Home Sports Talk
Options

College Mascots

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well it seems that Chief Illiniwek has been retired... perhaps Illinois should just consider a new identity and just break from Fighting Illini.

In this age of political correctness, perhaps a name change to the Diplomatic Lincolns should be considered... and if that is too correct, there is always the Hot Rod Lincolns and Illinois Loyalty can be laid to rest simultaneously in favor of Hot Rod Lincoln.

Sorry... but seems that the NCAA just may have too much time on their hands.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the Indian mascots, my favorite is FSU's. I could care less who takes offense to it, IMO it is a compliment to the true Americans.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

How about the Illinois Athletes. No, that could offend athletically challenged people.
    How about the Illinois Persons. No, PETA might infer that as a celebration of superiority over lower species.

I've got it!

The Illinois Spiritual Creatures ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    The NCAA (and the academic elite) seriously needs to get a life and stop calling everything they see "racist" or "divisive". In fact, didn't the NCAA try to outlaw the Seminoes mascot at Florida State, until they found out the real Seminoes (the actual tribe) generally considered it to be an honor to be representing Florida State athletics?

And the same goes for those fans who wish to fly a Confederate flag at say, Old Miss games and such. This is the United States of America; whatever happened to freedom of speech?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    I shouldn't have to worry about the best mascot being removed for some time..

• Options

<< <i>I shouldn't have to worry about the best mascot being removed for some time..

image >>

He is cool no doubt, I gotta say my all-time favorite mascots are the Milwaukee Brewers sausage guys image
  • Options
    Volver......that image is very offensive to me. I have a nut allergy! I'm getting on the phone right now with the NCAA and have them get rid of the Ohio State mascot.
  • Options
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, I have given some thought to what will ultimately happen at the U of M... after the Wolverines present their case to the NCAA as it stereotyping Wolverines as... well... whatever they choose to find stereotyping.

How about the Michigan V-8 Fords? Doesn't that have a great sound to it or will the environmentalists complain too much?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>I shouldn't have to worry about the best mascot being removed for some time..

image >>

OSU has fumunda cheese under their nuts image
  • Options
    I find that Notre Dame mascot offensive!!! I'm part Irish and that little stinkin' leprechaun is a disgrace to my national heritage!!!!!!

<< <i>I've got it! >>

<< <i>The Illinois Spiritual Creatures ... >>

Wolf.......you might have the atheists on your ass with that one, better reconsider.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The Illinois Spiritual Creatures ... >>

Wolf.......you might have the atheists on your ass with that one, better reconsider. >>

You are correct interchanges.
    Also, the word 'creatures' might be offensive to plants. My bad.

How about The Illinois Beings?

Pix of 'My Kids'

• Options
    You guys are a big disgrace to all the people that spent time and effort into the thoughts of designing college mascots. Im going to contact my attorney.
  • Options

<< <i>BTW, I have given some thought to what will ultimately happen at the U of M... after the Wolverines present their case to the NCAA as it stereotyping Wolverines as... well... whatever they choose to find stereotyping.

How about the Michigan V-8 Fords? Doesn't that have a great sound to it or will the environmentalists complain too much? >>

For a season or two Michigan had a "Wally the Wolverine" mascot leading cheers along the sideline of games but the football coach
    didn't like it and he was never popular with the fans as well. I believe it was the brainchild of a student who wanted to give it a
    try so they let him do it for a short time. Does anyone have a picture of what Wally the woverine looked like?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>BTW, I have given some thought to what will ultimately happen at the U of M... after the Wolverines present their case to the NCAA as it stereotyping Wolverines as... well... whatever they choose to find stereotyping.

How about the Michigan V-8 Fords? Doesn't that have a great sound to it or will the environmentalists complain too much? >>

For a season or two Michigan had a "Wally the Wolverine" mascot leading cheers along the sideline of games but the football coach
    didn't like it and he was never popular with the fans as well. I believe it was the brainchild of a student who wanted to give it a
    try so they let him do it for a short time. Does anyone have a picture of what Wally the woverine looked like? >>

Isn't this him? Of course he has no time for costumes now. Although if Giselle asked I'd dress up in a hairy rodent suit!
  • Options

<< <i> Does anyone have a picture of what Wally the woverine looked like? >>

Pix of 'My Kids'

• Options
    I believe the state motto for Illinois is "Land of Lincoln" so why not the "Illinois Lincolns"?

They could have someone dressed up in the black suit, hat and beard roaming the sidelines. I'm not sure if he should dance or
    lead cheers however, might not be dignified for a president. image
  • Options
    First let me state that I love the West Virginia Mountaineer! This guy fires that musket at football and basketball games which must be incredibly loud at an indoor facility. In the world we live in, I can't believe some idiot hasn't tried to stop the musket carrying Mountaineer!
    There are two types of people in this world; those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him!!
  • Options
    The NCAA (and the academic elite) seriously needs to get a life and stop calling everything they see "racist" or "divisive". In fact, didn't the NCAA try to outlaw the Seminoes mascot at Florida State, until they found out the real Seminoes (the actual tribe) generally considered it to be an honor to be representing Florida State athletics?

And the same goes for those fans who wish to fly a Confederate flag at say, Old Miss games and such. This is the United States of America; whatever happened to freedom of speech?

1 - I like how so many "Americans" stand up for the rights of the make-believe Indian but not the real ones.
    2 - As for whatever happened to freedom of speech - I bet the Native Americans have been asking that same question for quite a while

While it's true that some (if not most) Florida Native Americans like the Seminole mascot, I'm sure the "Redskins" tag might not be so favored.... but don't mess with our football.

Some nicknames have been destorted like the Braves - the original concept for the Braves was a team from Boston that played on Braves Field ( a reference to the days of the Revolution) but come on the "Redskins"??

How would this country react to naming sport teams like:

The Alabama Trialer Park Trashers (University of Alabama)
    The Harlem Black Skins (The New York Yankees)
    The NYC Bargaining Jews (The New York Rangers)
    The San Francisco Sword Swallers (The 49ers)
    The Miami Inner Tube Rafters (Florida Marlins)
    The Chicago Nazis (Da Bears)
    The Minnesota Pollacks (the Twins)
    The Hollywood Trannies (USC)

etc....

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi
  • Options
    Dan Snyder says he has no intention of changing the "Redskins" to any other name. I suspect he won't unless the NFL decides to
    put a lot of pressure on him but I see no indication they are going to do that.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was some team in some sport (I'm old, I don't remember things so good) composed of Native Americans a few years back that called themselves the "Fightin' Whities" (or something similar). Their intent was to protest some other local team called the "Fightin' Reds" (or something similar). Like all white people everywhere, it cracked me up. I think there were more orders for "Fightin' Whities" T-shirts than they could possibly produce and they found some other way to be publicly offended.

Point of the story? I don't know. But whoever you are and wherever you are and whatever anyone else around you is saying or doing, I do not care if you are offended. Not the tiniest little bit. And it's really rather childish of you to expect me to be.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

<< <i>Dan Snyder says he has no intention of changing the "Redskins" to any other name. I suspect he won't unless the NFL decides to
    put a lot of pressure on him but I see no indication they are going to do that. >>

GOOD
  • Options

<< <i>Point of the story? I don't know. But whoever you are and wherever you are and whatever anyone else around you is saying or doing, I do not care if you are offended. Not the tiniest little bit. And it's really rather childish of you to expect me to be. >>

I could not agree more, lets just say that it will be a great day when things like college mascots are not focused on as racial or politicaly incorect symbols.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    The question is not who is the best mascot, but who is the second best mascot.

So what else is new?

• Options
    Native American nicknames don't offend me. I'm not a Native American. If a Native American tells me the nicknames are offensive, I take their word for it. What else can I go by?

Do I lose sleep because Washington goes by the Redskins, Atlanta goes by the Braves or St. John's changed their name to the Red Storm? Not one bit.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There was some team in some sport (I'm old, I don't remember things so good) composed of Native Americans a few years back that called themselves the "Fightin' Whities" (or something similar). Their intent was to protest some other local team called the "Fightin' Reds" (or something similar). Like all white people everywhere, it cracked me up. I think there were more orders for "Fightin' Whities" T-shirts than they could possibly produce and they found some other way to be publicly offended.

Point of the story? I don't know. But whoever you are and wherever you are and whatever anyone else around you is saying or doing, I do not care if you are offended. Not the tiniest little bit. And it's really rather childish of you to expect me to be. >>

Indeed, in response to the Fightin' Whities team, talk show host Rush Limbaugh (yes, I happen to be a dittohead) offered a white T-shirt with Rush's face in light blue with the words "Go Fightin' Righties!" image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars