Home Stamps Forum
Options

Help - just found large stamp collection in grandma's basement

A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
In cleaning out my grandmother's house, I came across a sizable stamp collection that was built by my grandfather and uncle in the late 60's.

They must have thought U.N. stamps were going to be something special one day - there are tons of them. Mint strips, FDC's, probably 200-300 mint Chagall panels... is any of this stuff worth anything, and if it is, how do you go about unloading it in a manner which wouldn't consist of running a bunch of nickle and dime auctions?

There's also a ton of Israeli stuff, also from late 60's - FDC's, mint strips of stamps, booklets about the artists of certain stamps...

Some late-50's, early 60's US FDC's which I know aren't worth much just from looking at eBay. A neat looking Airmail letter with a 6c stamp postmarked 1938 with a picture depicting the seal of the State of New Hampshire, and representing it's 150th annversary.

Same deal with this stuff - is any of it worth anything, and how do you go about selling it off without giving it away (assuming it has some value)?

One other thing of note is a near-full roll of 13c Liberty Bell stamps with the perfs cut through the right side of the bell, approximately 1/4" off from where they should be.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I have only scratched the surface, there are still a bunch of binders full of stamps and stuff - the quantity is overwhelming.

Comments

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    With the exception of Scott #38 (souvenir sheet), 99% of United Nations material isn't worth squat. If you look in Linn's Stamp news, there are folks that buy MNH U.N. for between 35 cents and 45 cents on the dollar.

That roll of error stamps may be worth a bit. Whatever you do, do NOT break them down into singles or pairs until you consult with someone.

Can't help with the other stuff, as I'm primarily a pre-WWII era collector...

Good luck!
  • Options
    StampAlarmStampAlarm Posts: 1,668
    Check out Alan Blair auction for comparisons.

Jerry
  • Options
    Hi,

I suggest you try this website. Your situation with inheriting/finding an old stamp collection/album is pretty common.
    http://www.virtualstampclub.com/inherit.html

Regards,
    Dave N.