Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1962 Topps Baseball Question.

I don't have many cards from this set, and haven't really read much about the 62's, but it doesn't seem like I see many cards from this year that are in NM to Mint condition. Was there an issue with the card stock or something about this year that I've never heard anyone talk about? Just curious if anyone knows?
There are two types of people in this world; those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him!!

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The brown borders show every hint of wear - making it a very tough, condition sensitive set. Check out the grades on the registry for completed 1962 sets and compare it to the list from 1961 (white borders). You will see that putting together a set of 7's is very tough. 8's are killer. There are many toughies.

Maris and Frank Robinson are very tough in 8. Snow and poor centering consistently plague many cards in this set too (like Mays). Some find it to be an ugly set, but I like it. Very challenging.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Have to echo Mike. It is a very tough set to find in NM+ condition. But when you find them, I think the cards are very sharp looking. There are lots of head shots with no caps that many don't like. (There are some ugly baseball players.) But I enjoy the challenge of finding top quality cards. Also, there are lots of variations in the cards. So the Set Registry lists the Basic set at 599 cards, but the Master set at 611 cards. And that doesn't count the "green tint" variations. And I believe the late 50's to late 60's was the Golden Age of baseball. Of course, isn't it interesting that all of us consider the Golden Age of baseball to be when we were growing up - what a coincidence.

- Jack
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike and Jack have said it very well. I personally really like the set too......of course, I was 12 when I collected it so that could have something to do with it. The toughest commons in the 1960's decade and the toughest star cards come out of this set.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Dang, you are old Don. No...wait, I was 12 that year too.....never mind
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>Of course, isn't it interesting that all of us consider the Golden Age of baseball to be when we were growing up - what a coincidence. >>

I was born in 1960 and started collecting in 1970 and even I consider the 50s and 60s the Golden Age.
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Dang, you are old Don. No...wait, I was 12 that year too.....never mind >>

Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Of course, isn't it interesting that all of us consider the Golden Age of baseball to be when we were growing up - what a coincidence. >>

I was born in 1960 and started collecting in 1970 and even I consider the 50s and 60s the Golden Age. >>

I was born in 1970 and consider the 50's and 60's the Golden Age of baseball. That's respect and appreciation for those who laid the ground work for the game we love. Thanks for the input about the 1962's. I just purchased a large lot from a friend but haven't taken possession of them yet.
    There are two types of people in this world; those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him!!
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was born in 1960 and started collecting in 1970 and even I consider the 50s and 60s the Golden Age. >>

'67 and '77 and I'm on board with the '54-'73 (roughly) era as being the acme of Baseball. Not that I don't love the time before and after, but...

The '62 set has some ugly cards, but the major players of the era (Aaron, Mays, Clemente, Frank & Brooks Robinson, Mantle, Gibson, Ford, Drysdale, Koufax and some I'm forgetting) all have gorgeous cards in that set.
  • Options
    The '62 Topps baseball set was the first I collected from opening packs -- even though I was ONLY 8 that summer ( image ). I loved the special cards, highlighted by the Manager's Dream card, the Babe Ruth subset and the World Series cards.

When I first joined PSA and sent in what I thought were my best looking '62s, I didn't get anything over a 6. I was really bummed about that! Since then I've purchased a large number of cards (mostly from Mike) and can't believe how great the cards look in PSA 7. I've also finally gotten one of my original cards graded at a 7 after subbing one of my Ruth cards -- one I bought from The Card Collector's Company for 5 cents!

Hope you enjoy your '62s!