Home Sports Talk

Former ECW Champ Mike Awesome found dead

Man, another one gone and this time it was said to look like suicide pending the autopsy. A very sad day. Mike was truly awesome, especially in his matches with Masato Tanaka. It's a shame he jumped to WCW where they ruined his career with "That 70's Guy" gimmick.

Comments

• It is a real shame...Awesome took a serious hit on his credibility with the fans when he jumped ship from ECW to WCW with the ECW belt. I'll never forget the whole incident (when there were three big wrestling circuits), where WWF allowed Taz to go back in the ring for ECW to take back the belt from Awesome.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I don't think wrestling will ever see another era like that (early to mid 90's up until around 2002) - fans today are much more interested in MMA and the UFC. But, it sure was fun to watch those matches back then, especially ECW. Sad to hear this about Mike.
  • kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    It seems a lot of wrestlers have drug problems and/or die early deaths.
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It seems a lot of wrestlers have drug problems and/or die early deaths. >>

indeed..
    ·p_A·
  • Although professional wrestlers are indeed atheletes, they are sad pumped up individuals. Too bad for this guy.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Actually guys, although most (I'm guessing here), are on roids, the last 4 or 5 major deaths in wrestling have been drug overdoses of other kinds, like pain killers or sleeping pills (these guys are on ridiculous schedules, they fight 3 or 4 nights a week and usually have to drive to all the desitnations themselves). I used to be a big wrestling fan, and I can tell you they deserve alot more credit than they are given, they truly are gifted atheletes. And if anyone wants to watch one hell of a fighter go back and rent an old ECW main event with Mike Awesome when he was the champ--the guy truly was AWESOME!
    R.I.P Mike.
    Jay
  • Always liked Awesome in ECW and I'm sad to hear of his passing.

We have been losing so many wrestlers....sad, very sad.

Too bad, but this year the WWE will be inducting "Mr Perfect" Curt Hennig into the Hall of Fame. It's too bad because he won't be there due to his death as well. It's a shame. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards

• << <i>Actually guys, although most (I'm guessing here), are on roids, the last 4 or 5 major deaths in wrestling have been drug overdoses of other kinds, like pain killers or sleeping pills (these guys are on ridiculous schedules, they fight 3 or 4 nights a week and usually have to drive to all the desitnations themselves). I used to be a big wrestling fan, and I can tell you they deserve alot more credit than they are given, they truly are gifted atheletes. And if anyone wants to watch one hell of a fighter go back and rent an old ECW main event with Mike Awesome when he was the champ--the guy truly was AWESOME!
    R.I.P Mike.
    Jay >>

Yes, most of the deaths are caused by pain killers, but the lifestyles these guys live do not help the case as you mentioned. The roids coupled with the drugs, alcohol, and travel schedule that causes these guys to eat at Denny's, McDonald's and Shoneys on a regular basis would cause havoc even on the best talent. Add that to the fact that they are constant pressure to step it up in the ring with more outrageous stunts (chairs, ladders, barb wire, etc.) and lack of medical coverage, and it is no surprise what happens to these guys. It is truly sad.

And not to dwell on stereotypes, but wrestling does draw a certain employee and fan base if you know what I mean.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Actually, if you research the history of Entertainment Wrestling, you'll see that the fan base has changed SO much since the earlier 1900s(when "Sports Entertainment" became a true nationally popular sport). You'd be VERY suprised, I know I was. RIP Awesome.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards