Home Metal Detecting
Options

AGE OLD COPPER COATED ZINC CENTS QUESTION

Today, I was sorting through all of my modern US coin finds and started to seperate my rusted out copper coated zinc cents from the real pennies...prior to 1982. What the heck am I supposed to do with all of these corroded cents? Will the bank take them unrolled, corroded/rusted out? Any suggestions?

I wounder if the US Mint realizes that these coins literally corrode from the inside out!!!

Comments

• Options
    I can't speak for everyone, but I usually run them through the local Coinstar machine. Most all except the very corroded and scalloped edged ones go though. Those that don't take I usually pitch.

Gary
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I just roll them up as is and take them to the bank. They don't break open the rolls and check or anything. If the government can't make coins that hold up, then that's their problem.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    DZ,
    I work for a bank and can tell you we don't care about the condition of coins. If they're very bad we send them to the Feds to be destroyed.
    Mary
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    I tumble them with the others, toss 1 or 2 in each roll and deposit them in my bank account.

Road salt really eats um up.image
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone's input image
  • Options
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage