Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Any idea on a couple of really old worn coppers?

Hello, first post here to the world coin forum, I've been on the US coin forum and metal detector forum for a while now. Here is what I have and what I know of these two coins. They were given to me years ago by an old high school friend who rec'd them from his grandfather who had passed away (he knew I collected coins and these came in a mixed lot of old US and foreign coins). My friends grandfather had been in the US Navy in WW2 and later spent much of the 60's and early 70's in Vietnam (as a relief/aid worker). So these coins could have been picked up anywhere along the way from Northern NY to there. They are both identical diameters- 27 mm, one weighs in at 8.41 grams and the other 6.91 grams. I believe the one is probably French from what I could make out looking in the library years ago- looks like it says "UN SOU" on the one side. The other coin with the countermark (looks like a cross and the letter "J") has a bust facing left (the counter mark obliterates much of it)- cannot tell if a mans or womans head but it does appear to have had a big nose. The bust shows up better in hand than I could photograph. Thanks for any ideas in advance for what coins they could be. Here are the photos:

Comments

• Options
    dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    I know there were Un Sou tokens in the Canadian Territories in the 1800s.

I can't tell anything about the other coin...
    Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    dcamp is correct: The top one is Canadian colonial token, Montreal, bouquet sou(s) type c.1830

The 2nd one I can just make out a bust facing left. Probably a counterfeit 1/2 penny from the late 1790s early 1800s.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay