Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Poll: Should Sportflics Be in Basic Sets?

Pretty simple question, should Sportflics Be in Basic Sets?

Clear Skies,
Mark
Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.

Comments

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely. They were nationally distributed, had comprehensive checklists, and were officially licensed. They're every bit as valid of basic, mainstream sets as Topps sets are.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Absolutely. They were nationally distributed, had comprehensive checklists, and were officially licensed. They're every bit as valid of basic, mainstream sets as Topps sets are.
    >>

Agreed
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the should.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Plus, they were issued in packs.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    absolutely. People often forget that when they first hit they were hotter than any other set.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    I still pick up Sportflics(older, mid to late 80s anyways) whenever I see them. I remember them at a "yout". Yes, to your question they should be in the basic registry sets not only due to there national distribution but because of the popularity of them.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No way. When a player has 85 cards in their basic set, as George Brett does, how can that be considered basic? That's convoluted, diluted, and complicated. Nothing basic about it. A basic set is one card per year, in Brett's case it would be the run of topps cards from 75-93. Donruss, fleer, flair, Studio, sportsflic and all other junk should be in the master set.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO!!!!!!!!!! image

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>No way. When a player has 85 cards in their basic set, as George Brett does, how can that be considered basic? That's convoluted, diluted, and complicated. Nothing basic about it. A basic set is one card per year, in Brett's case it would be the run of topps cards from 75-93. Donruss, fleer, flair, Studio, sportsflic and all other junk should be in the master set. >>

I'm a Topps collector and I think you have no idea what you're talking about. George Brett had a career that spanned 3 DECADES. 85 Cards is not some crazy out of this world number. A basic set is far from one card a year, that's a basic collection.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Probably. I considered Sportflics to be a mainstream brand in 1987.
    My Topps Heritage site.
  • Options
    100% yes. Side note, a coworker brought in a 1986 Sportsflics Decades set yesterday and the black and white cards of Ruth, etc. were SPECTACULAR! For $12 on ebay, he picked himself up a really nice set to look at.
    Collecting Nolan Ryan Master, 1968 Basic, and WHA, as well as unused and authentic tickets from 60s-70s rock concerts.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting question. And I'm not trying to steal the show here, but it leads me to another question. If Barry Larkin makes the HOF one day, should his 1986 Sportflic Rookies card be the one chosen for the HOF rookies set? That's Larkin's only rookie card. For years I thought '87 Fleer was the Larkin rookie to have. Turns out it's not even a rookie card. My vote would be for the '86 SR card.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Basic card set means the "base" cards from the major, nationally distributed sets that most people could collect w/o going to regional or specialty stores. To classify Donruss, Fleer, Score etc. as junk is pretty narrow minded as many of those sets in the 80's and 90's were far superior than anything topps put out at the time.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay Captain America, point taken.

You would think a person could have an opinion here without being told they don't know what they're talking about.image
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    100 % yes vote for me too.

The only cards I have a problem with being added to either the basic or master sets are those that are serial numbered 1/5 or what have you that would eliminate the possibility of all people interested in completing the set to do so and cards that dont depict the player specifically, such as team cards or the like.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Why does PSA include "Metz Bakeries" in the basic sets? Were these a regional thing? As I don't recall ever seeing them in the 80's. Also, how were they distributed?
  • Options
    "Why does PSA include "Metz Bakeries" in the basic sets?"

Yes, they are regional. Why they include some odd ball cards in basic sets is beyond me.

However, perhaps if PSA is looking they see that we think Sportflics are regular sportcards appropriate for regular basic sets. (Which of course they are.)

I forgot about that Bonds card. Good question.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Kind of a side note on this thread, what year of sportflics did you like the best and why. Never really collected them though I do have the 94 sportflic rookie and traded set. I like when they started using one continual picture, i.e. like a person swinging the bat, on the cards, instead of the 3 different poses, like the headshot, batting and fielding on the card image.

Kirk
  • Options

<< <i>Kind of a side note on this thread, what year of sportflics did you like the best and why. Never really collected them though I do have the 94 sportflic rookie and traded set. I like when they started using one continual picture, i.e. like a person swinging the bat, on the cards, instead of the 3 different poses, like the headshot, batting and fielding on the card image.

Kirk >>

Personally I like the 86-87's the best. A ton of stars, some nice rookies as well. For a long time I didn't see them until maybe around 1996 again, and by then they weren't what they once were to me.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    I guess I like the 1987 the best, but one should probley factor in my age (born in 1974) and add the fact that 1987 was my first serious year as a collector. (By the way, I do not think I am serious collector right now....or at least in cards).

Mark
  • Options
    I think they should I mean look how awesome they show up on a scan!...
    and this one..
  • Options
    Do you think the later year SportsfliX cards should be in the Reg sets too?
    You know the 1996 artists proof version of the sportsflix cards were limited to only 500 made!! For 1996 that is Really low.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Wondering if PSA would now consider adding Sportflix, since they took out the candy lids from basic sets. Most seem to agree Sportflix behond, just a most agreed that candy lids did not?

Clear Skies,
    Mark Bostick
    www.meteoritearticles.com
  • Options
    If you add Sportflics then go ahead and add Select, Select certified, Ultra, Circa, Flair, OPC, Emotion, Zenith, and Fantastic Sams.