Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I need help from all you guys that are good at spotting trimmed (SCAN ADDED)

You guys seem to know what to look for/spot when it comes to raw trimmed. I looked at the right edge from the back and thought it looked funky. So is this evidence of possible trimming or just edge damage?

Muchas gracias image

Arthur

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    not necessarily.

funky can mean a weird factory cut, which does happen...

but there are some giveaways, sometime -- like a bad trim job that is literally not an even cut [e.g. cut at an angle...or worse]. Bat ears sometimes are indicatives.

But look at the color of the border on the funky edge compared to the others. Depending on the age of the card, that is sometimes indicative, too
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i spotted some good trim earlier today..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Ohh.....cards.......Panandrews beat me to it...so to speak

Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭
    as did I, and it wasn't funky.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Awwww ... damn it. I forgot the pic. image

Arthur
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arthur

The right side is very wavy. But, that's just a guess from the size of the scan.

Does the card come up short/narrow?

Do you have a 10X loupe - if so look at the edge directly down on it - all the way around - see if there's a difference. If just the left side were trimmed, it would have a wavy, possibly edgy look - some call "bat ears" - also one of the outer layers may look "curled over" from the cutting.

It's like looking at a sandwich - if cut efficiently at the factory - both bread layers are equal in thickness with respect to the inner layer - whereas, if cut poorly - like a trim job - one of the bread layers looks crushed, or curled due to the knife pressing against the out layer (of bread e.g.).

It's hard to express this for me.
    mike

Mike
  • Options
    Thanks Mike. Unfortunately, I don't have the card yet as I haven't decided to pull the trigger or not. The picture isn't mine so I can't improve it or blow it up (without losing a great deal of quality).

This would be a lot easier if I had the card in hand but, alas, I'm SOL unless I cough up the dough.

Arthur

PS. Your bread analogy makes sense to me. I don't know why I never thought of that before. Thanks
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    arthur-

the bottom looks wavy to me. it is alittle difficult to tell with the white background, but you cant help that since you dont have the card yet.
  • Options
    Pat,

I saw that. But on the top it looks as though the card is just slightly curved as you can see the slight shadow it casts in the center. At least that's what I'm hoping it is. image

Arthur
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    It could be just a slight tilt.

If it's worth the gamble, go for it image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "The picture isn't mine so I can't improve it or blow it up (without losing a great deal of quality)."

///////////////////////////////////////

Right Click and save the pic.

Open the saved pic with windows picture and fax viewer.

The card is doing the wave, but there is alot of pused-back
    cardboard by some of the waves. Might be a victim of
    rubber-bands, or some rough bumps/grabs.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    I agree w/ Storm. There are a couple of areas on the card that seem to be a bit depressed (as if from a rubberband). The edges seem straight. When I cropped and straightened, it seemed like a good rectangle.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    does the seller take returns in case you can see in person that its trimmed? ask them ahead of time and mention your concern.