Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Paypal scam ??

Just recieved an email from service@paypal.com. Any thoughts/advice on this? I dont have a paypal account, but I sometimes use my brothers or a friends when I ebay. So would like to find out whats going on in case it is real, as I don't want to mess up their accounts. The weird thing is that it looks legit, and when I click a link it actually goes to paypal's website login page. But Llike I said, I dont even have a paypal??

The email:

PayPal
Notification of Limited Account Access
Dear ohjayo@aim.com,

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.We requested information from you for the following reason:

We recently received a report of unauthorized credit card use associated with this account. As a precaution, we have limited access to your PayPal account in order to protect against future unauthorized transactions.

Case ID Number: PP-635-349-812

In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will remain limited until the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately, if access to your account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further limitations or eventual account closure. We encourage you to follow our verification procedure as soon as possible to help avoid this.

Click here to login and restore your account access

Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety.

This is a final reminder to log in to PayPal as soon as possible.

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department
PayPal Email ID PP638
Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the "Help" link in the footer of any page.

PayPal Email ID PP638

Comments

• Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    never click on the link in the email. mention it to your friend or brother who has the acct and they should go to the www.paypal.com and just look and see if there are any issues. it should be simple.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Forward the email to spoof@paypal.com

You will know if it's legit within 30 minutes.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    This is BS. If you are ever wondering about your account status, just log on at www.paypal.com. Don't ever click on a link from an email.
  • Options
    I get that e-mail all the time. Atleast 5 times a year, just ignore it
  • Options
    definite phishing
    stay away
  • Options
    Paypal will never email you for info. If they need anything they will contact you through an official letter asking you to contact them through their website. Never respond to emails like that.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    It's a fake; just like all of them.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't even click on the link. It makes me sick just thinking about how many people must fall for this scam.
  • Options
    It's a fake for sure. Easiest way to tell is that instead of using your name in the notification, they use your email address. Anything official I get from Ebay and Paypal always includes my full name. I still never use the links directly though.

Mike
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always forward these to spoof@paypal.com
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    phishing scam. definitely.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    Its a Scam foward it to spoof@paypal.com
  • Options
    imageimage run like hell from it!!!!!!!!!!!
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yes, I nearly fell for one of those phony Ebay emails saying my account was gonna be suspended, was attemped to be accessed in another country, and so on. Now before you all start laughing at me, this was way back in 2003, long before these spoof emails were really well known. The email was so realistic looking, I had no reason to believe at first it was a fake. The only thing that saved me from getting totally ripped off was when I clicked on the link and started filling in the information, it asked for my bank account information. That, fortunately, was just the red flag I needed to realize this was a scam before it was too late; I opened a new browser, went to my Ebay account directly, and obviously nothing was wrong with it after all. As you all know, Ebay routinely needs a credit/debit card on file to make sure you and your account are on the up and up (or they did when I joined in 2000 anyway) but I knew they never wanted anything to do with bank/checking account numbers. Still, I had to change the password on the Ebay account because I figured they could've at least gotten that much.

To make a long story short, if you get one of these "emails" from Ebay and Paypal (and luckily also, most of the ones I get don't really do as good a job as the one I got back then; typos are a dead giveaway), open a new browser and go to the account directly (not from the email link) and you'll see it was a phony.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any email from Paypal or Ebay will ALWAYS address you by your name.
    James