Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help with SGC Holders

Hi!

I know this is the PSA forum, but all the experts are here! image

Anyway, I just clicked on a BIN on ebay for a 1921 Schapiro Brothers set and THEN looked more closely at the holders, which show the Sports Guarantee logo. Are these old holders? Real holders?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks,

John

Ebay Auction
Wondo

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John:

They are both real and old; I used them back when grading was just taking off - I liked the holders. But, many will tell you that those early holders indicate the easier grading that was often the case in the early days (much like the old PSA certs that began with zero (until recently). As such, they don't sell quite as well.

edit: nice pickup - they look like sharp Ruths.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Yes, those were the first labels used when they first came out.
    They're legit.
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys.

Even with a potentially more lax grading standard, I am ecstatic with the buy! That was part of the buy now, look later problem. image
    Wondo

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Be careful with those- I had a few SG holders that I tried to cross, and they came back trimmed. So I cracked them and the same thing happened. Upon close inspection they were definitely trimmed.
    Keith Olbermans article "Slab This" in VCBC is a must read. Here's the background on the story.
    Merkel's boner

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Griffins,

Thanks for the word of caution. Hopefully I will have the cards in time for the ESPCC show here in Reading next week. I'll talk to the SGC and PSA guys there as well as the "old-timers". Trimming isn't a big issue here as these are hand cut - just want to make sure they are real.

John
    Wondo

• Options
    Beautiful cards in a beautiful holder, graded by the best!

Great purchase!
  • Options
    "It appears (Rosen) is interested in profiting from the situation. I think that's wrong," said Eichenbaum

Gee, You mean Mr. Mint was trying to profit from a situation ? Unbelieveable !

• Options
    Alan's middle name is profit.