

Jeff
  • Options
    Jeff, have an early morning but wanted to check the boards again. Get back with you tomorrow................thanks for getting back with me...............rob
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a highlight from my most recent submission that you '64 mavens should appreciate:

• Options
    Nice All Star Vets Paleocards!! That is one solid 9!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Won my first PSA 9 tonight for the 64 set. Pretty excited. I just had to see if the 9's were really better than the 8's...................
  • Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    Set looking good Rob..............
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    I love the 64 set. Just won a Javier in 8 last night. Sold my next born today to pay for it. Need 6 cards to finish up with #3 being the tough one. Bill needs it also, so it will be a tough one to win.
  • Options
    The javier went for a lot more than I thought. You must be jonesleon on the bay. There are several good sets on the 64's..........
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    65806, Ive been watching the top 5 and Spud 64 hasn't had much action but bobaroo77 seems to be moving up very fast...........
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    Good luck to all... I will be retiring my 64 set in the next week or two. It has been a great run and I really love the set but upgrading has me buying grades and not cards so time to quit. I wanted to retire the set before the May awards so all can move up. With almost half of all the 10's and 90%+ with none higher I leave proud.

Again, best wishes to all and I look forward to seeing someone move into a new #1 position

Dave Cryer's 1964 Topps Set

Dave C
    Semper Fi
  • Options
    kadokakidkadokakid Posts: 426 ✭✭
    Dave

Congrats on a great set, one of the greatest of the 60's imo.

Time for PSA to step up and elect you to their hall of fame, without a doubt the best run of sets from 60's.

Peace

Doug
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options

Dave C

Although I am currrently #2 on the 1964 registry I confess to having mixed emotions about your retiring the great set you have assembled.

I know that no matter how good my set might someday become it will never rival the fabulous set you put together.

Also, I second the motion for you to be inducted in the PSA hall of fame.

All the best,

Bill D

P.S. I need that #3 card !!!

• Options
    Hi all,

Looking for the following three 64 topps baseball in PSA 7 or PSA 8. If you have one I would be very happy!

375 Santo

521 Satriano

556 Mets Rookies

Thanks in advance to all

Jeff
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    I just received a great looking Aaron card. It is truly one of the most beautiful cards I've seen, its vividness against a gorgeous green background makes this card special.
  • Options
    Hey...not much has gone on with this thread for some time...??

Any way...I currently need 100 of these cards to finish my set...I'm looking for PSA 9's and 10's only...if you can help me please PM me...thanks...I can do some trading as well...I have around 4-5 PSA 9's that are dupes as I've upgraded them to 10's...

Thank you in advance...

Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets