Home Metal Detecting

possible rare bottle/jar recovered

i've posted this on another forum as well. i'm hoping someone can confirm that this jar is worth what i think it might be. it is listed in my kovels book as $400. the embossing is "mason's patent nov 30th 1858" the bottom has a "6" and three dots. and of course the color is amber, which is a fairly rare color for a mason jar. thanks for any help.

Comments

• sweet find my man, hope its worth a ton

jeff
    I collect bits and pieces of everything
    or should I say I ACCUMULATE!
    I also dabble with the darkside image

Ive recently gotten more into currency, especially modern star notes
  • Nice find! I thought it was stained red until I realized that it was your hand reflecting through the glass. Cash and Treasures just had an episode a couple weeks ago about digging up old glass bottles.
  • That looks to be the rare jar to me. Back when I collected bottles, I only saw one other one like that ever.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    Very cool! I too had to do a double take on the red hand!
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Nice!!
    I've found a few bottle dumps while looking for metal stuff. I've been giving away most of the complete bottles that I find, other than some cute small things that are easy to store. Guess I'll have to re-think that strategy.
  • some bottles are worth alot. i would'nt give anything away till i checked the books first.
  • MMMMM bottles. When I was a teen I did a lot of bottle picking around my town. At one point I have over 200 bottles of various values. I just learned that the towns oldest dump (closed in 1930) is just up the hill from my house on private property. The town filled in an old shallow quarry with garbage for about 50 years. I gotta get permission from the owner to pick the dump.
  • My wife cans a lot and we have several jars like that. One is full of pickles right now.
    Guess I should check them out .LOL
    Molon Labe