Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

THE INFAMOUS 1996 STUDIO SILVER PROOFS LOVER POST!!

Hi, guys, Anybody collecting the 1996 Studio Silver Proof 1 of 100 made Cards?
Anybody know how they were distributed?
I read they only came in Magazines. Is this true? (P.S. no jokes please about 'magazines' and 'came', please.)

Comments

• Options
    It would be strange for any magazine to have a print of only 100.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    GET THESE NOW!!!! Before the market is cornered!
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

<< <i>
    I read they only came in Magazines. Is this true? (P.S. no jokes please about 'magazines' and 'came', please.)
    >>

Um, I think you made the only "joke" already. Not sure anyone else would have jumped on that one.
  • Options
    I always make the only joke here. read my posts!
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I always make the only joke here. read my posts! >>

• Options
    I mean I don't always rely on one joke.

Like the whole Blue Oyster Cult Saturday Night Live skit from the 1990's.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I mean I don't always rely on one joke.

Like the whole Blue Oyster Cult Saturday Night Live skit from the 1990's. >>

Listen yoda, if your gonna run your mouth / fingers at least get your facts correct. The skit was'nt from the 90's.

The only thing I find remotely funny about you is your bright idea about cornering the market on a dope-head wanna be baseball player.
  • Options

<< <i>I mean I don't always rely on one joke.

>>

You are the one joke
  • Options
    Kind of like being a republican in a mass-of-two-sh!ts.
  • Options
    The twilight Zone was Great!!

I always get this urge to Pound on my Hand and make people into Jack-in-the-Boxes like that one Kid from that one episode!!
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    mcgwire was a steroid=head...

just to clarify.

i burn trees.

julen

ps: this thread is weird

pss: what he said
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i burn trees. >>

word is bond.
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    I'll get you all!!!image

• Options
    The 1996 Studio pack that the silver press proofs were supposed to be inserted into were called magazine packs. I've never seen one but I think that they were regular looking packs either distributed to specialty retail outlets or might have been some kind of jumbo or rack pack.

Here's the tall tail. Back in 2001 I was emailing back and forth with someone very familiar with the hobby and of Donruss/Leaf/Pinnacle/Playoff in particular as well as the company's demise in 1998. He tells me that a dealer he knew back in 1996 got a ton of these Magazine cases, like a dozen or two. Opened up the whole mess and didn't get a single silver proof out of like 20 cases. So this dealer contacts Donruss with like, what the heck guys? and they send him a brick of silver proofs to make up for it. The impression was that Donruss was holding these cards back and not inserting them into the packs for some reason. However, unlike other parallels and inserts from the time, none of these silver proofs flooded into the market in bulk after the company went under (1997 Score White Bordered Artist's Proofs and 1998 Pinnacle X-Press metal cards come to mind).

You should rename this thread The Infamous 1996 Studio Silver Proofs Haters Post, because everyone hates these damn cards, they are on all of the player collector's wantlists. Just do a Yahoo or Google search on them and I'll bet you get 5 pages of player collector wantlists and checklists. When I was collecting Albert Belle it took me until 2003 or 2004 to finally get one. A true modern rarity, commons and washed-up has-been crappy minor stars will run $10-20, if you can get them cheaper consider it a steal.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll get you all!!!image

image >>

Billy Mummy of Lost in Space fame!!
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Just to back up what Brumbach posted, Magazine packs as designated such because they are retail packs that are distributed primarily to outlets along with magazines. I bought some football magazine packs at Borders in the mid-90's, for example. I don't know anything about this specific parallel, but in football some of the magazine parallels are pretty tough (and can be tough to tell apart from other parallels).

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    I know I'm right! Which Is why I bought the last ones on EBAY!

Think I paid 80 dollars and the PSA grading fee for my mcgwire for nothing?

Why am I the only one bringing up these "rarities" here?
    Dont' worry

Other proofs that posted up recently on ebay, will go too!!

And so will the ones on Beckett.com

You will never see another one again...because I am crazy my rare 90's inserts.

Additionally, these do come up, but alot of collectors are cheap sheep and don't want to spend money to invest in the future.

I believe that the rarest cards of all will be the Checklists cards that no body would ever want!!

• Options
    So you guys knowledgeable about these cards must really like my PSA graded Mcgwire then? Please say yes.

Danger Will Robinson ---Danger!
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Yoda , I believe you may have inadvertingly stumbled or staggered on your one "true " calling or purpose in life. Why don'y you try to "corner" the market on these ultra " super " nobody know they are that rare "CHECKLISTS". That way if you have all of them , get them graded , then you can pontificate and proclaim to the world that you have them and will never sell. Stick them next to the johnny or bathroom mirror and pretend just like you do with the McGwire refractors , thats its really you that you see in that image and not the real image. Its all about pretending. Remember when reality is just too tough to get up and face, pretending is the way to go.

Now get out there and do something important for the world and corner them markets. Just think of the legacy. Just think of the greater good. Kinda like the people that go out and try to set the world record for hopping up and down on a pogo stick. The world , only then will truely care and be amazed. Go for it, its your calling!!!
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Here we go, finally got some tight azz 1996 Studio Silver Proofs!!

They were actually delivered to me by UPS.

For those of you from Britain, UPS is one of a few Mail carriers here in the "Former Colonies."

The UPS Stands for Your Postal Center!..Or something like that

Anyways, Here is my first pic.

It's the Checklist card from the set!!

Only 100 were made, and because kids bought the packs for these cards and put them in their Bicycle spokes, this Checklist card is rare.

Also, alot of the same bratty, spoiled kids would chuck the checklist card or stupidly mark off the players they have.
    l
    For those in Britain, the word Chuck means to "Beget a cylindrical recyptacle with a rogering of rubbish." In case you weren't sure.

So the front: (oooohs and aaahhhh's abound. yes, i know) and....

and the exquisite reverse.... oh my:
    Is this one ready for the "Johnny" or what? Whatever that means?
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i like jgarci..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    When I was in grade school UPS stood for Underwear and Pantyhose Salesman.

I don't think that I've ever seen anyone that happy over a checklist card before. Although, there are a select few rapid player collector's that will collect the checklists with the name of their favorite player on it. I'm happy I got over that phase of collecting, except for the autographed Albert Belle cereal box left to remind of me of my former disease and madness.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>because I am crazy >>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Could be even more sought after than the '63 Fleer baseball checklist!
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement brett!!

You know george Brett I have liked George Brett for a Super long time!
    I have a good friend that lives in El Segundo, CA whose family used to baby-sit George Brett!
    She was younger than him but said she knew that he would be a star because he was extremely athletic and "cute."
  • Options
    I think one silver proof 96 is up on ebay. only 1!
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    I think I will respond to this post

What
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com