Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What important collection did you start on a whim?

4 or 5 years ago I bought an East Africa shilling from one of our very own because I liked the lion reverse design.

After I got the coin I admired the portrait of George V as the most regal looking of all portraits on British and commonwealth coins. I discovered that there were 4 different portraits of George V used between 1911 and 1936 and decided to buy a shilling or equivalent from every commonwealth member from his reign (a unique portrait was used on the 1927 Australian commemorative florin).

Along the way I broadened the collection to include any silver coin (3d to crown). I'm getting closer to completion, but I still have about 10 coins to go (some inexpensive but hard to find and one that is easy to find but expensive).

What collection important to you did you start on a whim or chance acquisition?

How far are you on it? Any stoppers in your set?
Obscurum per obscurius

Comments

• Options
    GooberGoober Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    Maundy Sets. I think they have an interesting historical background and I believe they're way undervalued and picking up interest rather quickly. I love the looks, especially the toning from those older red/green cases.
    Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    I woke up one morning and discovered that I was assembling a German 3rd Reich Type Set image. Now it's one of my favorite collecting areas. The set is complete, but I'm now working to get them all in Proof as well as BU. I've also expanded this area into assembling a complete set of 3rd Reich 2 & 5 Reichsmarks (all types, dates & mint marks - 99 pieces in all) in BU. 4 or 5 pieces to go, and a few upgrades needed. -Preussen

edited for spelling image
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My current D/A/M colelction of every Spanish Colonial Portrait 8 Reales ....
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭
    Switzerland, at first because I liked the idea of filling up the Dansco album that lordmarcovan had found by accident, and later, after I sold it, because I realized that there was a Mac member image who could supply me with coins in a quality that I didn't know it existed until then, at a fraction of the price of anything Greek, and most of all, without its unhealthy competition.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I realized that there was a Mac member who could supply me with coins in a quality that I didn't know it existed until then, at a fraction of the price of anything Greek, and most of all, without its unhealthy competition.

The mountain air makes Swiss numismatists healthy competition. image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    My entire Goetz collection started when I bought a "Black Shame" satirical out of curiosity nearly four years ago.

As most of you know, I was collecting CV talers back then and I saw a picture of this certain satirical within a dealer advertisement in my newly acquired Krause German Coins tome. That was 400 pieces ago and little did I know at the time what a change of my life direction it would make.

I can't even image where I'd be now had I not taken this path...
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What important collection did you start on a whim?

All of my collections began on a whim.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    WWII occupation coinage, defunct country coinage, and government in exile coinage.

It started a few years ago when, on a whim, I bought an uncircluated zinc WWII coin. I paid about ten bucks for it. The dealer told me he ought to be charging fifty because it was a condition rare piece, but nobody would by it more than ten. In the time since, I have decided he was wrong. Based upon the scarcity on the supply side, he should have charged $100 or more. Not much demand for some of these coins, but finding nice examples is quite a challenge.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    South African farthings.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WWII occupation coinage, defunct country coinage, and government in exile coinage.

It started a few years ago when, on a whim, I bought an uncircluated zinc WWII coin. I paid about ten bucks for it. The dealer told me he ought to be charging fifty because it was a condition rare piece, but nobody would by it more than ten. In the time since, I have decided he was wrong. Based upon the scarcity on the supply side, he should have charged $100 or more. Not much demand for some of these coins, but finding nice examples is quite a challenge.

>>

There's a lot of base metal stuff that people assume is common so don't collect it.

Some of it wasn't common to start with and a lot of coins have been withdrawn
    and melted by the issuer and suffered incredibly high attrition.

I started a telephone token collection when I didn't even know what they were.
    Now I've got more pieces thanb are listed in the catalog and lack only a few of the
    catalog pieces.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What important collection did you start on a whim?

All of my collections began on a whim. >>

Mine too. Especially this very-hard-and-very-expensive-to-complete-in-mint-state U.S. Philippines complete series from 1903-1945 (over 100 coins)!

• Options
    I guess all my current collecting tastes were a whim at some point.

I purchased a small bag of mixed world coins at an auction one day, and one of those turned out to be a very worn mexican 1 real. After that, I decided to work on 2 reales of the same type.

After a couple years on that path, I broadened my search to general world coins of the same size and time period.

I would imagine that all collecting steams can eventually be broken down to a whim at some point in time.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    My Medals collection, I had gone thru the US collecting and found nothing more of interest and finding worthy candidates for my Lions/Cars/BBL's was difficult. Saw some beautiful Victoria's on ebay and that started me medal collecting
  • Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    My medal collection too! I bought a medal from a local dealer for a friend and send him pictures of the same. He did not like the pictures and wanted to return the medal. I liked it so much that decided to keep it and that started the collection. It has been a year now and though I do not still actively seek medals, get nice ones when see them on the bay. Incidentally my friend had encouraged me to start a medal collection to complement the coins one.
  • Options
    Canadian pure nickel coinage. The RCM is now actively withdrawing pure nickel coins from circulation, so I have kicked into gear to buy as much PL and BU 1968-2000 Canadian as I can. Nickel is nearing $20 a pound today.
  • Options

<< <i>What important collection did you start on a whim?

All of my collections began on a whim. >>

Most of my collections started after I read a book or article about a country, historical period or series of coins.

My British Commonwealth and colonies collection is the only one I can think of that started when I saw a coin that I liked about bought it, only to do the research after the fact.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After years of watching such movies as "The Robe", "The Fall of the Roman Empire", "Quo Vadis", "Gladiator",...etc,
    I started collecting Roman coins.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Canadian pure nickel coinage. The RCM is now actively withdrawing pure nickel coins from circulation, so I have kicked into gear to buy as much PL and BU 1968-2000 Canadian as I can. Nickel is nearing $20 a pound today. >>

It made it.

It closed off the high but got over $20 today.

I haven't done the math but believes this exceeds the value of silver in 1965.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I ran the numbers and exchange rate and a Canadian 25c pure nickel coin is just about face value worth of the metal. I think you're right, clad. Nickel is now where silver was in 1965. Canada's on plated steel now and New Zealand just made the switch. I bought a pile of PL pure nickel Canadian from my local dealer today, just so I don't have to pay an arm and a leg later on. When they all disappear from circulation, prices undoubtedly will go up.

Here's a great article on nickel, it is critical nature and the Sudbury, Ontario mines.

Nickel importance
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I wanted a 1 troy ounce gold bullion coin and was looking at the Maple Leaf when I was in Canada in the early eighties. My wife surprised me with a 1983 China Panda and that started it all. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    My 1867 Romanian proofs and specimens. Bought one for a lark on Ebay, liked it, felt they were underpriced so I decided to try and get them all.
  • Options
    Here's a shot of the coin that started my commonwealth set:

Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    LouieLouie Posts: 1,132
    Got a silver maple leaf coin and a Britannia in a swap and was hooked. Now I am actively pursuing them but am finding it very hard to obtain in swaps. Guess I will have to go the ebay route but hate to pay the very high shipping costs that some people place on their ads.