Home Sports Talk
Options

Corey Dillon: HOF?

AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
With news of Corey Dillon being bought out by the Patriots, and likely retiring, perhaps now is a good time to consider if he will be a HOFer or not?

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1681 career stats

Over 11,000 rushing yards, 7 1000 yard seasons, began his career with an impressive streak of 6 seasons over 1100 yards, one super bowl ring (04 Patriots). Not a lot of hype because he played with the Bengals for the majority of his career.

Discuss!

John
Collecting
HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

Comments

• Options
    he abonded my team and did nothing but complain while he was here..the stats say he prolly should be but i hope the punk gets screwed..lol image

even tho he did run wild while he was here...won the very few games we did win for us...

almo
    life's a garden baby, dig it!
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Initial reaction...no. He put up impressive numbers on some very bad teams, but IMO just doesn't qualify. The same for Tiki Barber...
  • Options
    I do not think he is HOF worthy...he never carried a team and was never the focal point of a good offense on a good team. Good player, great at times, but hardly HOF stuff
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think he will retire, he is still capable of playing a decent role, IE: a short yardage or goaline runner. As far as HOF goes I dont see it happening especially with a number of backs in the league now raising the bar as far as TD and yardage totals go.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Borderline, don't think he gets in with the numbers he has right now, and his playing time is diminishing. Barber gets in before Dillon, IMO.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    First post on the Sports Forum....I'd love to see Dillon in a Steelers uniform. Not a HOF'er yet.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd love to see Dillon in a Steelers uniform. >>

That is one hell of an idea. I'd love to see him there too. They need a back like him and he needs a team.

Also, if I remember correctly, didn't he break the rookie rushing single game record and then the all time single game rushing record? That should count for something. I think he's borderline HOF right now.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Nope..He's not a HOF at this point...Personally I think he would need 14,000 to get in on his stats alone..He was a very good back but not HOF caliber..I'd put Ricky Watters in over Dillon and Watters can't even make the semi-finals...

Your future HOF RBs as of right now are Emmitt Smith, Marshall Faulk, Jerome Bettis, and Curtis Martin...Thats it..

I don't think Tiki will ever get in either..He wasn't dominant long enough...
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>Nope..He's not a HOF at this point...Personally I think he would need 14,000 to get in on his stats alone..He was a very good back but not HOF caliber..I'd put Ricky Watters in over Dillon and Watters can't even make the semi-finals...

Your future HOF RBs as of right now are Emmitt Smith, Marshall Faulk, Jerome Bettis, and Curtis Martin...Thats it..

I don't think Tiki will ever get in either..He wasn't dominant long enough... >>

JasP,
    What other players do you foresee 'on the bubble', or 'dead locks', the year Bettis is up for eligibility?
  • Options

<< <i>

That is one hell of an idea. I'd love to see him there too. They need a back like him and he needs a team.

Also, if I remember correctly, didn't he break the rookie rushing single game record and then the all time single game rushing record? That should count for something. I think he's borderline HOF right now. >>

Dillon did own the single game record (278 yards) but Jamal Lewis broke it (295 yards)

I could see Dillon in a Steelers uniform, he would compliment Willie Parker nicely, like I said a decent short yardage/goaline back, why not?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Also, if I remember correctly, didn't he break the rookie rushing single game record and then the all time single game rushing record? That should count for something. I think he's borderline HOF right now. >>

Dillon did own the single game record (278 yards) but Jamal Lewis broke it (295 yards)

I could see Dillon in a Steelers uniform, he would compliment Willie Parker nicely, like I said a decent short yardage/goaline back, why not? >>

Dillon also broke the rookie record in '97, I believe. I wouldn't mind seeing him line up in short yardage for the Steelers...
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Numbers alone, he's borderline. Add on a Superbowl ring as part of what may be the best of the Patriots teams their historic run, I'd say he's in. Maybe not immediately, but he'll get in.
  • Options

<< <i>

JasP,
    What other players do you foresee 'on the bubble', or 'dead locks', the year Bettis is up for eligibility? >>

Bettis will be eligible in 2011, along with Deion Sanders, Willie Roaf and Jimmy Smith...I think Deion and Roaf will go in above Bettis...So while I have him for being a lock to eventually get in, I'm not sure he will get in first ballot. Deion and Roaf should both be first ballot in 2011.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>Numbers alone, he's borderline. Add on a Superbowl ring as part of what may be the best of the Patriots teams their historic run, I'd say he's in. Maybe not immediately, but he'll get in. >>

Brain, do you think Dillon gets in before Ricky Watters?

Compare the two:

Watters--10,643 rush yds, 4,248 receiving yds, 91 TDs, 5 Pro Bowls, 0 First Team All-Pro selections, 1 Super Bowl Ring

Dillon--11,241 rush yds, 1,913 receiving yds, 89 TDs, 4 Pro Bowls, 0 First Team All-Pro selection, 1 Super Bowl ring

Watters averaged 73.91 rush and 29.50 yards receiving PER GAME over his career. Dillon has averaged 74.94 rush and 12.75 receiving PER GAME over his career. Very similar IMO and Watters can't crack the top 25 semi-finalists...

Unless Dillon can accumulate 14,000+ OR put in one more dominant, pro bowl type season I'd day he has no chance...

I would put Terrell Davis in before both of these guys...

Jason
  • Options
    Terrell Davis? Lets not get carried away here...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

JasP,
    What other players do you foresee 'on the bubble', or 'dead locks', the year Bettis is up for eligibility? >>

Bettis will be eligible in 2011, along with Deion Sanders, Willie Roaf and Jimmy Smith...I think Deion and Roaf will go in above Bettis...So while I have him for being a lock to eventually get in, I'm not sure he will get in first ballot. Deion and Roaf should both be first ballot in 2011.

Jason >>

The only thing for Bettis if he doesn't get in relatively quick would be having to compete against Curtis Martin (very similar careers, but Bettis won a ring) and Marshall Faulk (a lock it would seem)...
  • Options

<< <i>Terrell Davis? Lets not get carried away here... >>

TD was far more dominant than Dillon or Watters...He just didnt play as long...Watters and TD were both nominated this year...TD made the cut to 25, while Watters did not..Seems I'm not the only one who feels he is more deserving...The HOF voters felt the same..Here the list of 2007 semifinalists:

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/release.jsp?release_id=2246
  • Options
    TD was as dominant as could be, just for a short time. If (it's a big if, I know) he didn't get hurt, I think he would be in the Top 5 rushers of all time right now.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree about TD. But his career was just too short to merit HOF induction IMO. He's amazingly close though for a guy who only played for such a short time.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    Sayers only played for a short time and he is a lock HOFer... I imagine if we compare him and TD the results are similar...

Davis in his first 4 years was 9th, 2nd, 2nd, and 1st in the league in rushing yarsd... over 2000 yards in 1998... 3x pro bowler..

Sayers was 2nd, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 1st in rushing yards in the league in his first 5 years... 4x pro bowler..

Davis has about 3000 yards on Sayers but that doesn't mean as much since they are from different eras IMO.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Dillon played on some of the worst teams in NFL history while in Cincinnati. I remember a stretch of years where he was the only bright spot on some very pathetic teams. He never had blocking and was the only offensive weapon for defenses to stop. At the end of his tenure in Cincy, he did show his frustrations with Mike Brown and the other clowns who weren't committed to winning. I say he gets in for the numbers he put up while playing for the worst professional franchise of the 90's!

There are two types of people in this world; those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him!!
  • Options
    Corey Dillon = Ottis Anderson???
  • Options

<< <i>TD was as dominant as could be, just for a short time. If (it's a big if, I know) he didn't get hurt, I think he would be in the Top 5 rushers of all time right now. >>

I dont think its that much of a crazy thought at all for TD to be in the top 5 if he was still playing, he got hurt at the height of the Bronco's famous rushing system, I bet he had several more 1600-2000 yard seasons in him.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    there are many people in the HOF that couldn't hold a candle to Terrell Davis, gotta agree with jasp on this one. Dillon in my opinion is/was very good, at times great, but not a true Hall of Fame player.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    sanders=HOF
    smith=HOF
    dillion cant carry eithers jock.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>there are many people in the HOF that couldn't hold a candle to Terrell Davis, gotta agree with jasp on this one. Dillon in my opinion is/was very good, at times great, but not a true Hall of Fame player. >>

There are also those that think TD's monsterous seasons were due to the Bronco's "system" I'm not saying I agree or disagree but think about the backs that followed right after Davis got hurt, his backup 1300+ yds, next year Rookie Mike Anderson 1500+ yds, next year Rookie Clinton Portis 1500 + yds...see a pattern there? Im not taking away anything from TD just pointing out a different angle.

As far as Dillon goes he was pretty consistent, you could count on him for 1200+ yds and 9 TD's every year but now the bar is raised with L.T, L.J, Alexander, smashing records at will, Dillon not being in their category will not get in.