Home Sports Talk
Options

Cashman - just pay Mo his money

We can't just make the guy happy? I see the small steps in a new direction, not wanting to overpay aging guys anymore, getting rid of the dead weight like Sheff and the Unit, but does a point really need to be made with another core guy from the championship run? I hate the way the Bernie situation is/was handled, and this is ugly too. At least he made this clear. Just sign him now so we don't have to have stories like this thrown around all season. PAY MO!!

Comments

• Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Looks to me as though the Yankees are not planning on bringing him back actually.

Take it a step further, it also looks to me like the Yankees are on the cusp of heading into a semi-rebuilding mode, as they try to bring in younger players after trading away much of their farm system in recent years.

A-Rod may be out of there after this season, Rivera is probably leaving, Mussina & Pettite only have so much time left, and Posada at 36 years old is nearing the end of the road for a catcher.

The only big name regulars left after that are Jeter, who is signed through 2010, Giambi, who they'll opt out of after 2008, Matsui who is signed through 2009, as is Damon. Abreu's contract will be up after this season with a club option, but I'd say there's about a 50/50 chance at this point that they will pick it up.

Cashman knows what's going on, he's got one or two more years at most out of these guys as a whole, and then it's going to have to start over.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    This whole situation is much ado about nothing.

When was the last time anyone saw the Yankees WANT a player and get outbid for them ?

If Rivera stays healthy and has a good season he will be back in pinstripes.

Thats all there is to it. Nothing more.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Hey, didn't Johnny Damon say specifically he would "never" play for the Yankees? Yes, he absolutely did.

But, I have zero interest as a Red Sox fan in a 38 year old Mariano anyway. Bottom line is, Cashman is actually correct here. You can't pay players reward money for past performance. They should earn it, based on current performance. You think if the Yankees had a good season this year, and Rivera was part of it, that they wouldn't pay him?

I strongly agree about the Yankees entering a rebuilding type phase, starting this season. They won't let it go too long time-wise (Yankee fans are very impatient, you know), but you can see the core of that team getting a bit long in the tooth.
  • Options

<< <i>But, I have zero interest as a Red Sox fan in a 38 year old Mariano anyway. >>

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>But, I have zero interest as a Red Sox fan in a 38 year old Mariano anyway. >>

image >>

I was referring to the article that is linked in the first post - Mariano decided to tell the media that if the Yankees didn't sign him, he'd "never" play for the Red Sox.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I strongly agree about the Yankees entering a rebuilding type phase, starting this season. They won't let it go too long time-wise (Yankee fans are very impatient, you know), but you can see the core of that team getting a bit long in the tooth. >>

No, the word "rebuilding" is definately not the correct word to use. Too many of you guys are still shocked to witness the NY Yankees unload crap contracts for quality kids. You think the Yankees are rebuilding.

I can't wait to re-hash these threads in September! Just like last year! woooo hooooo image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240