Home Metal Detecting
Options

dug a 1/2 reale and pheonix button

me and riccar met up with california legend Tom T, to hunt a mission period location. previous hunts by other hunters have produced various coins and relics over the years. you never know what to expect to find at these sites. i usually only find mission period trash. a good find could be a foot down or an inch deep. this hunt turned out to be very productive for me. both of the finds pictured were only 1 inch deep each. i dug 19 modern coins and about 20 pieces of trash.

the reale is worn at the date, but carolous IIII can be seen. this dates the coin between 1788-1808.

Comments

• Options
    Are you going back for the "other half"?

Sorry, had to say it.image
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    Nice find Digger!!!

Chicago Ron
    imageimage
  • Options
    are you sure it's not a large cent?....ha!....nice find
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Nice finds!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Nice. Did you take any pics of the shank + leather connected on the back? (need to document that interesting part of this historical find)

Also, I shrunk the pic... seemed a little big, but may just be my computer's settings...

• Options
    Congratulations guy! Those are very nice. Hope Rick was green with envy. Nothing personal Rick. image

Gary
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    AWESOME find demondigger!!!
  • Options
    <<Hope Rick was green with envy. Nothing personal Rick. image >>

None taken G-man!
    Actually I was glad for Brian... it was definitely his "turn" and what a turn it was!!!
    (of course I wouldn't have minded pulling those image but I was happy to see Brian get them image )

• Options
    Nice work DD!

Love that holed 1/2 reale!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Maybe it's just eyes playing tricks on me, but I think I can see a date in that picture. I'm thinking.. 1796?
    Bob
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Sweet finds DD!!
  • Options
    the object on the left is a button from the 1830's. at the bottom is "NO 6", which was a regimental number. the date on the reale would be othe other side, not shown. careful inspection shows the coin to be dated " 1800 ".
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTG, Brian!

It's been four years since I have coaxed any Spanish silver from the dirt.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.