Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Interesting auction/seller

I was reading about this auction, of course the normal red flags are there with this seller. No paypal, poor scans/pictures, low feedback, high dollar stuff., more than likely a scam.

Auction 1

then I see he listed the same auction again.

2nd auction

He has 2 identical auctions running at the same time. Well if that is not a clue to someone!!!!

Make you kind of wonder????????????????

Comments

• Options
    Even funnier is the upside down Mantle that was copied from another eBay auction. The camera logo in the bottom right corner of the scan is also in the upper left corner. What a tool! LOL! image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    More proof that EBAY does not care how many scamsters
    use the venue.

Delays in listings being indexed and appearing in search
    are now as long as 8-hours. That is more than enough
    time for T&S - and/or EBAY's keyword-buster - to assure
    that listings like this NEVER slip through.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Not sure if the pic is copied, my pics have the camera logo too. I like how the seller spelled "hole" in the title. Has a bid of $500.00
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    You guys are wrong. I'm bidding. How can I pass up a collection of Willie Mayes, Yogi Barra and Mickey Mantel cards? In fact, I think I'll buy both collections.

Lee
  • Options
    OH YES,

Oh course in his ad he says this:::

"i gurantee these cards are 100% autentic "

Well that would make me sleep better a night if I won
  • Options
    "You guys are wrong. I'm bidding. How can I pass up a collection of Willie Mayes,
    Yogi Barra and Mickey Mantel cards? In fact, I think I'll buy both collections."

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The seller's prophetic warning............................

"THE BEST OF LUCK TO THE HIGH BIDDER."

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>AND I MEAN MY HOLE COLLECTION >>

And that's where one's money's goin' if ya send it to him.

Down a deep dark hole!

Mike
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    perhaps this item could help him with the spelling in his auction.

Sing it again Tammy!
  • Options
    honestly, this stuff is happening all the time. I don't think ebay has the infrastructure to stop it. the expense would be prohibitive.

eBay new listings totaled a record 575.4 million in Q1-06, 33% higher than the 431.8 million new listings reported in Q1-05.

I'm sure they do some level of review of new auctions but how can they track 500M++ each quarter? They would need an army of investigators. Guess it's up to us? image
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sure they do some level of review of new auctions but how can they track 500M++ each quarter? They would need an army of investigators. Guess it's up to us? image >>

I was just gonna say that we have to self police the card listings.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    They should offer awards to people who report bogus listings. The awards don't have to be huge, but it won't matter-- just look at all the people who spend 200 hours a month 'stocking' their Ebay stores and grossing less than $300. Just make every new seller pay a 2$ fee to Ebay, and then Ebay could offer $.50 as a reward for every scam auction that's reported. If someone runs more than 4 scam auctions then their $2 runs out and their shown the door. If they ran a program like this I can all but guarantee the problem would be eliminated within 3 months.
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    WOW! One L@@K at that guy's hole collection of card's i's all I need to no he i's top's. Tho'se card's are s'uper.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    "I don't think ebay has the infrastructure to stop it. the expense would be prohibitive."

////////////////////////////////////////

In some categories, EVERY item is looked at by T&S before it is even indexed
    onto a scerver. In some categories, every item is run through a keyword search
    that stalls indexing, notifies T&S, and has to be manually released by T&S for
    indexing.

In ALL categories, ALL items are run through a keyword search that notifies the
    lister of special conditions and potential problems before the "submit listing"
    button is clicked.

The ability to look at EVERY listing - all 2-billion+ a year - exists within the current
    infrastructure; the will to employ that ability is all that is missing. The expense
    involved does not vest in the process of identifying fraudulent listings, it is
    rendered when EBAY rejects too many fraudulent listings and revenues from
    such scams are lost.

As many as HALF of some VERO-policed-category listings are rejected before
    they are indexed and appear in search. The same scheme(s) can be easily adapted
    to any category.

Additionally, the mere use of mandatory ID-verification (VeriSign) would kill most
    fraud before it got started. It is simply not in EBAY's financial interest to stop fraud.

"In EBAYland, EBAY's work must truely be out own."

• Options
    storm888.....I don't know what kind of software they use, and I am sure it is sophisticated, but I am very skeptical that it has the sophistication to detect more than a fraction of the scams out there. Keyword searches are fine, but like spam filter software, it is easy to eventually break through. I just do not believe ebay or any company with this number of unique transactions, given the fact that they do NOT have control over the supply chain (as does say, Walmart), they can adequately police this to the extent you believe. You are probably aware of the Tiffany lawsuit. EBAY contends they have no responsibility for the fakes because it is nothing more than a marketplace that links buyers and sellers.

"Legally there seems to be no question that eBay must remove a known fake from its site. It regularly does so, acting on the word of the manufacturer of the goods in question. It also pursues recidivists, sometimes bringing court action. But it does not screen auctions for counterfeits, leaving that to manufacturers.

Trademark law bans auctioneers, flea market organizers and others from knowingly facilitating the sale of counterfeits. But there is little case law that bears on the specific issue of who should monitor the goods sold on Internet auction sales to learn whether they are counterfeits: eBay or brand name manufacturers.

Although Tiffany is apparently the only company to sue over the issue, it is not the only one that has had problems."

The long and the short of it is they have bigger fish to fry than baseball cards and arguably, they have minimal exposure legally even if the fakes hit the market. They certainly are not going to sue them all, or even a small fraction of them. The long and the short of it is that we have to do most of this to protect our own members because ebay won't and does not really have to unless they KNOW something is fake. That would be tough to prove.

And, it ain't good news for you and I if Tiffany wins because as much as you believe they have the sophistiaction and software to monitor and detect 100% of the fakes/counterfeits out there, it just is not anywhere close to the truth. That level of software sophistication does not exist. "If Tiffany wins, other lawsuits would follow and eBay's business model would be threatened because it would be nearly impossible for the company to police a site that has 180 million members and 60 million items for sale at any time." Of course, it would be great news for the corner hobby shop.

Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    "But it does not screen auctions for counterfeits, leaving that to manufacturers. "

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Most of my EBAY biz is in very high-end fashion. I have partners
    in these endeavors, as the products do not interest me.

Under the current scheme, ALL high-end handbag listings are
    put on a server that allows password entry by VERO-reps who can
    look at the listings before they are indexed. If no VERO-pull message
    is sent to T&S within 6 to 12 hours (time varies), the items are
    indexed and appear in search.

All such listings are keyword spotted. They are NOT category spotted.
    We know this because, for example: If you list a set of pots and pans
    in a designer-handbag category by brand, the miscategorized item will
    appear very quickly in search. Title and body-copy of the listings are
    the triggers.

The same route could be taken on all listings. That would delay listings,
    raise some costs, and deprive EBAY of profits on most fraudulent
    listings.

My former PS representative now works in T&S. She is an EBAY-hater,
    and assures me that EBAY could do the right thing, if they wanted to.

When we run ads in the newspaper, there is a delay between the
    time we submit the listing and its appearance. I would not have any
    problem with such a delay on EBAY, if it was for the purpose of stopping
    fraudsters.

• Options
    storm....I hear you. I would love to see this crap go away. I am not an ebay hater but I would loke to see them implement a better system. The place to start is the feedback system!! The Tiffany counterfeiters all had stellar feedback and we all know why.

In the case of the high end handbags, jewelry etc., the reason ebay implemented this is because they were sued by Tiffany and don't want Gucci et all to join the bandwagon. These companies sued ebay because they have a lot at stake. The fakes not only take business away from them, they drive down the prices of the real stuff. Hence the Vero-reps.

Now, it is not as easy to draw a parallel between selling fake items where the intellectual/trademark rights are owned by a multinational corporation with incredibly deep pockets and the baseball card market where the trademark, IP and copyrights are owned by much smaller entities who don't seem to be all that bent out of shape about these copyright infringements. Tiffany sued ebay. Gucci and others were not far behind. The intellectual property rights issues are far more obscure and cloudy for baseball cards etc, making it less likely ebay would do anything more than they do now. MLB, MLBPA, Topps etc. don't seem to be putting any pressure at all on ebay. That would be the only thing that would get their attention in my opinion. I don't think it will happen and I don't envision a room (extremely large room) full of employees with the expertise to judge whether a card is real or fake, trimmed or not trimmed. It's hard enough finding good people to grade cards where they have the darn things right in front of them much less taking a stab at whether something is authentic looking at a crappy picture of it.

At the end of the day, it would be far better to have ebay allow us to warn potential victims than have them do it themselves. But, as you told me a couple of days ago, that is not allowed. Too bad.
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• Options
    Folks interested in the VERO scheme can get started
    with this pretty good primer. The legal advice on the
    site that is offered by non-lawyers is mostly wrong,
    but the controversies that spring from the program
    are enlightening.

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/trademarks.html

MLB can VERO an EBAY item, but they usually only do so for closely-held
    IP. If an item has been licensed to a third-party, MLB seldom
    helps that party protect the value of the license.

Since I spend alot of time thinking about all of these issues,
    I have pretty much concluded that the answer is to force EBAY
    to "know their customers." If fewer bad people were on the venue,
    there would be fewer bad products and fraudulent listings.
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    i sent the following under the ask the seller a question. lets see if he responds to it.

"you say that there is a 1952 mantle #311 in the auction but instead of having that pic in the auction you have pics of a desk with stacks of cards on them?? that makes alot of sense. oh wait, no it doesnt."