Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Set Builder: 2007 Topps Series One

Hey all I broke a box of Topps with the boy this afternoon. He wants to build the set so once we get organized I will post our needs and 'tradebles'.

We are not doing the sub sets so I will have several inserts available. Plus we pulled a ton of RED BACK cards as well. No GU or AUTO's but then again how often do you get those in a regular Topps series.

Who's In?
On the Yankee Bandwagon since April 22nd, 1979 (my first game).
______
Collecting all Yankees especially:
Thurman Munson, Yogi Berra, Melky Cabrera!

For my son:
Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada

MY Baseball Card Page
My Player Collection Needs

Comments

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh no, did they do that "red back shortprint" gimmick in their REGULAR Topps set? I'm outta here...
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    man I just busted two HTA boxes, and found them great. The phots are amazing. I didn't even pull out red packs. Im going to
    go through what I have. LMK what you need. I might go for the set, going to see how close I am. That Jeter card is awesome!

Kevin
  • Options
    If you guys need some commons let me know, I opened one box yesterday. I think I picked the wrong box though, I had sold off the rest of the case and someone pulled a Mantle bat card out of one of the boxes. Oh well.

I think topps look awesome this year, gotta love the black borders and I agree the Jeter card is awesome.

Mike
  • Options
    I was excited for the black borders this year, but after seeing them live, they look like the Bowman's of last year. Kind of a bummer
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck guys!

I haven't done regular Topps since 2003.

It became to expensive with Heritage and other interests. I usually buy a few blasters for fun - if I do - I'll put out the cards for grabs.

I miss it.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I just got done sorting..this really is a nice set. A nice prelude until heritage...actually I hope heritage is this good. I could look
    at these cards for hours. I pulled a few of the copper's..including Piazza in his A's uni..nice! Golds were a bit more numerous.
    Lots of Mantle cards to look at. Autos were Hanley Rameriz and Carlos Quinten..two young studs. GU were Soriano and Tejada
    a few All Stars there....Most of the traded players are pictured in thier new teams unis...very nice. There are also some dual
    player cards which are NICE NICE NICE..I hope that topps carries that over to heritage.....I know that is what the 58 set
    was known for.

I hope I have a set, if not then I will have to make some trades. I thought the price of the HTA boxes were a bit much but I
    guess with the auto/GU hit that happens. This is nice box in time for spring training...nice job topps

Kevin
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kevin

Got a few scans?

Are the autos stickers?

thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    yeah the autos are stickers..kinda ugly, but the base set is very nice.

Kevin
  • Options
    I busted three boxes and am looking to complete a red backs set - I have base and red backs to trade, and would also be happy to do a mixed Series One/Heritage trade since I'll be breaking a case of that next week (hopefully). Please SM with needs, thanks.
  • Options
    5/17

I should be able to help you out with the reds as I don't think Im going to do that set. LMK when you have list up

Thanks
    Kevin
  • Options
    PM sent Kevin, thanks.
  • Options
    OK, broke a Rack Pack box to get the 10 card Exclusive All Star Rookie Team. Build 2 complete of those plus extras. For the money that was the best bet. 503 cards for 59. 200 more than the Retail Box at 69 and the same number as the hobby at 99 minus the AUTO and GU hit. But then I get this set for me and the boy to build. And the extra 40 can go towards some Heritage blasters ;-)

We need the following to complete the set:
    269, 244, 242, 241, 236, 234, 232, 231, 228, 226, 222, 189, 130, 109, 105, 69

We also want to do The Mickey Mantle Story:
    MMS1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

For Trade:
    Tons of regular base.
    Tons of RED BACK

GOLD: 10, 54, 217, 324

Inserts:
    Gibson HR 8, 675
    hobby masters, own the game, arod road to 500, Dis Service, mantle HR, Generation Now.

Drop a PM and let's make a deal.
    ______

For my son:

MY Baseball Card Page
  • Options
    PS The cards are AWESOME. We love them a lot better than 2006 set. Love the black border, nice design and the photoshop of the new uniforms is fantastic!!

Drop the big sub sets and make more like the Mantle story and Service (which we might do) and this would be a 5 start product. Other than that we are VERY happy with this years Topps!
    ______

For my son:

MY Baseball Card Page
  • Options
    PM sent Munson, thanks.
  • Options
    This is very good to hear. I am a very basic collector and ONLY collect base Topps sets such as their regular series issues and the Updates/Traded sets they make every year. I've been trying to amass a collection of complete sets from my year of birth (1980) through the present. As of right now, if I win an E-Bay auction for a 2002 Topps Traded Set I will have that collection complete. I've even been able to get some of the nice parallel sets complete as well such as the 1992 Gold and Gold Winner, the 1992 Traded Gold, the 1993 Gold and Black Gold, the 2006 Mantle Collection and a few others. I like hearing that the 2007 Topps sets are visually appealing. Makes me happy to know that I'll be adding them to my collection.

I just need to complete my Bonds Race to 70 (2002 Topps), McGwire/Sosa HR Chase (1999 Topps) and a few other insert sets to really have my collection complete.
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Yup, I have to agree with all that's been said. I opened up one HTA box and complete, to the last card, the base set with 100 of the red backs. That and 1 copper, 1 auto and 1 GU. I really have to say "well done" to Topps for the collation and the presentation. I originally thought the colored sqaures looked a bit silly, but the all black is good and gives the cards a bit more, I don't know, "depth"? The photos are really nice. Normally, I buy at the end of the year, but was interested to see what they looked like and will probably pay, after dumping the autos and GU's and inserts, what I would, if the collation holds with Series 2, for the entire set at the end of the year. Agreed, Kevin, Topps did it right so far with this product, in opposition to the disaster that was Bowman Heritage.

Kurt
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    Anyone want these? Bought two packs to follow tradition:

Gibson Homer #792 JG101
    Mantle Homer #222 MHR222
    Ted Williams .431 TW14

$1.50 via paypal to cover shipping and fees will get them.

Email me!

Thanks,
    Kyle
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    I plan to build the set slowly. Last year I bought 5-10 packs per week from the two local dealers who carry the new releases. It was a lot of fun. It also got me into the shops frequently. I got some good deals on others cards that the owners had recently picked up. I put a significant dent into my 1961 set last year at the same time.

I am getting my 2007 Heritage through one of the same dealers.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    One thing is for sure - these cards are far, far more condition sensitive that the past few years of Topps. For player sets, these are going to be tough in 10 to find...
  • Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One thing is for sure - these cards are far, far more condition sensitive that the past few years of Topps. For player sets, these are going to be tough in 10 to find... >>

I happen to be building the '71 "Black Beauty" set, and am making 2007 my first "modern" set due to my favorite sportsteam, the St. Louis Cardinals, winning the whole shabang last year.

The 2007 and 1971 share the same fragile black borders. I was even nervous pulling them out of the pack and slipping them into the penny sleeves.

While this set is truly easy on the eyes - the way a high-grade '71 set is - it is a bit nerve wracking to handle.
  • Options
    I went through my three boxes for some cards to submit for the March special and managed to find 4 that look like 9s but may have an outside shot at 10s - and that was it...