Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

If I try regrade of 1792 half disme I'll lose the OGH

A minor oversight - I forgot to register my 1792 half disme in my top ranked, Famous U.S. Coins, 100 Greatest U.S. Coins set. image Dummy! And it was my best ebay purchase EVER! Just one of those sudden impulse, spur-of-the-moment, Buy-It-Now purchases. (Of course, I get ALL my coins on ebay.) I've provided some high quality photos. Check 'em out and see for yourself.

When it comes time to sell I'd be better off having the coin in it's old green holder ("OGH"), unless an upgrade attempt were to be successful. Although I think the odds are against getting the coin's grade raised, that doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't still good enough to justify taking the risk of getting the coin back with the same grade, but in a brand new holder.
I am not kidding,

G99G
I collect 20-slab, blue plastic PCGS coin boxes. To me, every empty box is like a beating heartimage NOT.

People come up sometimes, and ask me, G99G, are you kidding? And I answer them no, I am NOT KIDDING.

Every empty box?
C'mon!

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Sounds like a great coin. Do you mind posting pics for us all?

Keep cruising on that set you're making, it's making great headway.
  • Options
    The pictures are now posted for all 12 coins. Are you having trouble finding the photos?
    I am not kidding,

G99G
    I collect 20-slab, blue plastic PCGS coin boxes. To me, every empty box is like a beating heartimage NOT.

People come up sometimes, and ask me, G99G, are you kidding? And I answer them no, I am NOT KIDDING.

Every empty box?
    C'mon!
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you truly believe the coin to be undergraded, leave it as is.

(Of course, I get ALL my coins on ebay.)

I would caution you that this isn't the best tack to take when you're spending serious money on coins!
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    What is the grade now?
    Dan
  • Options
    Send it to DH for a walk-thru regrade & he will reinsert the OGH if you ask him nicely. image
  • Options
    Mine is graded VF25; Wm. Walser's (see photo below) Copper, Nickel and Silver Type Set (1792-1964) example is a VF20. So, should I go for the upgrade, or just "fuget" about it?

(And I FINALLY figured out out to paste a photo in a post. Hooray!)

I am not kidding,

G99G

Every empty box?
    C'mon!
  • Options

<< <i>Mine is graded VF25; Wm. Walser's (see photo below) Copper, Nickel and Silver Type Set (1792-1964) example is a VF20. So, should I go for the upgrade, or just "fuget" about it?

(And I FINALLY figured out out to paste a photo in a post. Hooray!) >>

From the photos, it looks like there is at least a 10 point difference between Walser's coin and your own. That said, however, Walser's hald disme looks no better than a Fine 15. Just my opinion, FWIW, and it ain't worth much.

Nevertheless, you wrote that yours is in an old green holder, so I think you'd have a 25% shot of an upgrade, perhaps even a 1 in 3 shot of one. Back in the early to mid 1990s, PCGS was considerably tougher on early Type than now, so it's worth a shot. You are #1 in the Top 100 List now, Mr. Gobrecht, so it won't make a difference in the rankings. You are well ahead of #2 so there's little danger of him (or her) catching up anytime soon. You'll soon be into Monster Money after one or two more acquistions, so be prudent. As another poster wrote, buying ALL your material off eBay can be dangerous unless you know the seller or know ofthe seller's reputation. Remeber, there's no Santa Claus in numismatics. If the deal looks too good to be true, it probably is!

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • Options
    When I said that I bought all of my coins on ebay, I WAS JUST KIDDING!!!
    I am not kidding,

G99G

Every empty box?
    C'mon!
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    We knew you were. Weuns were

just pulling your chain.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    You have neat coins. Thanks for bringing them to my attention! I very much enjoyed looking through your registry set.

Wm. Walser's coin looks to have a nicer planchet than yours. It also seems original while yours may have been cleaned at some point. Yours has some scratches or gouges on the reverse that are not on the other coin. I would love to compare both coins side by side as the photos were taken by different people (and I've never had one of these on my hands!).

In my opinion, for this coin, the holder isn't worth much. I wouldn't worry about the grade on the label, nor would I worry about the color of the label. The coin is what it is and it is a scarce and desirable piece.

Frankly, please pardon me for expressing my honest opinion, if your coin gets upgraded and the coins were priced to the label and not the coin I would be buying WWs coin.
  • Options

<< <i>You have neat coins. Thanks for bringing them to my attention! I very much enjoyed looking through your registry set.

Wm. Walser's coin looks to have a nicer planchet than yours. It also seems original while yours may have been cleaned at some point. Yours has some scratches or gouges on the reverse that are not on the other coin. I would love to compare both coins side by side as the photos were taken by different people (and I've never had one of these on my hands!).

In my opinion, for this coin, the holder isn't worth much. I wouldn't worry about the grade on the label, nor would I worry about the color of the label. The coin is what it is and it is a scarce and desirable piece.

Frankly, please pardon me for expressing my honest opinion, if your coin gets upgraded and the coins were priced to the label and not the coin I would be buying WWs coin. >>

While it may be true that the Walser specimen might have fewer marks, I believe both were cleaned at one point. In fact, all of the 1792 half dismes I've ever seen in my career in grades of EF or less were likely cleaned at some point, a rather common occurence in early US Type. The Walser coins seems to have had a Clorox job to mask the cleaning, so I really can't comment on the surfaces as the charcoal color can hide many insults.

I saw two other 1792 half dismes at the recent Long Beach show earlier this month. One had been burnished but had virtually identical detail to the VF-25 and was in a NCS holder marked EF detail, environmental damage. The burnishing was obvious and probably an attempt to conceal some graffiti. Net price to me was $85,000. I saw yet another in a F-12 holder, also green label and PCGS graded F-12 ($55,000 price to me btw) that had obviously been bent and straightened. It was a bright coin, certainly cleaned. I doubt if it had been a 1795 half dime, FAR more common in any grade than a 1792, that PCGS would have slabbed it at all.

Personally, I far prefer the VF25 in Gobrecht's collection. It's much sharper with far more detail. These are so rare and so desirable that either would be highly sought after if and when they enter the marketplace.

Ira
  • Options
    <<Personally, I far prefer the VF25 in Gobrecht's collection. It's much sharper with far more detail. These are so rare and so desirable that either would be highly sought after if and when they enter the marketplace.>>

I agree. I guess I was trying to say I could easily rationalize owning the WW example if I could save lots of money. image
  • Options

<< <i><<Personally, I far prefer the VF25 in Gobrecht's collection. It's much sharper with far more detail. These are so rare and so desirable that either would be highly sought after if and when they enter the marketplace.>>

I agree. I guess I was trying to say I could easily rationalize owning the WW example if I could save lots of money. image >>

Carl,

Doing some research, I could only find an NGC VF-20 that sold about 3 years ago in a large national auction for about $74,000 IIRC. It looked a bit better than the Walser example, but definitely not as sharp & detailed a the VF-25 of Gobrecht's. Prices on this material are quite a bit higher now, so I couldn't hope to estimate what would be saved. I don't know how many $$ the original poster has into his VF-25.

Ira
  • Options
    I bought a turn of the century, frame Victorian house and I found the coin in the basement, along with a 25-year-old skateboard and a rusty, 12-gauge, double-barreled shotgun. image

So I guess I got the coin for the price of the house. I think that either makes the house a big bargain, or else that I way overpaid for the skateboard, the shotgun and half disme. image
    I am not kidding,

G99G

Every empty box?
    C'mon!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you are convinced of the upgradeability of that coin leave it as is. If placed in an auction, if there is an upgrade shot there will be buyers who recognize that fact and compete accordingly. Even if offered on the bourse for more money because of being a nice example for that grade, it will realize more to a knowledgeable buyer. Even the ogh holders end to bring more money for a solid coin for the grade. Where the ogh label doesn't help is when the coin is below average or marginal.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it comes time to sell I'd be better off having the coin in it's old green holder ("OGH"), unless an upgrade attempt were to be successful. Although I think the odds are against getting the coin's grade raised, that doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't still good enough to justify taking the risk of getting the coin back with the same grade, but in a brand new holder.

You would think a true coin collector would accept the grade no matter what it comes back as. I've let my feelings be known here whether my coins upgrade or get downgraded. Playing this whining game about whether it downgrades makes me laugh! image What you don't seem to understand is the fact that the coin never changes, it's always the same coin. Only the grading standards have suffered the gradual change over the years. Being the coin is as rare and scarce as it is, true collectors will only be concerned about it's qualities, how it compares. They are not going to worry about what PCGS thinks! If you're looking for the best and it is the best you've seen, it's just a matter of sending it in until they get it right or until you're satisfied with or accept the results!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    The last couple of posts in particular prompted this response, but it also applies, more or less, to some of the earlier "posters". I just want to say how much I appreciate all of the responses and some of the the truly thought provoking insights you've provided. The thoughts and ideas, many of which never occurred to me (and some opinions with which I disagree) are exactly why I started this string. It's truly delightful to read and then think about how different people look at this issue completely differently, and I really appreciate your input. Some of the ideas expressed are real eye openers for me, and taken as a whole the responses provide me with just the kind of mini-education that I was hoping for. My thanks you all. image
    I am not kidding,

G99G

Every empty box?
    C'mon!
  • Options

<< <i>I bought a turn of the century, frame Victorian house and I found the coin in the basement, along with a 25-year-old skateboard and a rusty, 12-gauge, double-barreled shotgun. >>

Outstanding coin, outstanding story.
    My wife just walked in and asked me what I was laughing about.
    I didn't tell her, she would have used the story to talk me into a new house. image
    Dan
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I would leave it as is
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    WTH...send it in and have its portrait done too image
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for all of your input. It's been 5 weeks and I've decided - I am NOT going to try for the upgrade - at least not for now, anyway. My decision process was pretty analytical. I put a guesstimate on the difference in value between a VF25 grade and a VF30 grade- let's say $5,000 to $10,000. I assigned a value to the old green holder - let's say $2,000 to $3,000. Finally, I estimated a probability for the odds of getting the upgrade - let's say 25%. On balance, I decided not to roll the dice. I tried to be objective, and I don't know how accurate I was, but I can always change my mind. So I guess you could say I decided to keep my options open. That was my thought process. image

Gobrecht's 100 Raisinet Collection - 100 Greatest U.S. Coins - The Number One Finest Set of All Time - 12 Famous U.S. Coins, with photos - Click this link and check it out!
    I am not kidding,

G99G

Every empty box?
    C'mon!
  • Options
    All said and done, I'd take it to a big show when PCGS graders will be there, and just ask their opinion.
    In hand can let you see more than the best pictures ever taken. Besides, you have a winner either way, but with an upgrade you could buy another house and find another super coin.
    Dan
  • Options
    Thanks Dan! That's a good idea, and it happens that I was already planning on attending a "really big shoo" (to quote Ed Sullivan!) later this year. The only thing is that I'd be a little apprehensive just traveling with it and carrying it around.

I am not kidding,

G99G

Every empty box?
    C'mon!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gobrechts99Grapevine:

Good move keeping it as is.

Pleasing to the eye coin. I still say there is indeed a slight advantage having such coin in the old OGH. The theory of "what if" to a prospective buyer.

Enjoy it!!!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it only takes 1 or 2 people who see something in that ogh (untried for upgrade) holder to pay more for it. Once re-entombed in new plastic, it has been judged under current standards.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold