Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

New Mercs added to the rattler set

Added 2 Mercs and upgraded one today in my Mercury set of rattlers. It's getting harder and harder to find additions to this set but it's fun when I do. When I first started the search (mostly eBay) I would have 10-20 watch items at any given time. Right now I have 2 ending in a few days and they're both upgrades.

Take a look in my sig line if you're interested. I also have a couple other Mercury sets (FB, Short Set, Late Date).

If anyone is interested and can locate one of the dates I'm missing I have a 2003-D PCGS MS68FB Roosevelt for trade or I'm always interested in buying (as long as the price isn't outrageous).

Millertime

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool set - I'll keep an eye out...
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Keep it up millertime, it will be a neat set when complete.
  • Options
    USCGCraigUSCGCraig Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    Very cool Millertime. What is the lowest grade you will go for?
    Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.
  • Options
    MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭

<< <i>Very cool Millertime. What is the lowest grade you will go for? >>

Thanks. Grade doesn't matter but I don't think I will find very many low grade Mercs in the rattler slabs though. According to the July 1990 pop reports there were 61,883 mint state Mercs and only 679 in circulated grades. This is just a wild guess but there there was maybe 70-80 thousand Mercs in the rattler slabs.

I'm not even sure if it's possible to complete this set with the rattlers. I'm afraid that there's going to be quite a few years that will be impossible to locate in any grade (1919-S had maybe 50-70 examples graded total).

Millertime
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    Guess this is another case of buy the holder! image

Seriously, I have been tempted to do this same kind of a set for a different series......cool to actually see it being worked! Keep it up.
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭
    When I started this set I bought the first coin that came along (regardless of grade) to fill a hole and didn't even plan on upgrading so I was buying the holder. Since then I've upgraded a lot of the coins once or even twice and have passed up a few real dogs hoping that I will end up with a set that is above average.

What I really like about the rattlers is that without all the fancy labels and layers upon layers of plastic and inserts the simplicity of the slab places the focus back onto the coin. The visual wow of a high grade Mercury suspended in mid air is what inspired me to start this set.

I'm also assembling a type set of coins in the rattlers, that set is all about the holder. So far I have a Morgan, Ike, Walker, Franklin, Kennedy, Mercury, Buffalo and Jefferson.

Thanks for the comments everyone.
    Millertime